making of a pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Scott has done here goes against what most people would say is really possible for a working saw. He has created a fuel efficient, two stroke monster.......

I have a question that I'd like to ask about........

Is the reason the pipe is so large in diameter because the timing numbers are more "work related" type numbers?

Well........that's two questions really. :laugh:

My hat is off to you hear Scott. This is beyond cool.

What Scott has done here goes against what most people would say is really possible for a working saw. He has created a fuel efficient, two stroke monster.......

I have a question that I'd like to ask about........

Is the reason the pipe is so large in diameter because the timing numbers are more "work related" type numbers?

Well........that's two questions really. :laugh:

My hat is off to you hear Scott. This is beyond cool.

the simple answer is no.

Wow, a practical pipe! You have my attention there, an excuse to play with pipes...

So I'd assume that if you plug stock or typical 'ported work saw type' numbers into the program it will optimize a pipe for it
regardless of whether a pipe is even 'useful' at those numbers.

I guess my question is...
Is there an appreciable advantage to a pipe over an opened up muffler on, just for an example, a 372xp at 100 ex, 20 bd, 78 int?
Or does it really need pipe specific, 'special' numbers?

Wow, a practical pipe! You have my attention there, an excuse to play with pipes...

So I'd assume that if you plug stock or typical 'ported work saw type' numbers into the program it will optimize a pipe for it
regardless of whether a pipe is even 'useful' at those numbers.

I guess my question is...
Is there an appreciable advantage to a pipe over an opened up muffler on, just for an example, a 372xp at 100 ex, 20 bd, 78 int?
Or does it really need pipe specific, 'special' numbers?

keep in mind that the software is for dirt bikes and the like. I have to manipulate it to give me what I want.

a pipe will make any engine more efficient then on muffler, no matter what the port timing. but you won't get as mutch gain with lower durations.

Guess I'll have to do some homework...
Have a 262 cylinder that I had to raise the exhaust to get past some damage and ended up at like 162, didn't run great.
Don't want to drop it anymore, base is getting thin, good candidate for a pipe. Would like to work it though, not much for racing around here.
Also an 038 mag with similar situation, that one runs pretty good though so wouldn't want to alter the numbers just for a pipe. Would be fun to try one on it though.

Trick I learned from a guy does titanium m'cycle exhausts, for final weld up after tack, block ends and fill the pipe with argon. It's heavier than air and pours right in, displacing air.
Helps for cleaner beads and less blowing through...

keep in mind that the software is for dirt bikes and the like. I have to manipulate it to give me what I want.

a pipe will make any engine more efficient then on muffler, no matter what the port timing. but you won't get as mutch gain with lower durations.

This is a huge statement that many will read right over with zero real thought.

The same is true for all the "two stroke tuning guides" that have been written. These books were written around motorcycle engines with longer strokes, larger carbs, tuned pipes, changeable gears, and in many cases reed valves. WTF is that book gonna tell you about a saw engine that you can use without manipulating it to account for the differences in design?

Back