Makita dcs7901 or Husqvarna 576XPG advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to pay a pretty penny extra for that air filter set-up, from what I have "heard" (actually read), but there may be ways around that???

Some good dealers offer the HD kit for free when you buy a 7900. Honestly unless you're cutting in extreme dusty environments the HD kit is not needed. Oddly enough the last few years the climate in my area has become more and more dry and dusty.

Some good dealers offer the HD kit for free when you buy a 7900. Honestly unless you're cutting in extreme dusty environments the HD kit is not needed. Oddly enough the last few years the climate in my area has become more and more dry and dusty.

I guess it has - just a natural development! :biggrinbounce2:

Syczek, earlier this year my situation was the same as your's , went ahead and ordered the 576 but they never delivered .

Went ahead and bought the 7900 from a dealer about 30 miles from the house and it's has been a great machine to run.

I run a 24" most of the time and also have 32" set-up also , pulls either chain great !

Red oak is all that I am cutting for firewood and the 7900 sure makes light work of this wood , to me it's good on gas and oil , the starting is easy and consistent, the stock air filter is fine for what I am doing . It is nose heavy with the 32 " bar on but just being a firewood cutter that does not really give me problems cause it's not a bar that I will use all the time..........another big plus on this saw was the price.

Thank you for your advices boys:cheers:, today I spoke with the guy who wants to sell me a Husky 576 for 740 $, normal store price of this saw in Poland is $ 1,270 ... rather good deal. I looked at the Makita 7901, really nice saw, I can't decide, and maybe buy both :D

Changing quotes like that is not good practise at all - really bad actually! :pumpkin2:

Somehow, the post I quoted went away.....

I don't know if altering quotes is mentioned specifically in the ArboristSite rules, but on a couple of forums that I frequent it is an offense that can lead to being temporarily or permanantly banned.

If your going to use the saw a few hours a week the 7900 would be OK. But if your going to work the saw 6-8 hours a day the 7900 did not hold up for me,after a couple of months I was having problems with p/c and crank bearings on the PTO side. I had 2 of them and will never buy another. Had a 575 husky and that was nothing but trouble. I did try a 576 auto tune and was impressed with it but I don't know how they will hold up over the long run. I would get 2 years out of a 372 that saw spoiled me.

t

If your going to use the saw a few hours a week the 7900 would be OK. But if your going to work the saw 6-8 hours a day the 7900 did not hold up for me,after a couple of months I was having problems with p/c and crank bearings on the PTO side. I had 2 of them and will never buy another. Had a 575 husky and that was nothing but trouble. I did try a 576 auto tune and was impressed with it but I don't know how they will hold up over the long run. I would get 2 years out of a 372 that saw spoiled me.
t

Dang Brother!!!

That there is a chainsaw NOT an axe!

Mike

I know a few pro cutters that are running 7900s. None of them has had a problem other than a coil. I have probably cut a couple hundred cord of firewood with mine and I broke one av spring. And wore out a few chains.

If your going to use the saw a few hours a week the 7900 would be OK. But if your going to work the saw 6-8 hours a day the 7900 did not hold up for me,after a couple of months I was having problems with p/c and crank bearings on the PTO side. I had 2 of them and will never buy another.

The 7900's are a good, solid, reliable saw. I own two (just sold a Makita 6401 with BB kit so therefore even owned three at once) and apart from a blown base gasket on my original 7900 (very unusual by all accounts) they have seen many hours of non stop felling work and have not missed a beat.
The fact you've also had issues with other good saws may mean you're a bit too hard on them?

I am hard on them and they don't hold up for me. The 7900 is a great saw out of the box start with 1 pull , lots of power, good vibration system,and they had better gas economy than the 372. But a month down the road they have starting issues and that just cascades into engine problems. The 372 just run and run. Now for the 575 if I remember correctly they replaced that saw and the Husky rep and 5 out 6 loggers I talk to told me they had lots of problems with the saw. In my opinion I think the 7900 is like a racing engine where your getting lots of power over a short time. They will be fine if your not using then all day long 5 or 6 days a week.

