Makita 6100. Is it still good for a gimpy old guy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say you're located in Romania. That has a common border with Ukraine. Putin is the mad man. There is a war in Ukraine.
Ahhh ,that "MAD" dude... Don't worry about it,I've been growing up with russian "threat" in my head. Got tired of them and stoped giving a flying f...
Although few days ago a ucrainian military Sukhoi SU27 fully armed landed 150kms from me because their military airports got blown to pieces/bombarded AFTER few fighter jets managed to take off...
Still don't care much. As many ukrainians do. Some even are so angry they're gone back to fight russians... With E.U. plus USA military support and modern weapons anything is possible im Ukraine. Vlad might be in for a "surprise" if he's that stubborn with his "motherland" 🙄🤕
P.S. my grandparents were from about 80 km from Chernivtsi ,Ukraine...

MAD is also Mutual Assured Destruction , nuclear war "consequences"...
I grew up when we learned to dive under our desks. MAD requires a rational person who doesn't want to die. It's not much of a plan but I can only hope it works the way it is intended.
Good luck to you and Ukraine.

I grew up when we learned to dive under our desks. MAD requires a rational person who doesn't want to die. It's not much of a plan but I can only hope it works the way it is intended.
Good luck to you and Ukraine.
Vlad Putin threatens with nuclear weapons ,all 6000 of them. But many begin to suspect he's bluffing. Things today are not like a few decades ago in Chechnia, Ukraine is too close to Europe, regular ukrainians are not some pussies, or religious fanatics with ONLY ak47s... Many have relatives in Russia,they know their enemy very well. And here,now,in this situation the enemy is not the russian people. It's just one man along with his criminal gang. It's always been like this since Sankt Petersburg after 1989! And Vlad is starting to realize this! There's an old saying: "be carefull how high you climb,in case you slip and fall!" 🙄😁 Thank you!

What "mad man in my neighbourhood"?! I was doing it as in manual ,starting it on the ground with the foot in the handle. But I discovered by chance I can start it cold or warm even in my right hand and pull with the left hand. It's a very easy to start chainsaw! Am impressed so far!
Next chainsaw will be 3120XP
So you've mentioned the 6100 is your first chainsaw and now your next chainsaw is going to be a 3120? Why???

So you've mentioned the 6100 is your first chainsaw and now your next chainsaw is going to be a 3120? Why???
Cuz they’re awesome. :-D

@Gabriel1982 I visited Romania a little over 20 years ago, Bucharest and the mountains somewhere close, which were beautiful. I remember then Romania was struggling to get into the EU, and there was a problem with a lot of orphan street children. How is it now?

as far as the 6100…run it!

Old video…tuning is important and tricky with the limited coil. In wood is the best way. It should waver in and out of 4 stroke with just the weight of the saw. Should clean up with pressure and go full 4 stroke when lifted.

I was wondering the same thing. The 6100 isn't a small saw and the 3120 is definitely a big one. Almost $2,000 and can pull a 6' bar. You might want to review your old saying...maybe...your call and I do admire someone who learns how to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool.

That 3120xp was almost my first ever chainsaw ,because I couldn't find anywhere in country/Romania an Makita EA7900,wich was first in my "desire list"! Beeing convinced by a friend who owns a Makita 6400 ,of the reliability of this brand and who's been cutting the $hit out of that saw almost daily. I don't like ***** unreliable things. I prefer to live without them if possible!
Beeing frustrated of this lack of Makita EA7900 in country(there was one ,brand new, in Denmark at around 830 euros,but they would not ship it to me for various reasons... One beeing romanian...), I got "nervous" and looked for the biggest damn chainsaw I could find online. As I said there's a Stihl chainsaw shop 5 minutes away from me but it's embarassing... I will not buy Stihl!
So I found an 3120xp used barely ,almost new for a good price. At that moment in the morning I saw a site wich said it had "SOME" makita chainsaws(all previous ones I called also said this until they checked their inventory...2 DAYS LATER... Bunch of clowns if you ask me). So I was amused and out of curiosity and wanting to just have yet another stupid pointless chat,I called that company ,located in Iasi eastern Romania. Well surprise surprise, after I told the guy:"do please go check in the warehouse if you REALLY have this Makita EA6100" as he insisted, he called me back in 5-10 minutes telling me "YES I have it ,the box sealed chainsaw is right near me in my office,it's the last one in our whole warehouse/shop!!!" I jumped out of my underware and screamed at the guy"I want it now,send it to me right away!" 😂
He was a bit "scared" of me but agreed to have it shipped to me right then and ,as he predicted ,I received the Makita EA6100 the next day!
Couldn't be more happy and satisfied! Well I could,if it was the EA7900 😁 ,but as things are I'm happy ANYWAY!
After this year (I will try it out on some 20 inch diameter hardwood) ,I'll see if I can "man a 3120xp", since I never seen touched or used one in person! But,this is how things are for me... I don't wait much for getting things done... In 2005 ,barely 6 months after getting my driving license for motorcycles ,I was doing 270km/h on 1000cc Yamaha on public road with a passenger behind me(we were late for a biker meeting/party 😁 ). Kind of irresponsable if you ask me NOW,but...

