Makita/Dolmar Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only ran a 32" on mine woods ported , pop up with fingers. But to see that stock one pulling 36" way it did impressed me.

Man that was long ago. It got the updated black prefilter covers when they came out finally back then.

View attachment 1022775
View attachment 1022776
I think stock the 7910 was much better with a 28 " B&C . The 7900 would pull a 32 " with authority . I forgot to mention that on my ported 7910 that I also went with a 7 pin with 32 " b&c combo , which is an obvious consideration with the longer bar in hardwoods lol.

I would prefer the 7910 before the 372, but the chineese made copies of all the parts for the 372, thats what makes it a winner.
The 372 xp is a fine saw , have owned both the single ring 371 xp & today's 2 ring 372 xp . I would not own any China built saw . I also had the 372 xp 's replacement a 576 xp non auto tune model . I personally prefer Dolkita in the 80 cc class . Much , like the 6100 & 6400 series Dolkitas especially with reed valve . I have run my buddies 390 xp more than once & a few 395 xp's just don't like the weight & balance , also do not have the need for that big cube saw unless I was going to replace my ported 660 milling saw lol. Anyhow good discussion brothers ! :happy:

I never found the 7900 to have much more grunt than a OE372.
Over the years guys have commented that Huskys had less torque than Stihls. This simply wasnt true. The Huskys did sound better and carry more RPM because they had much better port designs than Stihl. However, when youbput them into wood and dogged in the Husky saws always had more balls. This opinion applys to the 372 OE era Stihls like the 440,460, etc. The 7900 did have more torque than comparable stihls, but not more than a Husky.
BTW when I bought my 7900 I envisioned a saw that would have nearly the frunt of a 385/390 in a lighter package. This just wasnt the case. What I found is it ran very similar to a 372.
I found that my 371 xp single ring unit was much more peaky than the 2 ring 372 xps which also were more torgue responsive in the cut . The 371 really had to be rung out . The 1st generation 7900 out performed both easily . Your right the latest 7900 with the limited coil is not quite as stout in the top end but in my opinion has substantial torgue gain over both of the 70 cc Husky . The 7910HD was a real disappointment stock , therefore we ported it , it would & did smoke 390 xp's routinely & would have given a stock 395 xp grief in the cut ! P.S. I always thought eventually that Dolmar or Mikita afterwords would have added reed valve induction on the 7900 or 9000 Series , guess it wasn't in the cards , as we now know all to well ! :rare2:

I never found the 7900 to have much more grunt than a OE372.
Over the years guys have commented that Huskys had less torque than Stihls. This simply wasnt true. The Huskys did sound better and carry more RPM because they had much better port designs than Stihl. However, when youbput them into wood and dogged in the Husky saws always had more balls. This opinion applys to the 372 OE era Stihls like the 440,460, etc. The 7900 did have more torque than comparable stihls, but not more than a Husky.
BTW when I bought my 7900 I envisioned a saw that would have nearly the frunt of a 385/390 in a lighter package. This just wasnt the case. What I found is it ran very similar to a 372.
No , more like more torgue as in a 450 Rancher vs 465 Rancher , which is pretty well spot on comparison & significant . However , it's really a non issue since for what I can save in pricing which is anywhere from $300 to $400 I will port my new 7900 full wrap Dolkita including a new unlimited coil & have better overall final product & money in my pocket. At my age its a hobby saw that I enjoy & will outlast my cutting activities. ;)

I was looking for a local the other day. I checked 2 dealers and found 2 7900, 1 7901 heated handle with HD, 7300.

What I liked too was the price. The guy could buy 2 7900 PHO for the same cost of 1 500i in same cc class. I'd take the 2 saws all day with regular carbs.

Old pic of running a guys 7900 years back. I could not believe it was stock and only muffler modded with 36"

View attachment 1022770
I cant recall what I paid for my 7900, but I cost was comparable to s Stihl or Husky from a dealer.
They may be cheap now, because they are being blown out.

