Makita dcs7901 or Husqvarna 576XPG advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the 7900's I've ran eat gas faster than the 372's by quite a bit. I'm thinking you're 7900's were tuned too lean, the rev limiting coil can fool people that have plenty of experience tuning saw carbs. Most of the issues people have with saws, even cheap Poulan wild things, is operator error. Or you're just full of it.

That's why I always let the dealer set the carb on the 7900.

Mingo, your findings are completely in contrast to all other users of the 7900 that I know about. The guys up in NY at The Cutting Edge have many of these out in commercial use, and have for years. They have proven to be reliable saws. Also, I'll confirm that the filter cover does nothing to hold the filter down. Not sure where you came up with that.

The owner of the cutting edge. I talked to him about my troubles at Boonville and he told me if the clips loosen up on the cover it vibrates against the filter. My mistake for explaining it wrong. He also told me that they had some trouble with guys running long bars on 22" and up, I run a 24" bar. He thought the metal head gasket took care of that problem. It might have, I had one on my saw when the pto bearing seized to the crank. Like I said my saws were made in 2006 that maybe some of the problem but I,m not about to fork out another $800 bucks to find out.

I'm certainly not going to question the toughness of a 372. Far too many in use to be a bad or weak saw. Not doubting your experience at all, it's just that other guys in forestry have had reasonable success with the 7900's. Biggest problem has been a lack of dealers and the "My daddy runs a Stihl" syndrome :D

My daddy did run a stihl, he had a 031 with a 16" bar. I guess that solves it.

Do you mean the top platic HD cover holds the top of the filter down? None of my saws touch the filter. I have heard of the filters breaking at the base before from a fellow member here though.
No the clips on the cover hold everything tight and if they strech you get vibration.

That's why I always let the dealer set the carb on the 7900.

The owner of the cutting edge. I talked to him about my troubles at Boonville and he told me if the clips loosen up on the cover it vibrates against the filter. My mistake for explaining it wrong. He also told me that they had some trouble with guys running long bars on 22" and up, I run a 24" bar. He thought the metal head gasket took care of that problem. It might have, I had one on my saw when the pto bearing seized to the crank. Like I said my saws were made in 2006 that maybe some of the problem but I,m not about to fork out another $800 bucks to find out.

It's starting to sound more and more like your saws were running a bit lean. I've been running my ported 7900 with a 32" B&C for years now without any issues.:cheers:

Awesome picture!! these two should be in Dolmar's brochure.

attachment.php

where did you get that scench holder thats on your handle?

Some good dealers offer the HD kit for free when you buy a 7900. Honestly unless you're cutting in extreme dusty environments the HD kit is not needed. Oddly enough the last few years the climate in my area has become more and more dry and dusty.

BUT it look´s more like a MAN saw with IT!!!!!!:chainsawguy:

It's starting to sound more and more like your saws were running a bit lean. I've been running my ported 7900 with a 32" B&C for years now without any issues.:cheers:

How many hours a day are you running that bad boy, and are you using it for l in the woods as logging saw. I would Hate to drag that 32" bar around for 8hours.

How many hours a day are you running that bad boy, and are you using it for l in the woods as logging saw. I would Hate to drag that 32" bar around for 8hours.

I do not use the everyday and I'm not a logger. I was selling firewood and lots of it, but this passed year I got tied down and didn't sell more the a few cords. I've had my ported 7900 since 04 and I've cut hundreds of cords of wood with it. Sure it's not seen daily use, but I know of many that do and have held up just fine. I normally run a 24" B&C I think it's a perfect setup, but it's not all that heavy with a 32" B&C.

Here's a vid of it in a large oak tree.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5eXCaw0rvk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5eXCaw0rvk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dang!
That was a GOOD day!
I sure hope that crew can have a bunch more of those before they start putting us under the sod!

That crotch on the other side of the tree was a bear!
Thanks for posting that Andre and stirring the memory.

Mike

I do not use the everyday and I'm not a logger. I was selling firewood and lots of it, but this passed year I got tied down and didn't sell more the a few cords. I've had my ported 7900 since 04 and I've cut hundreds of cords of wood with it. Sure it's not seen daily use, but I know of many that do and have held up just fine. I normally run a 24" B&C I think it's a perfect setup, but it's not all that heavy with a 32" B&C.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5eXCaw0rvk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5eXCaw0rvk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
IS that saw ported or just muffler moded.I like my 7900 pretty good it does run every day and no major problems yet except the hd filters keep breaking of at the base on me.Dolmar has waranteed them so far. I bought my saw new in july and i had another one in 2007 that one didnt fair to well though not really the saws fault.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5eXCaw0rvk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></><embed ="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5eXCaw0rvk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I think most people on this site who are raving about the 7900 are not putting many hours a week on it which is fine I think it would be trouble free. But if your planning to go out and cut timber all day 5 or 6 days a week this is not the saw for you my experience is that it will not hold up. Another thing don't waste your money on heated handles stihl and huskys are superior.

I know a guy that cuts with them(7900) everyday and trades them in every other year. He is third one now and the only problem he has had is dropping a tree on one and bending the handle. My brother bought the first one he traded in and is still running that saw.

I know of another pro logger that traded in his 441 stihl and is happier than heck. Hated that 441.
I got rid of my 2171. I never used it after I got my 7900.

I think most people on this site who are raving about the 7900 are not putting many hours a week on it which is fine I think it would be trouble free. But if your planning to go out and cut timber all day 5 or 6 days a week this is not the saw for you my experience is that it will not hold up. Another thing don't waste your money on heated handles stihl and huskys are superior.

Now how did I know you were going to say that. If I had to guess you've never even ran a 7900, I say you're full of it! Hell you can't even tune you're own saws lol, you're a real logger alright.

Last edited:
IS that saw ported or just muffler moded.I like my 7900 pretty good it does run every day and no major problems yet except the hd filters keep breaking of at the base on me.Dolmar has waranteed them so far. I bought my saw new in july and i had another one in 2007 that one didnt fair to well though not really the saws fault.

Yes it's ported, and I'm pretty happy with it. Here's another vid of it in super hard Beech. 32" B&C in both vids BTW.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjriW-powdg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjriW-powdg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back