Makita 6421 vs Jonsered 2166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenderfoot

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am planning to purchase one or the other in the next few weeks. Ive pretty much got a choice between these two. I Just want a back up saw to my 576xp that is a little lighter and I don't need to worry about too much. Planning to leave stock until I get the 576 rebuilt and ported too. I can get them the same price (about $625) but the J-red is PHO and the Makita has a 20in bar on it. Which is the better deal (in your opinion) for a reliable back up saw assuming it gets left 100% stock?

left stock??? The 6421 is heavy compared to other 60cc saws. So if those are the only choices I would think 2166. However read below for a screaming 6400 sale (6400 dolmar is same as 6421 Makita). They may have some left I don't know....???

Cutting Edge in Greenwich NY had a pallet load sale on Dolmar 6400's this Spring.

Posted in march on the "other site"... AS won't let me hot link so here is the info.

Dolmar 6400
Comes with Factory 20" Bar and Chain SALE PRICE $515.00 each or 3 plus for $499.00 each
Bar and chain upgrades available

The Cutting Edge
447 State Route 29
Greenwich, N.Y. 12834
518 692 2878
[email protected]

Might ask about a 6100 Dolmar/Makita price too. They are lighter 60cc screamers that have been touted to be best or 2nd best in the current 60cc class. I give them #1 spot b/c they are cheaper than competitors and have bigger gas tank to run longer and also have a clutch cover design that allows you to noodle logs in 1/2 without getting jammed up like the 562xp.

I want a saw I can swap bars with my 576 that I can still run a 24 on. Not something lighter, just a backup. Cant do that with the 6100, even if it is lighter, have to buy a small mount 24.

Why do you think the 2166 is better then the 6421?

I have not run a 2166, (handled one today while test running a 2153 today - wow) but for the same price, my money would probably lean that way. I have a 6400 (orange 6421) that occasionally wears a 24, but is less than inspiring. I knew that going into it so it doesn't bother me. Just wanted to have the option for those rare times. More cc's, no more bulk or weight.

Not the exact same price, but PHO vs with bar and chain. I have a spare bar I can put on it, but that does not leave me with any spare bars. Just spare chains.

I think I may just flip a coin. Its going to primarily get used with a 20 inch bar. Both should pull it fine and they are basically identical on paper.

Neither are really much smaller/lighter than your 576. Just get a 20" bar and swap it back and forth. Or get a 50cc to go with your 70cc, and don't worry about swapping bars.

I have not run a 2166, (handled one today while test running a 2153 today - wow) but for the same price, my money would probably lean that way. I have a 6400 (orange 6421) that occasionally wears a 24, but is less than inspiring. I knew that going into it so it doesn't bother me. Just wanted to have the option for those rare times. More cc's, no more bulk or weight.

Get a 84cc AM top end for it and you inspiration will be renewed. Northwoodsaw usually has them just under $100. I ran that same top end for 3-4 years with no problems.

http://northwoodsaw.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=919

Get a 84cc AM top end for it and you inspiration will be renewed. Northwoodsaw usually has them just under $100. I ran that same top end for 3-4 years with no problems.

http://northwoodsaw.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=919
I'm sure I would enjoy it. But it pulls it's normal 20 just fine. It has probably only seen maybe 20 tanks since new 4 years ago and I can't bring myself to break down a perfectly good motor for something I use so little. I use my small saws 90% of the time because that's all I need.

Dolmar PS-6400's and blue colored Makita siblings are greatly underappreciated here on AS!

Everybody is moaning about a couple hundred grams of weight per cc.
The solution is simple - don't drink a beer before or while handling a Dolmar/Makita 64xx, that's 330 to 500 grams that You don't have to carry around.

My experience: Dolmar PS-6400 100% stock will not miss a beat with a 20" bar & 3/8" full comp chisel chain (Dolmar/Oregon) FULLY buried in oak, beech, pear or cherry.

My Dolmar PS-6400 is my undisputed main go-to-saw.
Last year I even did whole days of bush clearing with her.

I don't know how a JRed 2166 compares to a Dolmar/Makita 64xx!
My signature has all the saws I ever handled listed.

Good luck with Your purchase and let us know which one You chose!

Cheers :cheers:

EDIT & P.S.: I have a spare NOS PS-7900 P&C kit sitting on the shelve, but no intentions to use it on my PS-6400!
That is how much I like my 64 cc saw. :heart:
:)

Get a 562xp if the bars really need to swap over from one saw to the other.

I am looking at $600ish vs $700ish. And the 562 has an external clutch which is a huge turn off to me, even if it is better in other ways.

Which is smoother, 2166 or dolmar? I am taking a second look at the 6100, since it is lighter, but no way will that pull a 24 and it will require different bars.

I wound up with a Dolmar 6100.
Very very powerful for the weight (IMO) and will pull a 20 inch bar BURIED in oak with no problem, and the one that came in the box at that. In 14-16 in wood it will keep up with my 576xp (however my 576xp runs semi chisel chains as a matter of norm).

It has a sithl style chain adjustment, which I dislike, but the bucking spikes are set up well, I think I prefer them to what I have on the 576. It starts very easily as well. It fired up for the first time on the fourth pull. The choke settings are easy to use as well with one hand and it has a touch to turn off, which I am already fond of. The top cover to access the air filter and carb is easy to remove and based on cursory inspection the air filter seals very well. I do dislike the bar that came with it. I was disappointed to see is was a regular sprocket nose not a replaceable one. but, for the price and performance I cannot complain. Also, the plastic clutch cover was a bit of a surprise, I was expecting aluminum. I understand that the Dolmar 5100 is available with outboard spikes, is this correct?

Latest posts

Back