I am hard on them and they don't hold up for me. The 7900 is a great saw out of the box start with 1 pull , lots of power, good vibration system,and they had better gas economy than the 372. But a month down the road they have starting issues and that just cascades into engine problems. The 372 just run and run. Now for the 575 if I remember correctly they replaced that saw and the Husky rep and 5 out 6 loggers I talk to told me they had lots of problems with the saw. In my opinion I think the 7900 is like a racing engine where your getting lots of power over a short time. They will be fine if your not using then all day long 5 or 6 days a week.

I have heard issues with general robustness on the 7900 such as "A 460 will survive getting run over by a truck better" but the bearing issues are a new one for me. I gather this would be through wrenching stuck bars etc? The internal reliability of the 7900's have never been questioned, even by the professional loggers that have used them. If not being abused there is absolutely no reason a 7900 won't hold up as well as other pro saws in it's class.

I know a few pro cutters that are running 7900s. None of them has had a problem other than a coil. I have probably cut a couple hundred cord of firewood with mine and I broke one av spring. And wore out a few chains.

There may have been other issues on the early ones, but I believe most were taken care of at an early stage.

Well then how come the 372 bearings hold up from all the wrenching i do on a stuck bar. This not my first rodeo I been cutting logs for 30+ years. I bought one 7900 in late summer 2008 and the other one with heated handles in the fall of 2009. Both of those saws were manufactured in 2006 maybe that is some of the problems but I'm not going to buy another one to find out. The reason I bought the 7900 was all the hype I read about it on this site. I really liked the saw when I first got it but just to many issues.

mingo, My theory on the 7900 bearings is the questionable air filtration. Dirty air eats the bearings. I believe the new filter fixes this.
Good air filtration is probably why the Husky's last so long.

mingo, My theory on the 7900 bearings is the questionable air filtration. Dirty air eats the bearings. I believe the new filter fixes this.
Good air filtration is probably why the Husky's last so long.

I had the hd filters on them and took them of they kept breaking at the base. The cover holds the filter tight and if there is any movement in the cover the base of the filter comes apart. I'm not standing there cutting firewood or cookies we are logging and your up into your armpits in tops and brush, which we have to lop down flat. You may be right they could do a better job with the filter system.

Well then how come the 372 bearings hold up from all the wrenching i do on a stuck bar. This not my first rodeo I been cutting logs for 30+ years. I bought one 7900 in late summer 2008 and the other one with heated handles in the fall of 2009. Both of those saws were manufactured in 2006 maybe that is some of the problems but I'm not going to buy another one to find out. The reason I bought the 7900 was all the hype I read about it on this site. I really liked the saw when I first got it but just to many issues.

I'm certainly not going to question the toughness of a 372. Far too many in use to be a bad or weak saw. Not doubting your experience at all, it's just that other guys in forestry have had reasonable success with the 7900's. Biggest problem has been a lack of dealers and the "My daddy runs a Stihl" syndrome :D

I had the hd filters on them and took them of they kept breaking at the base. The cover holds the filter tight and if there is any movement in the cover the base of the filter comes apart. I'm not standing there cutting firewood or cookies we are logging and your up into your armpits in tops and brush, which we have to lop down flat. You may be right they could do a better job with the filter system.

Do you mean the top platic HD cover holds the top of the filter down? None of my saws touch the filter. I have heard of the filters breaking at the base before from a fellow member here though.

Mingo, your findings are completely in contrast to all other users of the 7900 that I know about. The guys up in NY at The Cutting Edge have many of these out in commercial use, and have for years. They have proven to be reliable saws. Also, I'll confirm that the filter cover does nothing to hold the filter down. Not sure where you came up with that.

I am hard on them and they don't hold up for me. The 7900 is a great saw out of the box start with 1 pull , lots of power, good vibration system,and they had better gas economy than the 372.

All the 7900's I've ran eat gas faster than the 372's by quite a bit. I'm thinking you're 7900's were tuned too lean, the rev limiting coil can fool people that have plenty of experience tuning saw carbs. Most of the issues people have with saws, even cheap Poulan wild things, is operator error. Or you're just full of it.

Last edited:
Back