Lusting for a Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary,

I was up at the big Stihl shop in Sedro Woolley, buying a part. One of the sales guys told me that he has been seeing a few more Dolmars around, but it is still a Stihl :laugh: area, with Husky coming in a distant 2nd, fwiw.

The guy I bought my 5100 from operates a VERY small shop. Most Dolmar "dealers" I've called in WA either have no Dolmars in stock at all, or maybe 1 or 2 at best. It seems as though Dolmar is serious about not selling via the internet, so maybe one of the more well established OPE shops around here will pick them up.

Ron

You must have been up at Wood's Logging Supply... they are the best saw shop in the North Sound as far as I'm concerend.

Ask for Chuck next time you're in there... he will get ya what ya need.

The Dolmars are starting to show up here and there... I haven't seen any yet. The 7900 is a saw I have actually considered owning. For reals...:D

Gary

The 5100 is much lighter at 50cc and is actually a darn smooth AV. It handles an 18 B/C okay with a sharp chain. I've gotten to like mine fine, although I am still not totally smitten by it

Heh....wait till you get a chance to run my piped and modded one......you'll be floored at its speed!

For reference, my modded 346 cuts 50% faster than a bone stock one...and lags the 5100 by maybe 10%...Id reckon a stock 5100 is at least 10% faster than a stock 346. The general consensus is that Huskys typically gain more when modded than Dolmar or Stihl.

attached is a pic of me flippin' out...excited that we did the $1800 rotten alder with huge laterals over two yards..in 5 hours

Last edited:
The 5100 is much lighter at 50cc and is actually a darn smooth AV. It handles an 18 B/C okay with a sharp chain. I've gotten to like mine fine, although I am still not totally smitten by it (like I am the 7900). The 7900 is at least 3 lbs heavier, and not quite as smooth. But it is a power monster for it's weight and with a sharp chain pulls a 28 inch bar well.

I'll bet for what you do you would like a 5100 well. I wish they had a second dog and I wish they returned to idle a little bit faster after full revs. But I cut with it a bunch today, and it keeps getting a little stronger all the time. For the price here, they are especially a great deal.

Hi Turner, thanks for your answer to me. I don't ment I would have a 7900, it's a 5100 I shall have. But I have interest foe saws, so therefor I asked, like to know the different.....:) :cheers:

Hi Turner, thanks for your answer to me. I don't ment I would have a 7900, it's a 5100 I shall have. But I have interest foe saws, so therefor I asked, like to know the different.....:) :cheers:

Why ask here? :confused: Isn't the Norweigan Saw Technical Institute open? Or is he sleeping? ;)

I also wanted a 7900 or 5100 I read a lot of good things about them on here, but I have no dealers with saw's in stock. All I can find from local dealers is the 540 old model. I would like to at least pick up the saw and handle it first, the 7900 according to specs seams to be the best for power to weight and has so many positive things said abut it. But for me if I have trouble even finding that saw what will I do when I need parts! I bet I could'nt even get a air filter. I can't even get the blue version of the saw and dam I would like to look at one up close and most likely snap and buy it! So for me my next ''big'' saw will be a 2171, I don't really need it I have a 044 but I want one! Thats what this game is all about isn't it. If you want it get it but I cant even find a dolmar and I tried! Plus every dealer I called were very unhelpful.

Heh....wait till you get a chance to run my piped and modded one......you'll be floored at its speed!

For reference, my modded 346 cuts 50% faster than a bone stock one...and lags the 5100 by maybe 10%...Id reckon a stock 5100 is at least 10% faster than a stock 346. The general consensus is that Huskys typically gain more when modded than Dolmar or Stihl.

attached is a pic of me flippin' out...excited that we did the $1800 rotten alder with huge laterals over two yards..in 5 hours

I look forward to running both your modded dolmars. I'll bring fresh earplugs.

That's an interesting looking crew. Wonder what it is they talk about at lunch break....

Dolmar Sales Channel and Parts

I also wanted a 7900 or 5100 I read a lot of good things about them on here, but I have no dealers with saw's in stock. All I can find from local dealers is the 540 old model. I would like to at least pick up the saw and handle it first, the 7900 according to specs seams to be the best for power to weight and has so many positive things said abut it. But for me if I have trouble even finding that saw what will I do when I need parts! I bet I could'nt even get a air filter. I can't even get the blue version of the saw and dam I would like to look at one up close and most likely snap and buy it! So for me my next ''big'' saw will be a 2171, I don't really need it I have a 044 but I want one! Thats what this game is all about isn't it. If you want it get it but I cant even find a dolmar and I tried! Plus every dealer I called were very unhelpful.

Dolmar really needs to work on it's channel sales programs. All of the great engineering efforts put forward don't amount to much if we have to struggle to buy their saws and find parts. Both the manufacturer and regional distibutors need to do a better job of recruiting and retaining shops. From what I read here, there is a stronger dealer presence in places on the east cost and the midwest than what I experience here in the northwest.

That being said, I think you can get some parts online at site sponsor Amicks, or perhaps some of the Dolmar dealers who post here could help out in a pinch too (not sure if their sales agreements allow this however).

I have a Husky 372 (twin of the 2171), and have been very pleased with it. I would think that the 7900 has a fair bit more grunt than the 372. Hopefully I'll find out soon:rock:

Dolmar really needs to work on it's channel sales programs. All of the great engineering efforts put forward don't amount to much if we have to struggle to buy their saws and find parts. Both the manufacturer and regional distibutors need to do a better job of recruiting and retaining shops. From what I read here, there is a stronger dealer presence in places on the east cost and the midwest than what I experience here in the northwest.

That being said, I think you can get some parts online at site sponsor Amicks, or perhaps some of the Dolmar dealers who post here could help out in a pinch too (not sure if their sales agreements allow this however).

I have a Husky 372 (twin of the 2171), and have been very pleased with it. I would think that the 7900 has a fair bit more grunt than the 372. Hopefully I'll find out soon:rock:
Yes the numbers look great on the 7900, I was told that dolmar was around here 25 years ago but if they left and come back for how long? I order a lot of truck parts from the U.S, a air locker costs me a lot less than buying one up here. But when I count in shipping costs for something like a air filter I am better off staying local.

we've got a great dealer here in mccall/lake fork idaho.

after holding the 5100, and running the 7900, i think i'd just buy the 7900 and be done with it. there really isn't much difference in weight. price is more, but the 7900 is a sweety.

remove muffler, wack open the baffle plate, drill a hole in the outer shell.

only other thing is she needs a tooth larger drive wheel then stock.

That makes my saw a "full mod", and it takes an 066 or bigger to be faster. i'm sure there are ported 46's out there that are faster, but not that i've run into locally.

My 5100 seemed to cut way better then 10% over my 346....I would say it was closer to 25% for me anyway...

Latest posts

Back