M-tronic/Autotune bologna??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wigglesworth

Booned
Reaction score
So, as most of you know, Im not into the auto saws. They just creep me out a bit.

If I read this correctly, Stihl says you can run bad gas, in 110 degree weather, with a clogged up filter at 5000' elevation and it will run fantastic?

In the field, the M-Tronic™ automatically and constantly adjusts the fuel-air mixture, maintaining maximum operating efficiency under varying conditions like altitude, outside temperature, a dirty air filter or poor fuel quality

And the Husky says the same....

AutoTune gives optimal engine performance throughout automatic engine setting. No time spent on carburettor adjustments. It compensates for different fuels, altitude, humidity, temperature and clogged air filter.

Am I the only one who see's the "auto" systems as nothing more than a glorified rev-limiter? I may be wrong, but to me this is just the end result of what they have been trying to do for years, as in take away the ability of the consumer to adjust his own saw? They have been coming to us for several years now with limiter caps, removed high side screws or epoxied up screws, choked up mufflers, etc. etc.

And Stihl mentions this...

No Manual Carburetor Settings The M-Tronic™ system electronically adjusts the fuel/air mixture in the carburetor for all operating conditions: start, idle, partial and full load.

If I read this right, there is only 4 different settings in the whole system. Start, idle, partial and full load. That would explain the "gear changing" that folks that run these saws describe.

Im just not buying it.

I know this thread probably chaps a lot of folks hind ends, and thats not really my intentions. Im just looking at it without blinders on. If im wrong, somebody show me the error of my ways. :)

Well I'm not all in with the auto tune saws just yet, there will be issues with these systems the first go around. Now lets look at the reaction people had to FI in the 80's and what we all know now, the concerns people had were baseless. The AT systems are new, in time they will be the norm and in the end we will porting the electronics:) just like tuners do with cars. Evolve or die.

Last edited:
I hope that they don't try to completely phase out the basic non auto tune saws, that way we still have a choice. I have read a lot of positive stuff about the 441. Only time will tell

the cost of repair is going to be the killer

I imagine your exactly right. Kinda hard to chase an air leak when your carb is doing whatever the coil is tellling it to do...

Well I'm not all in with the auto tune saws just yet, they will have issues with these systems the first go around. Now lets look at the reaction people had to FI in the 80's and what we all know now, the concerns people had were baseless. The AT systems are new, in time they will be the norm and in the end we will porting the electronics:) just like tuner do with cars. Evolve or die.

Real FI would be nice. I mean the real kind, with EGT sensors, MAF sensors, real sensors that give acutal operating conditions of the saw, not just the RPM the thing's turning.

Remember the old limited carbs? The ones with the brass plug with the BB and spring in em?

All they did is replace the brass plug with a solenoid and wire it to the limited coil.

When someone makes a lil' non-at/m-tronic saw as good as my 241c is stock, I'll look at buying it. Until then, you can keep your non AT saws and I'll keep my lil' m-tronic and a smile on my dial every time I use it.

I imagine your exactly right. Kinda hard to chase an air leak when your carb is doing whatever the coil is tellling it to do...

Real FI would be nice. I mean the real kind, with EGT sensors, MAF sensors, real sensors that give acutal operating conditions of the saw, not just the RPM the thing's turning

Remember the old limited carbs? The ones with the brass plug with the BB and spring in em?

All they did is replace the brass plug with a solenoid and wire it to the limited coil.

Yeah Jer, that's progress.
Add 12 more junky little pieces of crap to break or malfunction!!!
Poo on all that electronic junk!
Just give me an old fashioned carburetor!

Mike

I hear you, BUT, have you run a 441C? For a work saw, I don't see where you can go wrong. For what you and I like to do to them, not so much.

I despise the 441 saws. The 576 to me aint much better. They're both heavy, awkard, and in my eyes, offer nothing that the previous generation of saws didnt do fantastically.

I "personally" have not ran one. I "personally" know several folks, who I take their word as the truth, who say they are absolutley nothing to write home about. They say the 441 hunts and "changes gears" and really offers no performance over the base model. I've heard that the 576 is much better, but still nothing worth writing home about.

I "personally" have not ran one. I "personally" know several folks, who I take their word as the truth, who say they are absolutley nothing to write home about. They say the 441 hunts and "changes gears" and really offers no performance over the base model.

The one I had only did that when it first came out of the box. Once it had a couple tanks of fuel through it, that was gone. Power wise, it would absolutely anihilate a MS440. Power was right on par with the 576AT. I despise their constuction, but they are the strongest stock 70cc saw I've ever run.

I personally have run both the 441 Mtronic and the 576 Autotune and I wouldn't trade my 372 for one of each and $500.00 to boot!!!

Mike

The one I had only did that when it first came out of the box. Once it had a couple tanks of fuel through it, that was gone. Power wise, it would absolutely anihilate a MS440. Power was right on par with the 576AT. I despise their constuction, but they are the strongest stock 70cc saw I've ever run.

I've got a box stock 044 that I'd put a 10 spot on it spanking, humiliating and forcing a 441cm or 576at to run home with their tails between their legs.

Late 440? Maybe so. Early 12mm 044? They don't have a prayer. I've done spanked a Sawzillia 441 with it quite handily....

Jeremy, guys like you and me, have to remember that these saws aren't designed for us. Like you, I still want a carb that I can control myself. However, 99.99% of the user out there will benefit from these new technologies. When a user doesn't have to worry about his saw running lean, that user is the winner.

Latest posts

Back