Making/cutting your own gaskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always used a punch, hammer and a soft 2x4 to cut my small screw holes. I found these after this was up. I bought one for myself and 3 more to sell. The largest hole is 4mm perfect for screws. There are a total of 5 The other thing that was cool is that it comes with 500 gromets too for eyelets. Normally I would put this in the used equipment section but this seemed like an appropriate place for it. If you want a set they are $12 and includes shipping to the US.
holepunch_1805.jpg

Dean, glad that you bumped this. I PU'd two sets of punches from Michael's, about $18.00 + tax, and this gives me 12?? sizes (metric since Jreds are my thing). Also purchased the wheel thing, which my wife wanted :dizzy:, which I can use, if I can find where she hides it :p. I checked the local Northern Tools retail store, and bought a decent exacto knife set for $3.99. Also got a cheap metric socket set, in case I decide to try my hand at griding. Cool tools, eh?

Thanks again, Chris J.

Regarding punching holes, I use different diameter bolts to punch holes in gasket material and thin sheetmetal. The ends of most hardware bolts have a "ring" like shape and work pretty well.

I just use an exacto knife set and diamond tip bits on my dremel. It takes a little longer but they come out perfect.

blackoak said:
Depending on what size of hole you need, I use a spent 22 caliber rifle shell to cut some of my holes. I also use 30 caliber and 44 caliber shells also. They work good. Just place the material on a 2X4 and use a small hammer.

Yep,

Ya beat me to it, but I'll echo the comment and add that it works quite well.

Cartridges are typicaly know by bullet diameter:

9 mm
etc.

A dial caliper across the O.D. of the case neck will give the size of the hole you will get.

On this subject of materials for gaskets,I've used every thing from newspaper to soft aluminum.Soft copper sheet makes a dandy head gasket.
If however someone wanted or preferred to use more standard materials,McMaster -Carr has a very wide selection on line to view .
Garlock,which is a brand of gasketing material,makes a wide selection .
On the subject of holes,about any sharpened tubular shape will work,ammo cases are a novel idea.You can find a set is inexpensive punches for usually less than $20.They probably aren't the best but unless you are going to be in business making gaskets, will suffice and last a long time.

I keep a selection of ball bearings for cutting holes. Simply leave your gasket paper in place, place the ball bearing where the hole is to be cut and tap with a hammer. Can i stress, the hammer blow should be firm, but, in relation to the material (cast steel, alloys etc.)

Caledonian said:
Simply leave your gasket paper in place, place the ball bearing where the hole is to be cut and tap with a hammer. Can i stress, the hammer blow should be firm, but, in relation to the material QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea!
:)

Back