Mac 610 smoking like crazy filling motor up with bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddredgergold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I have searched the forums and found several tips to get my Macculloch 610 tuned up and fix this bar oil in the motor problem. The search yielded several topics saying to replace the oil pump and gasket to solve the issue. So I bought a brand new pump and gasket and put it on the 610 with NO changes. It still smokes like crazy and if it sits all week then go to cut wood the next weekend the piston chamber is bull of bar oil. I flush the system with mixed gas and the plug out, put the plug back in and she fires up in a huge cloud of smoke. Where in the world or how is the bar oil getting into the engine? Most fellas just say it is the pump. Well done that and nothing changed?:msp_unsure: This saw looks like new I mean it is clean very low time original bar and chain. It was just never used. It cuts like crazy and runs perfect but it looks like the forest is on fire when it is running.

Can you fellas guide me to something else?:confused::dizzy: Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't had to work on mine yet, but I suspect that the 610 is similar to the 10 series saws with regard to the oil pump. There is an impulse passage from the crankcase to the pump. If the pump isn't sealed against the body of the saw, oil seeps back through that impulse passage into the engine.

I haven't had to work on mine yet, but I suspect that the 610 is similar to the 10 series saws with regard to the oil pump. There is an impulse passage from the crankcase to the pump. If the pump isn't sealed against the body of the saw, oil seeps back through that impulse passage into the engine.

This is what I read so I bought a new pump and gasket to solve the problem. The surface of the case is perfect. sooooo?????

Ok great tips! I will go check all of those right now. Thanks very much. I did not know there was a duck valve in the tank and I will check the o rings also.

You can find nice ones on CL for the price of a case of beer:clap:...yeper ya have a leak in the gasket on the block easy fix if you want to tinker use Indian Head and let it cure on the sealant...I've seen 610's smoke bad and run for 25 years but oil build-up should be addressed in the cylinder if you want to save it..good luck

Back