made a little table fo the splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i never thought about it till i saw so many of you here with table setups. so i nabbed some 1 1/2 angle iron and a piece of 1/8 steel and made some fast gussets at work on the punch press. i welded it on tonight seems pretty good i jumped up and down on it for good measure.

oh i wanted to make the table bigger but i need to to fit through my cellar door do i could only make it 12" wide so its 12"x27" ill have to see if it was worth the trouble. next im thinking of something for behind the wedge but that would have to be removeable. sometimes my lazy ass hooks it to the lawn tractor.

LOOKS cool :poke: maybe I should put a table on mine. By the way there ain't nothing wrong with towing your splitter behind a mower, I do

After 20 years, I finally added a jackleg table to mine (just a couple 2x6 bolted to it, one each side) Wish I had done it 20 years ago. Amazing difference in running one.

As for towing with the mower...I do it, kinda a nuisance as I have to remove the ball if I want to use the trailer but worth it!

Harry K

One of our splitters came with a 2 inch inside square receiver tube under the end of the beam. The hitch plugged in there, but was removeable. Not sure why, it was real short. However, since it was so hard to back up without jacknifing, I welded another hitch on about 6 feet of 2x2 square tubing, for a long tongue. Just unplug it when splitting, else it sticks out in the way. It backs up better, and is easier to manhandle around with longer leverage of long tongue. I wish I had a lawn tractor...

I have also seen tables that plugged into the 2 inch receiver hitch. Maybe you could add the 2-1/2 square tube under there, and fit your table as desired, but still plug in the hitch long enough to use the garden tractor.

k

Nice addition to your splitter.

So just how well does that little splitter do? whats the narliest wood you have split with it?

Stew - no splitter here

My neighbor has a 2' x 2' stand made out of wood. He puts up a log and works it without bending over at all. he's also 72 years of age:clap: :clap:
I bring him his wood so he doesn't have to go into the woods to get it. But he will still out work me and I'm 1/2 his age.

By the way, could the table be a back stop for that CHUCK?

thanks guys, my hitch is just a piece of flatbar with a hole in it. i just use a pin to tow it with the tractor. if i use it this weekend im sure ill figure something out but i like the ideas so far.

cruzer it will honestly split 98% of anything i throw on there. its split some real nasty stuff i didnt think it would many times. there have been a few that it wouldnt do like some really gnarly crotches but if thats the case i leave it and let it age. if i really get into it ill take out the saw and split it that way. really the only time i swing a the maul now is if a piece gets stuck on the splitters wedge.. dosent happen often but it occasionally does. a 3k$ splitter would be great but i dont have the means to do so and this works just fine for under 1k$. i prolly split 15 cord so far with it if i had to guess.

. really the only time i swing a the maul now is if a piece gets stuck on the splitters wedge.. dosent happen often but it occasionally does. a 3k$ splitter would be great but i dont have the means to do so and this works just fine for under 1k$. i prolly split 15 cord so far with it if i had to guess.

I used to use a maul to unstick them but found out last year that a "wonder wrecking bar" (the one that has sortof a 'T' on the end) works better. That wonder bar now hangs opermanently on the splitter. I always wondered when I was swinging away with the maul what all that shock was doing to the bearings in the motor and pump.

Harry K

Looks good; I would add a lip along the edge to prevent logs from rolling off--or at least, slow em down.

Last edited:
Looks Good!

I think you'll find that a table AFTER the wedge will be most handy as it will catch the split pieces. It will easily allow you to run the larger split pieces through again if necessary without having to bend down all the time.

Al :cheers:

I welded a table on my old splitter. My step sons and I bought the 37 ton splitter from Northern Tool this spring and I didn't want to weld on the new splitter, so I built 2 heavy duty wood tables. One sits on each side and they allow me to split alone. The table on the far side keeps the wood from falling down on the ground and the one on my side gives me something to set a half block on while I deal with the other chunk.

I welded a table on my old splitter. My step sons and I bought the 37 ton splitter from Northern Tool this spring and I didn't want to weld on the new splitter, so I built 2 heavy duty wood tables. One sits on each side and they allow me to split alone. The table on the far side keeps the wood from falling down on the ground and the one on my side gives me something to set a half block on while I deal with the other chunk.

excellent tom trees

i still havent used it yet. maybe fri or sat, i thought of the li[ idea too while i was doing it but thought well ive already started ill just keep goin :) i can weld a small piece for a lip on there easily enough. actually ill prlly cut a piece tomorrow just so i have it at the house if i decide to add it.

i think im gonna add one after teh wedge too but i havent really looked into how id mount it yet. i really should get moving my needs splitting pile is gettin pretty big.

i think im gonna add one after teh wedge too but i havent really looked into how id mount it yet. i really should get moving my needs splitting pile is gettin pretty big.

I liked the idea from post #4. I think I will do it to mine. a piece of 2" tubing as a receiver fastened to the rear of the wedge should make a base for the shelf to catch the pieces after splitting when you are splitting alone. Saves a lot of time and sore back if you dont have to retreive them from the ground.

Backsaver, timesaver, should have done it years ago - One of the best 'mods' for a splitter, the outfeed woodcatcher
woodcatcher3x-1.jpg

looks good its nice and big. ill definatly have to do that. i hate picking up a half a big round off the ground after the split.

An outfeed table past the wedge will interfere with the hitch and towing unless it is removable. My 'jackleg' tables (2 2x6) extend a bit past the wedge and even those cause problems turning.

Very few chunks require being pushed all the way through the wedge so the outfeed doesn't need to be all that long past the wedge. Mine only goes past a few inches and I haven't had a chunk fall off the end yet.

Harry K

Mines got a pin to take it off, but in 3 years I haven't - Rather than towing or pushing it around, I made it self propelled. Solved that problem! We must do different wood Harry, as just about everything here in New England has to get pushed all the way through the wedge. Sometimes I'll get some nice straight grained wood, but if there's any size to it, it goes in my sawmill pile.

Latest posts

Back