Makita/Dolmar Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brazos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Makita 6410. I really like that saw and wouldn’t mind picking up a 7900 series saw. At some point here Makita is dropping their gas saw line. Do you think they will dump them on the market for cheap prices like seems to happen when other companies drop a product line?

Hard telling.
How do you go about getting new parts for 1? I am not aware of a dealer that has or gets parts. If it wasn't to pricey I would like a non cat muffler for my 6105 or whatever mod# it is. Also need a tool to fit the high speed adjustment

I have a Makita 6410. I really like that saw and wouldn’t mind picking up a 7900 series saw. At some point here Makita is dropping their gas saw line. Do you think they will dump them on the market for cheap prices like seems to happen when other companies drop a product line?
They already stopped production in March of this year. The 7900s are mostly dried up and becoming difficult to get. SLE equipment has about the best price going on 7900 cylinders if they have any left

Hi. I have a 5105, 6400, and 7900. Love them.
Just got the 5000 today. Mainly because they are out of production and getting hard to come by. Truthfully, the 6400 was getting a bit heavy for limbing and light fast work.

Hi. I have a 5105, 6400, and 7900. Love them.
Just got the 5000 today. Mainly because they are out of production and getting hard to come by. Truthfully, the 6400 was getting a bit heavy for limbing and light fast work.
Most people think the same unless your bucking smaller stuff with a 64xx 20 or maybe a 24" like my one saw has. 73xx or bigger is the preferred saw to most in my best guess. I've got no 79xx cylinders here so that might be worth looking into now or stay with NPW NWP?... kit in 84xx. The piston is crappy imho but it has a nice 28 Total bar on it. They just don't get used all that much with too many Stihl saws here. Poor Echos get less love.

I was going to start a thread and ask about this, but this one covers almost exactly the same subject. I'm presently looking at a new Makita EA7900PRZ power head that's on offer to me. Although we do own a Makita EA6100P, I've never had to repair it, so, as yet, I don't know much about the pros and cons of the various "Dolkita" saws.

My question is whether or not the model number I'm considering has any significant differences to other Makita "7900" saws?

In other words, I have no idea what all of the prefix/suffix letters mean, so I'd hate to buy a new saw that has some sort of shortcomings.

Thank you kindly for your time.

The EA7900PRZ is basically the standard configuration, 1/2 wrap handle and standard air filter. It’s a very good saw. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it. EA7900PRZ1 is the same with HD air filter. EA7900PRZ2 is full wrap with HD air filter. The power heads are all the same, engine wise.

First Post: Thanks for the breakdown between the models. I have been a loyal stihl customer for 40 years. I bought a new MS391 and sold my old Stihl. A logger drove 100 miles to get it and was very excited. Now I now why. The MS391 burned up within 10 tanks of gas. I used it exactly the same around the farm. The dealer told me the MS391 was not worth fixing and Stihl would not fix it by claiming I had used bad gas. At least he is honest. I will never buy another Stihl product. I don't care about support. My old Stihls I never bought a single part. Not even a spark plug. A quality saw should last a regular user for decades. I prefer the Z2 wrap around handle, but I don't think it is worth an extra $150. Of course it's worth it if a hurricane come around and you need to use the saw upside down to get a tree off your house. I'd be kicking myself for being a cheap bastard.

First Post: Thanks for the breakdown between the models. I have been a loyal stihl customer for 40 years. I bought a new MS391 and sold my old Stihl. A logger drove 100 miles to get it and was very excited. Now I now why. The MS391 burned up within 10 tanks of gas. I used it exactly the same around the farm. The dealer told me the MS391 was not worth fixing and Stihl would not fix it by claiming I had used bad gas. At least he is honest. I will never buy another Stihl product. I don't care about support. My old Stihls I never bought a single part. Not even a spark plug. A quality saw should last a regular user for decades. I prefer the Z2 wrap around handle, but I don't think it is worth an extra $150. Of course it's worth it if a hurricane come around and you need to use the saw upside down to get a tree off your house. I'd be kicking myself for being a cheap bastard.
I’d say if you think your gonna want the full wrap in the future just get the Z2 now. It will cost more to put it on later, if you can still get one. I have a 6400/7900 hybrid with full wrap and muffler mod. Only way that saw is leaving my possession is when I’m too old to run it.

I cant think of a single valid reason to purchase a Dolmar/Makita saw now given they will be/ have been discontinued.
Just buy a Stihl or Husky and be done with it. Or if you just want odd ball buy a Echo.

The MS391 burned up within 10 tanks of gas. I used it exactly the same around the farm.
My guess is that 391 is a stratified charge design two cycle engine. I find the Stihl ms251 and Dolmar 6100 I have which are strato design tend to kind of jump up to high rpm and I wonder if they really are suitable for help or guests to use. You might have done high rpm with little load which I have over the years tried to avoid. I have never touched the adjustment of the carb on the Stihl one. The Dolmar one is likely hard to kill as I have had the high speed setting essentially all over the place.
I cant think of a single valid reason tonpurchase a Dolmar/Makita saw now given they will be discontinued.
Just buy a Stihl or Husky and be done with it. Or if you just want odd ball buy a Echo.
For the sake of discussion I will type some reply. For the sake of discussion I will not discuss plug in or battery.
The 4300 model, which was Dolmar 421 and smaller bore 351, before that 420 and 350. These are an inboard clutch with lateral chain adjuster well closed off from crevices for debris to accumulate. They use the Poulan Mount Oregon code 041 but the small husky mount and even the small 3005 mount can be made to work. There are even universal mount bars to cover the three of these. These are an open port design that seem to run more to my liking that the strato designs I have. These can have the 50cc rim drive put on them with a real thin washer like .2mm to span a void.

