Making/cutting your own gaskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finding, ordering, & waiting for gaskets is frustrating. I've done ok cutting gaskets for car parts, but have failed miserably when cutting gaskets for chainsaws. I usually screw-up when trying to cut the small holes. I've been told there are punch?? sets that come in various sizes that will cut a tidy hole, & they are available at auto parts stores. I hoping to get some feedback on what y'all use, and what you like/dislike about them. I did a quick search, but didn't find much on using punches??.

Thanks in advance! Chris J.

I've used the multi punch tool with several sizes on a wheel that you turn - its like a big paper punch. I ve seen them at Lowes etc.

I have used regular flat punches, like used for driving roll pins etc. They are new, so the edges are good and square which helps give a clean cut. Put the gasket over a scrap 2x4 and drive it completely through the gasket stock, punches out a clean hole. Works great for me.

Depending on what size of hole you need, I use a spent 22 caliber rifle shell to cut some of my holes. I also use 30 caliber and 44 caliber shells also. They work good. Just place the material on a 2X4 and use a small hammer.

Shell casings...that's innovative ;), & cheap! Maybe I'll fire off a few rounds tonight; bet that'd get the neighbors attention :p. I'll check some of the larger crafts stores for some leather punches. Getting the whole as close as possible to the correct size has a lot of appeal. I have a new set of driving punches, but my concern is tearing the material when doing a small hole, like the corner wholes on a cylinder gasket.

Thanks for the advice & the link! Chris J.

A single hole paper punch works great if you need a 1/4" diameter hole. A hole punch set works great provided you don't lend them to a moron. I had a set ruined once because the clown I lent them to used them on a vise. They work best when you have a piece of clean, flat aluminum as a back support. Cheers.

A teeny little ball peen hammer works real well if you know how to use it.I have one that tips the scales at a whopping 4 ounces. :) Large gaskets are easy to do,itsy bitsy ones are a pain in the back sides.

Knot Whole....Someone said Dozerdan uses an old spoon to make his gaskets!

But I'd try a simple paper bunch and RC car body scissors.

you can buy one of those cheap 1/4 socket sets and grind the edges and throw on a extension and hit it with a hammer and it cuts it real easy plus gives you a variety of sizes
good luck
ERIK

More great advice, thanks!

Al, it's the little holes that get me.
Dennis, a paper punch sounds good, but I'd like to be able to cut a variety of sizes.
Superman, I like the idea of having that many sizes, but my grinding skills are not that great.
Simonizer, I thought that wood made the best 'backstop.'

My wife has some nice exacto knives, now if I can only find :Eye: /\ :Eye: where she keeps hiding them :laugh:.

Gasket/Hollow punch set

For about $25.00 you can get a Gasket/hollow punch set made by K-Line that will make cutting holes in gaskets painless. Punches holes from 1/4" to 1". I got mine years ago at NAPA. If you use a piece of hard wood behind the gasket material you get very clean holes and the punches will last a long time.

Save a piece of that osage orange to cut and punch holes. Its hard enough you wont see the marks of a razor or a hole punch but it wont take the edge off of your tools either. Tell Moe Hi.

That little ball peen hammer trick just marks the holes on little gaskets.You have to use a punch on the holes .I have made carb gaskets with this method[not chainsaw carbs]If I have to cut them I use a straight edged razor blade and a piece of oak as a backer.I also have a set of gasket punches for the holes.
My dad showed me this method perhaps 40 years ago.The worst gasket I ever made was an intake manifold gasket for an OC-6 Oliver crawler .It was made of double sided Garlock with metal in the middle and a real challange to cut[chisel ugh]

I use spent rifle casings too? Works great nice clean holes. Also, Found that in a pinch, a leftover 12 pack box works quite well for gasket material, cereal boxes work good too.

Good post! Last week I stopped by the local Stihl dealer for an 066 Mag muffler cover gasket. Almost $14!!! Even the shop guy admitted that was steep and I might think about making my own. Whoever at Stihl who sets the retail prices for parts like this must be smoking some really good stuff.

I like the link to the Dirt Bike article for making gaskets. Gives me an excuse to have a stack of these:

"The first place to check would be the old Playboy magazines. Their covers are of good quality and are about .005-inch thick, whereas a typical motorcycle magazine cover weighs in at a thin .004-inch thick."

Beer & Playboy sounds good, but they're probably not conducive to getting any serious work done (grinning smiley).
Eric, good to see you posting. Mo says hi, when I explained your situation she said "HOW many months?!" Are you doing much cutting in your "leisure" days?

Thanks to all for your input!

Chris J., a prime example of a little knowledge being dangerous.

Edit: I just went over 1,000 posts. When will my free chainsaw ship?

Latest posts

Back