Magic chimney cleaning creosote logs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was going thru the local farm supply store and saw a huge display of these chimney cleaning logs that are supposed to clean your chimney, eat creosote, and make your life fulfilling and content. At about 15.00 a pack! If you believe all the claims on the package they do everything for you. Of course the disclaimer that you have to use them every couple of weeks, requiring more and more of them.

Anyone tried these things? Or are they just bait for suckers with cash?

Bob

I was going thru the local farm supply store and saw a huge display of these chimney cleaning logs that are supposed to clean your chimney, eat creosote, and make your life fulfilling and content. At about 15.00 a pack! If you believe all the claims on the package they do everything for you. Of course the disclaimer that you have to use them every couple of weeks, requiring more and more of them.

Anyone tried these things? Or are they just bait for suckers with cash?

Bob

I bought 3 a couple years ago. I still have 2.

Either they work really, really good, or they don't work at all.

You decide.
To help you decide, you can have the two I have left.

:givebeer:

You decide.

Bwahahahahhaha!
Nice. Yup, sort of gimmicky, for those super lazies or really dumb people who have trouble building a roarin' blaze every-so-often. I think potato peels work about as well, my opinion. If not mistaken they contain powdered mag and aluminium, sending super-heated particles up da chimney and frying the creosote layers (which powder and drop off into your stove or flame up), as usual I stand ta be corrected but I'm pretty sure thats the basics. I build a nice pile of cedar strips, local crappy newspaper, driveway debris etc., about once every couple of weeks, seems to work fine (beating the single-walled inside pipes with the fire poker and climbing the roof with da brush (once a month or less) helps too ;) ).
This probably doesn't help but I'm just killin' time while the house cools off enough to close the doors :D

:cheers:

<snip>

This probably doesn't help but I'm just killin' time while the house cools off enough to close the doors :D

:cheers:

You too? Regular thing here. Work up a sweat outside, step in, like a furnace. Leave door open, open patio door, walk through to back bedroom turning on the big box fan on the way, open window and then answer the wife's "are you too warm?"

Harry K

You too? Regular thing here. Work up a sweat outside, step in, like a furnace. Leave door open, open patio door, walk through to back bedroom turning on the big box fan on the way, open window and then answer the wife's "are you too warm?"

Harry K
Lol, gee, maybe a bit too early to be burning maple? (I, dumb-azz that I am tried out some arbutus (madrona for our southern friends) that was very green (I dropped it 2wks ago ), sheesh, nothing, nothing, whap! 85degs, gasp/choke.... (so little ash it was sick). One of the few woods I'd burn green, now relegated to emergency heating, iyiyiyiyiyiyiiiiiii
Regardless Harry, that were funny, really. (have to invent like, a ceiling vent-heat-dump sort of thingy ), Sundays w/o the kid are interesting when I answer me door all sweaty, carp, nm, long story..........:D :D

Its the ol' 'how drunk can I get at 4am before I forget ta close the doors 'n' windows' thingy :jester:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *snerk* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:)

You decide.

The reason you thought the logs didn't work is you were using them wrong !! You were supposed to throw an empty beer can in with the log ! :monkey:

The reason you thought the logs didn't work is you were using them wrong !! You were supposed to throw an empty beer can in with the log ! :monkey:

Hey they guy asked a serious question and your giving BS, whats with that??

Bob, Get two pakages of the logs, remove them carefully and store for future use. Then throw the packaging in your stove along with the bag they came in (no plastic please) the high fire should clean some of the creosote out of your chimney. Repeat as needed. Use the logs when you are low on firewood.

My chimney sweeps recommendations are 1) Hot fire w/well seasoned wood and 2)liquid creosote destroyer than you spray on the fire after it gets going (about an hour). I go through a bottle a year and I believe the cost is less than $10/bottle. Since I started using it I have had minimal creosote buildup. Could be a belt and suspenders approach but for $10 it seems worth it. Far less than the logs.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I burn with a decent fireplace insert and brick/cement/liner chimney in excelent condition. Usually a fire is going continuously when it is cool, so the chimney stays warm. What I do now is wait until a rainy or snowy day so the roof is wet. Then I get a hot fire and throw in some newspaper to light the chimney up. It roars and throws an impressive fire out the top for a while until it is out. That usually takes 5 minutes. Any hot ash or embers either are blasted up and out or are burned.

A summertime inspection did show a glassy coating up at the top. It is attached well and will not come off.

Bob

Latest posts

Back