The 50cc ones like Mowers at Jacks throws ads at me for low 500's if I recall. like this one
https://www.mowersatjacks.com/product-details/makita/ea5000prgg
What is wrong here? A closed port non strato design, ok only one ring, lateral adjuster not in the clutch cover. I don't have one. I can see comparing it to the Stihl ms261 but that is a whole different bar mount and drive link count loops from where I am at. I can get parts on line maybe not instantly, most on here likely have spare saws anyway.

The Makita 3601 dual reed strato 35cc 31mm stroke 38mm bore model. Have you tried one of these and formed an opinion? It is outboard clutch with the adjuster in the clutch cover and some cost cutting measures like no oil input on a line in the tank but if one has a collection, they should think of this one. Not sure what they were thinking with the ridges on the starter handle, I filled the area other than that no mods yet anyway.

My guess is that 391 is a stratified charge design two cycle engine. I find the Stihl ms251 and Dolmar 6100 I have which are strato design tend to kind of jump up to high rpm and I wonder if they really are suitable for help or guests to use. You might have done high rpm with little load which I have over the years tried to avoid. I have never touched the adjustment of the carb on the Stihl one. The Dolmar one is likely hard to kill as I have had the high speed setting essentially all over the place.

For the sake of discussion I will type some reply. For the sake of discussion I will not discuss plug in or battery.
The 4300 model, which was Dolmar 421 and smaller bore 351, before that 420 and 350. These are an inboard clutch with lateral chain adjuster well closed off from crevices for debris to accumulate. They use the Poulan Mount Oregon code 041 but the small husky mount and even the small 3005 mount can be made to work. There are even universal mount bars to cover the three of these. These are an open port design that seem to run more to my liking that the strato designs I have. These can have the 50cc rim drive put on them with a real thin washer like .2mm to span a void.

The 50cc ones like Mowers at Jacks throws ads at me for low 500's if I recall. like this one
https://www.mowersatjacks.com/product-details/makita/ea5000prgg
What is wrong here? A closed port non strato design, ok only one ring, lateral adjuster not in the clutch cover. I don't have one. I can see comparing it to the Stihl ms261 but that is a whole different bar mount and drive link count loops from where I am at. I can get parts on line maybe not instantly, most on here likely have spare saws anyway.

The Makita 3601 dual reed strato 35cc 31mm stroke 38mm bore model. Have you tried one of these and formed an opinion? It is outboard clutch with the adjuster in the clutch cover and some cost cutting measures like no oil input on a line in the tank but if one has a collection, they should think of this one. Not sure what they were thinking with the ridges on the starter handle, I filled the area other than that no mods yet anyway.
Thats not a compelling argument at all. Dolmar always had issues with parts. As in parts where not in this country so you had to wait for them to be shipped from Germany. Do you hobestly think that in a few years you will be able to get any parts at all?
In a general sense thr latest Makitas are not earth shattering anyway and do not do anything better than a Stihl or Husky.

Lean carb settings will toast any saw and thats on the user.
Most get good service out of the 291/391.

If you have a spare air filter or two and an extra clutch the Dolmar/Makita saws will be cutting wood for many years to come. I suppose I'd better check the attic to make sure I'm prepared for the dolkitapocalypse.

Mark
Until your oil pump hose rots away or your intake boot chits the bed. Now what?
Again, I cant see a valid resson to buy one of these in 2022. Hell, I couldnt see a valid reason to buy one in 2010.

Yeah , Dolkita's are fine saws . I currently have a 5105 H , 7900prz2 & a old girl a 116siH ( heated handle ) that still works 50+ yrs later . I ensure spares of consumable commodities , rim sprockets , clutch & drum along with applicable ignition modules & limited or unlimited coils . Oil hoses & intake boots are other considerations however , readily available also . I agree partially with Bens opinion . If I was a commercial faller or wood deck processor , Mikita or Dolmar most likely would not be my 1st or 2nd choice of a daily user . Downtime means money lost , & Dolmar or Mikita have a weak distributor & dealership network , always have . Although I pretty well refrain from dealers ships anyways especially Stihl lol . However , as a recreational or weekend warrior firewood cutter Dolkita's do provide excellent power & balance & finest AV ergonomics system today , along with a very economical price point . I fortunately , have enough back up saws within Husquarna & my old Pioneers to carry the show in an emergency lol. I just had my P-51 fired up this week cutting up some 30 " red pine blowdowns . The old girl didn't break a sweat running her 36" roller tip Oregon . ;)

Latest posts

Back