Makita 6421 vs Jonsered 2166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun with your 6100. I'm waiting for a nice discount.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One mini 2 met Tapatalk

It was a pleasant surprise. I really wanted a 2166 but I got screwed on a couple jobs and needed a saw NOW so the lower price was a big factor. I think I do need new chains and a grinder though.

left stock??? The 6421 is heavy compared to other 60cc saws. So if those are the only choices I would think 2166. However read below for a screaming 6400 sale (6400 dolmar is same as 6421 Makita). They may have some left I don't know....???

Cutting Edge in Greenwich NY had a pallet load sale on Dolmar 6400's this Spring.

Posted in march on the "other site"... AS won't let me hot link so here is the info.

Dolmar 6400
Comes with Factory 20" Bar and Chain SALE PRICE $515.00 each or 3 plus for $499.00 each
Bar and chain upgrades available

The Cutting Edge
447 State Route 29
Greenwich, N.Y. 12834
518 692 2878
[email protected]

Might ask about a 6100 Dolmar/Makita price too. They are lighter 60cc screamers that have been touted to be best or 2nd best in the current 60cc class. I give them #1 spot b/c they are cheaper than competitors and have bigger gas tank to run longer and also have a clutch cover design that allows you to noodle logs in 1/2 without getting jammed up like the 562xp.

You know if this is still going on?

I wound up with a Dolmar 6100.
Very very powerful for the weight (IMO) and will pull a 20 inch bar BURIED in oak with no problem, and the one that came in the box at that. In 14-16 in wood it will keep up with my 576xp (however my 576xp runs semi chisel chains as a matter of norm).

It has a sithl style chain adjustment, which I dislike, but the bucking spikes are set up well, I think I prefer them to what I have on the 576. It starts very easily as well. It fired up for the first time on the fourth pull. The choke settings are easy to use as well with one hand and it has a touch to turn off, which I am already fond of. The top cover to access the air filter and carb is easy to remove and based on cursory inspection the air filter seals very well. I do dislike the bar that came with it. I was disappointed to see is was a regular sprocket nose not a replaceable one. but, for the price and performance I cannot complain. Also, the plastic clutch cover was a bit of a surprise, I was expecting aluminum. I understand that the Dolmar 5100 is available with outboard spikes, is this correct?
@fordf150 has dual spikes for the 6100. The 6100 just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
I have not had any problems with the clutch cover and have thrown the chain a few times.
Great saw

That is good to know. I plan to put about 30 hours on the saw before I spend money on it. It may not actually need anything so any money spend will be wasteful.

Have fun with your 6100. I'm waiting for a nice discount.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One mini 2 met Tapatalk
They have went up almost $100 in the last year. I doubt they will be discounted much anytime soon. Especially considering they are still over $100 cheaper then their closest competition.

Back