Mac 35A Are Parts still Available?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark56

My other hobby
Reaction score
Good Day People,

My dad has a 35A that was his fathers and has not been run in years. I would like to get it restored for my dad's birthday but have no idea where I could get this serviced or if parts are even available. It has the big cMc in a box logo on the blade.

I can remember using it to cut down trees as some extra income for the family and to haul away the wood to heat the house with our wood burning stove down stairs. Gas company thought we were stealing gas. Sent someone to check out meter twice a month.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Mark M.

There's a few parts floating around for just about anything. Just let us know what you need and keep your eyes on ebay. There might not be something exactly when you need it but give it time.

Also, keep watching the McCulloch thread in the Stickies here.

I have two sets of points and condensors and several roller nose bars that came stock with the saw along with some mufflers and starters. Sorry no carb kits. Nice to hear the restore..good luck!!

Some stuff you may find helpful, courtesy of fellow member Stinkbait.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you Guys for the pics and advice. I'll be back up to dad's this weekend and get some more information. I know that the spring end broke off but dad figured out a way to make sure that the spring held in place with a piece of 12 gauge wire. I do know it is missing an air filter on the left side. Looks like the frame it there but no material.

Have a good day guys.

Mac 33

I also have a similar saw, (33b) that my grandpa bought new in the 50's. Does anyone have a source for carb kits? I would really like to get this saw up and going while hes still alive. Also source for 1/2 pitch chain?

I did look on chainsawr and saw they had a carb for a super 33, was wondering if they were interchangeable. However even if it is interchangeable there'd be no knowing if the diaphrams were still good in it.

Only have experience working on husky and stihls so any advice for working on these saws would be great!

I also have a similar saw, (33b) that my grandpa bought new in the 50's. Does anyone have a source for carb kits? I would really like to get this saw up and going while hes still alive. Also source for 1/2 pitch chain?

I did look on chainsawr and saw they had a carb for a super 33, was wondering if they were interchangeable. However even if it is interchangeable there'd be no knowing if the diaphrams were still good in it.

Only have experience working on husky and stihls so any advice for working on these saws would be great!

I do not know of any company producing carb kits for this series of saw. Your only options as of now is 50+ year old NOS parts or figure out some way of making your own diaphragm. If you are referring to the 33 carb that Chainsawr has listed for $25 I can guarantee the diaphragm is no good, mostly because I can see it does not have one.

I have had a 35A here for quite a while and I have never got the thing running yet, wish I had never bought it.

1/2" pitch chipper chain comes up on Ebay right often, both new and used, and several members here have been known to keep some around. I would try posting in the Swap Meet thread under the stickies sub-forum. Another good source is to watch for old David Bradley saws to show up on your local CL, they are usually very cheap and millions were sold by Sears.

Got it running.

Dumped out the old mix, and refilled it with new mix and some b-12 chemtool.
Put in a new sparkplug (cj8) hit the air cleaner with a blast of starting fluid. Took about 20 pulls to get it started. This thing has the most gutteral sounding roar that i've ever heard out of a chainsaw. I officially love the old macs now.

It doesnt want to idle. Only runs with the throttle depressed only takes a little bit though. Also leaks a little fuel.

Grandpa also just pulled into the drive as i got it running. His face lit up.

Best of luck getting your 35A going. B-12 works wonders

Thanks for the advice MarPat. I'll talk to dad this weekend and see what he wants to do.

heimannm, I'll get with dad and see if we can get to some of the parts that he thinks need to be replaced.

Mark I am pretty sure I am going to be after you for some parts on mine. I pulled the airfilter off mine and the throttle acts locked up.

I took the spark plug out and shined a light in there and think the cylinder looks ok but the does not say much for what the piston might be like. I am concerned that it may have bearing issues as everything looks a little dry. and stuck.

It looks liek getting at anythign on this saw is going to be a battle of wits that makes a mini mac look extremely weasy to work on.

I see a lot of rods looking things attached to the carb plate. Not sure what is behind that or where to even begin with this thing:msp_confused:

Points are a very interesting set up in there own compartment.

Mark I am pretty sure I am going to be after you for some parts on mine. I pulled the airfilter off mine and the throttle acts locked up.

I took the spark plug out and shined a light in there and think the cylinder looks ok but the does not say much for what the piston might be like. I am concerned that it may have bearing issues as everything looks a little dry. and stuck.

It looks liek getting at anythign on this saw is going to be a battle of wits that makes a mini mac look extremely weasy to work on.

I see a lot of rods looking things attached to the carb plate. Not sure what is behind that or where to even begin with this thing:msp_confused:

Points are a very interesting set up in there own compartment.

The saws aren't all that difficult to get apart, the carbs are even very simple once you get to looking at them close. Somewhere I have some pictures of me disassembling my 35, I will try to hunt them up in the morning.

.404 pitch conversion

Has anybody heard of these saws being converted to run on .404 pitch chain?
When i measured from center to center across 3 rivets with a dial caliper it measured .404 inches.
The sprocket on the saw also looks like it was brand new when the saw was put away.

.404 sprockets for the gear drive McCulloch saws are very easy to come by and since most run hard nose bars switching is a easy as changing the sprocket and matching the gauge of the drive links.

Roanoker is correct, they are quite different than any other saw you have worked on but really fairly simple after all.

Struggle - just bring your saw over some day and we can spend some time going through it together.

Mark

Mark thanks for the offer I know you are good on it. Tonight I finally dug into it a little bit. I have the carb/plate off and spilt the two outer halves off. THis saw is quite an engineering marvel in some ways over a typical saw.

Anyways. my main question is how much compression does this thing need to run decent? Piston looks OK but the internals were bone dry and it seems to have little compression. I driped some two stroke oil in the cylinder and on ethe bearing surfaces and it seemed to improve greatly of course by tunring it by hand.

The recoil did not work the greatest but is freely turning now so I will reassembly to check vitals on compression and spark now that it has some lube. I need to clean the case halves tomorrow and the rest of it so that will take some time.

Also the throttle was locked up and the choke plate/slide is stuck closed. I am not sure I could start this thing if I wanted to as to how it works. Is the long rod some type of fuel primer? It has on oil button on top near the handle.

Latest posts

Back