I found that my 371 xp single ring unit was much more peaky than the 2 ring 372 xps which also were more torgue responsive in the cut . The 371 really had to be rung out . The 1st generation 7900 out performed both easily . Your right the latest 7900 with the limited coil is not quite as stout in the top end but in my opinion has substantial torgue gain over both of the 70 cc Husky . The 7910HD was a real disappointment stock , therefore we ported it , it would & did smoke 390 xp's routinely & would have given a stock 395 xp grief in the cut ! P.S. I always thought eventually that Dolmar or Mikita afterwords would have added reed valve induction on the 7900 or 9000 Series , guess it wasn't in the cards , as we now know all to well ! :rare2:
Never ran a 371.
My Dolmar 7900 was the original all red version.

No , more like more torgue as in a 450 Rancher vs 465 Rancher , which is pretty well spot on comparison & significant . However , it's really a non issue since for what I can save in pricing which is anywhere from $300 to $400 I will port my new 7900 full wrap Dolkita including a new unlimited coil & have better overall final product & money in my pocket. At my age its a hobby saw that I enjoy & will outlast my cutting activities. ;)
That price savings is only because they are being blown out/discontinued.
I still maintain its a fools errand to buy one. The company never supported their stuff when they were still being made. Let alone now that they are no longer being made.

I think stock the 7910 was much better with a 28 " B&C . The 7900 would pull a 32 " with authority . I forgot to mention that on my ported 7910 that I also went with a 7 pin with 36 " b&c combo , which is an obvious consideration with the longer bar in hardwoods lol.
No one would run a bar that long in hardwood. My 7900 was best with a 20-24" bar in Upper MI hardwoods.

I cant recall what I paid for my 7900, but I cost was comparable to s Stihl or Husky from a dealer.
They may be cheap now, because they are being blown out.
Nah , I bought my 1st 7900 10 yrs ago then my 7910 HD 6 yrs ago & my 5105H 4 yrs ago . Dolmar & Makita always much lower pricing at least here in Canada . Pricing has not lowered here only availability recently lol . I purchased my current from Washington state Makita Sales Agent $929 with free shipping to my Daughter in Michigan .

Nah , I bought my 1st 7900 10 yrs ago then my 7910 HD 6 yrs ago & my 5105H 4 yrs ago . Dolmar & Makita always much lower pricing at least here in Canada . Pricing has not lowered here only availability recently lol . I purchased my current from Washington state Makita Sales Agent $929 with free shipping to my Daughter in Michigan .
$929.is what I expect. What I forget is the ridiculous. Prices you guys pay for Stihls and Husky saws in Canada

That price savings is only because they are being blown out/discontinued.
I still maintain its a fools errand to buy one. The company never supported their stuff when they were still being made. Let alone now that they are no longer being made.
I could care less about their support or lack of it , you talking out your rear end . I never support dealers either , only fools & yuppys do . I repair my own equipment . The price saving always has been real & significant . Much like old school Solo & Efco , other fine European Manufacturered saws, that recieved little recognition or Distribution support within North America , doesn't make them a inferior saw to a hobbyist . Only to a serious commercial cutter perhaps who rely on a fleet of saws & mechanical support & spares inventory . Its obviously a two horse race today with Stihl & Husquarna , Echo looking in from the outside !

$929.is what I expect. What I forget is the ridiculous. Prices you guys pay for Stihls and Husky saws in Canada
Yes its crazy difference , I have desposible access to USD. currency fortunately from a business associate , the 7900prz2 I just purchased is $1700 online in Southern Ontario with overnite free shipping , yeah right . So I saved $425 even with the US conversion rate that I never needed to utilize lol !

I could care less about their support or lack of it , you talking out your rear end . I never support dealers either , only fools & yuppys do . I repair my own equipment . The price saving always has been real & significant . Much like old school Solo & Efco , other fine European Manufacturered saws, that recieved little recognition or Distribution support within North America , doesn't make them a inferior saw to a hobbyist . Only to a serious commercial cutter perhaps who rely on a fleet of saws & mechanical support & spares inventory . Its obviously a two horse race today with Stihl & Husquarna , Echo looking in from the outside !
It's all fun and games until the saw is down because you can't get a simple part. BTDT with Dolmar.
I repair my own stuff too and always have, but to do so you need parts... So yea, parts support is important.

