Mac 10-10a

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMaslar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a coil for my Mac 10-10a. I'm not seeing anything on e-Bay. I need the sound of my old Mac in my life. It's as good a therapist as I can think of 😅

As Tom says, the coils are pretty reliable, in the case of no spark I always start with the points. Often times a simple cleaning will solve an ignition issue.

If the coil wire has damage, they can be replaced. They should just screw out (there is a coarse threaded stud in the bottom of the socket) but often time they will twist off flush with the coil. In those instances I use a hollow screw extractor bit to carefully remove the remnants of the plug wire.

DSC05852.JPG

Use some RTV or similar sealer on the wire when you install a new one.

If all else fails, contact me as I have all of the various parts.

Mark

Do they run points? Coils are pretty reliable, but the condensers fail over time. You can try that first. Condensers are easy to test with a mm
How's it going? I chipped it the first time I had a problem. I then went through the carb and after that I replaced the plug. I bought a check valve for the walbro ,37a carb but I have not tested the valve or installed it. I talked to a guy who rebuilds small engine carbs for a living and he seems to think it's the coil. I tend to agree since I'm a 57 year old landscaper who has always done his own work and I used to drag race a 70 barracuda that I built myself.

How was it diagnosed? Spark tester? Points continuity tested (if it has points). Definitely check all wiring, replace the coil wire.
AND don't forget the air leak at the gaskets between the carburetor and cylinder (2).
I started out with a 10-10, resurrected a few along with various models of the 610 (quite similar).

How was it diagnosed? Spark tester? Points continuity tested (if it has points). Definitely check all wiring, replace the coil wire.
AND don't forget the air leak at the gaskets between the carburetor and cylinder (2).
I started out with a 10-10, resurrected a few along with various models of the 610 (quite similar).
I used a spark tester. It would run a few minutes cold and then, after you shut it off, it would not start for the rest of the day. Pull it out a day later and it does the same thing 🤦

Latest posts

Back