Magazine for Saw enthusiasts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you want to see?

• Monthly

Votes: 53 51.5%
  • Quarterly

Votes: 48 46.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stupid Idea

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
It would be nice to see a periodical, but is there enough movement inthe industry to fill a quarterly magazine? One would have to roll all aspects into the thing, I feel, to give it the bulk and mass appeal necessary for survival.

arborist
climing
carving
competition
new model intros
service/repair tips and tricks
"ID this saw"
saw-by saw comparisons
safety ideas
marketplace
tree ID by leaf, bark and grain (live and dead)
firewood type comparisons
milling

It could be interesting.

I think you could fill a quarterly, with just saws or saw related items.

talk about new trends in saws, new products, Q/A with saw builders, project corner, product reviews, tech data/testing, results of saw races, general how to, up coming evets and shows, you could fill a quarterly.

Id buy it!

A format similar to the popular car mags would prolly work. New tech, vintage muscle, antique saws every now and then, of course you would "Tips and hints" A smattering of logging and arborculture would go well.

Lets not forget the monthly hop up project that the average guy is competent of doing as well as the DROOL Project. (Bike saws, crank stroking, Big Bore kits, and Hybreds, ie 85cc top end on a 65cc saw.....)

Seems feasable.

It would be most interesting!!!! Not sure a monthly thing would be good though, I like the quatrely, monthly it would turn into a gun mag. nothing new, rebuild another 1911! Fine guns, just get tired of seeing one every month!!! Be kinda like the 441 all over again LOL!!!!
It gets my vote for sure!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
It would be most interesting!!!! Not sure a monthly thing would be good though, I like the quatrely, monthly it would turn into a gun mag. nothing new, rebuild another 1911! Fine guns, just get tired of seeing one every month!!! Be kinda like the 441 all over again LOL!!!!

Exactly. The gun magazines are terrible unless they broaden their topic coverage adequately. Like American Rifleman, which can justify monthly publication - it covers all sorts of firearms- and military history-related topics. Other publications, like Handguns (to the still publish that one?), all they ever did was say the same crap over and over.

A quarterly magazine that covers saw issues, along with a bit on saw-related subjects, too, would be nice. A bit of coverage of topics related to milling, wood heating, wood crafts, and other activities and products that would be of interest to professional and enthusiast saw folks would be worthwhile.

It might be worthwhile to know what other publications the intended audience enjoys reading, to get a sense of what related topics would appeal to the target audience.

Power Equipment Trade has chainsaw articles occasionally but they are few and far between. I think having a "hotsaws" column or article would draw quite a few readers as well. Have a different experienced hotsaw racer submit an article on saw racing in every issue.

I would like to see one, Be nice to see some old saws and collections displayed with the stories about them. Also opportunity for parts distributers, NOS, no longer manufactured, and possible aftermarket parts sellers to advertise. As much as the internet has streamlined finding stuff, personally I still like to pick up a magazine and call a warehouse. :)

I'd buy it! Hopefully it wouldn't have all the fluff most of the mags have! I love going through five pages of adds for one half page article. And all those crappy little things that fall out as soon as you open it the first time.

I love all of Bump_r's ideas, that would be a great mag.

Might have to start out more like an AS Newsletter till it picks up. I know the Land Cruiser Associations "Toyota Trails" started out as newsprint and finally went color about a decade later...and they had/have a lot of sponsors and third party suppliers, etc...

Full blown magazine may be too much too soon...

I think it would be cool to submit photos and put together an AS calendar (hardcopy or electronic). There was a guy who did that for Land Cruisers and it was REALLY cool. That should be easy to do and could represent timber from all parts of the world, saws, mills, etc...

Chaser

Darin , I think there is market for a general type mag. As most that are now available seem to target only a small percentage of the market. It would need to include all aspects such as hobby farmers, arborists and the logging group. Most magazines that went away narrowly focused. Let's not forget the heating guys who use chainsaws and all those wood heater manufacturers that would love to buy big ads. Tony

sign me up for the 350.00 dollar lifetime one time pay subscription when you get it together.

Latest posts

Back