Cuz they’re awesome. :-D

@Gabriel1982 I visited Romania a little over 20 years ago, Bucharest and the mountains somewhere close, which were beautiful. I remember then Romania was struggling to get into the EU, and there was a problem with a lot of orphan street children. How is it now?

as far as the 6100…run it!
Probably you were at Brasov,Sinaia or the Transfagarasan road(even that bastard jeremy clarkson agreed it's a damn nice road) or maybe the Transalpina road!
Yes,getting into EU and NATO were the best things Romania could do! Otherwise things MIGHT have been like today in Ukraine. It's amazing what some criminal bastard crook can do supported by his criminal GANG. And we're talking about 1(one) individual... How expensive can a bullet be,ANYWAY?!
There's problems even today,not so much orphans but crooks in or out of politics and political parties. Crooks/thiefs are getting rich $ milionaires under the nose of struggling honest people. Something similar to "krysha"/roof done daily in Russia but on a much larger scale ,starting from the top of political parties to even the president! Pay up to the crime bo$$ in charge and you can do whatever you want! I know 2 individuals who got from very poor 20-23 years ago to beeing actual $ millionaires in USD today! One owns a Lamborghini aventador black ,carries a 9mm gun with him and Police doesn't seem to "see him" at all(be it day or night)...
Yes ,problems still exist, orphans not that much but today romanians and gypsies send their women in Germany for prostitution since it's legal to do that there! In other countries from Europe too but Germany it's the main "pimping game"... Not really a subject to be talked here. 😁

Old video…tuning is important and tricky with the limited coil. In wood is the best way. It should waver in and out of 4 stroke with just the weight of the saw. Should clean up with pressure and go full 4 stroke when lifted.

Wow you really revv it in that kind of dry hard wood! Will do my best ,probably helped by my friend with the 6400 makita ,if he wants or has free time! I bought this chainsaw for cutting firewood once a year ,not much else! I always had to wait for SOMEONE with a chainsaw to cut the big logs wich I buy every year for firewood! Many romanians who live in a house with big yard do this. In the country side it's the only way to stay warm in winter! 😁
I barely start the 6100 and revved it a few times. Not that high up in rpm or for that long! I'll play with it today if I have time and hopefully manage to burn some of the remaining 4 liters of gas! Although after last gas tank I doubt it... It's very low on fuel consumption if I just let it idle plus give it some gentle revs. Am very curios how long a full of gas will last while cutting wood logs!

I was wondering the same thing. The 6100 isn't a small saw and the 3120 is definitely a big one. Almost $2,000 and can pull a 6' bar. You might want to review your old saying...maybe...your call and I do admire someone who learns how to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool.
Funny thing ,that's how my uncle (mother's brother) taught me how to swim... In Timisoara at a public pool many years ago(at least 24 or more,can't remember exactly). My mother never found out I almost drowned that day. But also learned how to swim. I love it today especially when I go to Vama Veche at the Black Sea resort in summer! Much more fun in black sea then a pool.
My uncle is dead now(since 2014) but he managed to learn me something usefull 😂
P.S. maybe I won't cut my feet this year 🙄🤕

I don’t think a stock 3120 is much fun. Just a heavy boat anchor with lots of torque, slow. Now ported and with an adjustable H…yeah buddy. It’s like Thor’s hammer of chainsaws
Tell me more about this "porting thing"! Why is that good? Does it lowers reliability/life expectancy of the saw?

I got "ambitious" today and mixed another 1 liter of gas with 30ml of Motul 2T 800 oil...
this breakin in "stuff" is quite hard to do...
with that liter of gas premix the EA6100P ran for exactly 3 hours and few minutes(5?!)... it was mostly idle and some revs at regular intervals ,maybe 10-15 seconds...
I honestly got BORED of revving not that high maybe in the middle of the rev range, and not holding the rev there for more than 1-2 seconds... by the book used to the max capacity this chainsaw should use 1,5 liter of gasoline per hour! as is it's really nice and PERFECT for my use and needs!
I removed the blade and chain ,adjusted the oil pump to minimum(the hidden under the chain screw all the way to the left as you flip the saw to your left as you would use it...) still was pumping oil ,think it ran out of oil ,but what is to lube ANYWAY since the bar and chain were removed?!...
but if this EA6100P actually uses 1,5 liter of gas for an hour of hard use, I'm officially blown away! Makita=PERFECTION if anyone asks me!
🥳😎
p.s.: I was expecting a fuel consumption like the 3120xp levels... 3-4 liters of gas per hour...
but 3 hours of hanging around in the garden hoping it would ran soon out of gas(wich didn't happen) was hard stuff for me 😂

Back