Man that smells good - Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been burning lots of oak and poplar all winter. Finally got the stacks down to where I am reaching a bunch of walnut I laid up 2 years ago. Open the stove and it just smells so good. I never really notice too much of the differences in anything else I burn, but I sure do notice this. Sweet and almost like a good cigar. I burn lots of apple as well and never enjoyed the smell of that as much as the walnut. I also noticed the coals it leaves, good solid chunks that continue to burn rather than just fall apart. I'm gonna have to get some more of that next summer!

Just me, or anybody notice a particular wood they like

Yes, I am a big walnut fan too. Love the aroma and the wood isn't bad either. Have a couple that need to come down--project for the spring. No logs in them, but I don't care. Like it for campfire wood, too but someone told me not to cook over it. That's OK 'cause I have lots of oak, maple and hickory as well as some fruit wood for that.

Years ago...many years...I bought a cord of word from a local guy.

More than enough, I was pleased.

Shows up about three hours later with his trailer loaded with walnut. Says he tried to deliver it to a customer, the guy wouldn't take it....hates the smell, made him sick.

Gave it to me...half cord plus.

I agree w/ the way it coals out, best of about anything out there...The one thing I don't like is the fluffy ash...But I never pass it up if I can get my hands on it...

Back