No one would run a bar that long in hardwood. My 7900 was best with a 20-24" bar in Upper MI hardwoods.
36 " semi skip in hardwoods all day long with with a 7 pin & proper square grind in my ported 7910 5 yrs ago . The stock 7900 with a slight muffler mod running a 32" was mostly soft woods as i clearly stated , White & Red Pine variety . My new 7900 is running a 28 " Oregon Versa-Cut b&c . May purchase a Carelton 32 combo once Kevin ports it .

36 " semi skip in hardwoods all day long with with a 7 pin & proper square grind in my ported 7910 5 yrs ago . The stock 7900 running a 32" was mostly soft woods , White & Red Pine variety . My new 7900 is running a 28 " Oregon Versa-Cut b&c . May purchase a Carelton 32 combo once Kevin ports it .
Not in any hardwood I've cut.

It's all fun and games until the saw is down because you can't get a simple part. BTDT with Dolmar.
I repair my own stuff too and always have, but to do so you need parts... So yea, parts support is important.
I have enough spares to rebuild two of every Dolmar I own . Hell I have 3 Pioneers , that are the same & 50 + yrs old . I know its not optimal but it's practical for me at my age as a hobbist . I ran a 69 Pan head for 30 yrs prior to current Dyna Evo 80 cu. They don't make them anymore the last was 98 . Mine has 20k original miles & they will bury me with it . You run them till they break , then you fix them & run them some more brother lol.

Not in any hardwood I've cut.
Not commercial cutting , give your head a shake brother , :laughing: I have run a Homeowner 465 Rancher with a 28 " Oregon with semi skip & full chisel , however I grind my own chains round or square grinder or goofy hand filed . Common hardwoods here would include Mountain Ash , Yellow Birch , Hard rock Maple , occasional Ironwood along with select White & Red Oak . My stock 7900 with a slight muffler mod cut these easily with a 7 pin sprocket & 32 " b & c . Tree sizes where never overly large 16" - 24" . Heck , it came stock with a 8 pin sprocket & a 28" Makita (Oregon) b & c . A little different chain speed however never bogged in the cut. I really ponder how you tune & sharpen your saws brother !

Not commercial cutting , give your head a shake brother , :laughing: I have run a Homeowner 465 Rancher with a 28 " Oregon with semi skip & full chisel , however I grind my own chains round or square grinder or goofy hand filed . Common hardwoods here would include Mountain Ash , Yellow Birch , Hard rock Maple , occasional Ironwood along with select White & Red Oak . My stock 7900 cut these easily with a 7 pin sprocket & 32 " b & c . Tree sizes where never overly large 16" - 24" . Heck , it came stock with a 8 pin sprocket & a 28" Makita (Oregon) b & c . A little different chain speed however never bogged in the cut. I really ponder how you tune & sharpen your saws brother !
I could put a 28" on my MS260. That doesn't mean I would go logging with it.
I cut all of those same species and to pull that kind of bar would take a 660/661 or a 395 to get acceptable to me results.
The typical bar for a UP fallers saw is a 24" for a 661/390 class saw and a 20" for a 70cc class saw.

I could put a 28" on my MS260. That doesn't mean I would go logging with it.
I cut all of those same species and to pull that kind of bar would take a 660/661 or a 395 to get acceptable to me results.
The typical bar for a UP fallers saw is a 24" for a 661/390 class saw and a 20" for a 70cc class saw.
I or you never mentioned bar size as a form of logging criteria , so don't bring it up as a point of leverage for you argument . We are discussing specifically what is the longest bar a 7900 in stock form or woods ported can run efficiently in hardwoods or softwood . I have run various lengths as indicated efficiently . Also have 20 " bar on my 5105H which was a factory option & 50 cc Pioneer P-20 with a 18" & my 346 xp runs 18" again factory stock issued . Buddy runs a 32 " bar on his P-41 , another buddy with a 28 " on his 572 xp " I had a 28" on my last 576 xp . Another run a 28" on his 460 all 70 cc class saws with these bars as stock options . I could go on & on . These guys cut 10-20 cords of firewood a yr . Short bars are out unless you like limbing with short bars . As long as you have sufficient bar oiling , length within reason has no negative effect . Every 70 cc saw I have ever run or owned was more than capable of running a 24" or 28" efficiently . Just because you feel 20" or 24 " is optimal , means squat to other people Ben . Also longer bars are much easier & safer to operate when you get older , you eventually may find that out Ben ! :hi:

Latest posts

Back