manitoba maple (box elder)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman23

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with manitoba maple? How long to you usually season for and what are your experiences with processing and burning. My property is loaded with It.

Dries pretty fast but rots very fast also. Most people here don't include it in marketable saleable wood. BTU's are below all other maple if I recall correctly

If it is the same as boxelder down here, red and light wood, really wet, a bis-natch to split, takes a while to dry, dries really light. Ehh, I am not a fan, it does burn and produce heat, but I will pass on it....

If it's box elder, I have some down in creek bottom. They're like weeds. I don't go out of my way to get them, but if one falls I'll cut it up if it's easy. It does rot fast. It burns ok, but I have to mix it with other stuff. Lots of ash and no coals.

This is the tree I am referring too

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-18-18-03-33.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-18-18-03-33.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 25
Place it at the curb for the pickers. It is total and absolute garbage. . . one minute it is garbage wood and the next minute it is even worse than garbage wood lol It has ZERO coaling properties what so ever.

On the plus side BE dries quickly, burns decent, and is very prevalent wherever it is present.

On the minus side it usually has a million little shoots off the main trunk, isn't the easiest to hand split, and absolutely stinks if burned before it's completely dry.

Makes great chipper food. We cut up to 20" diameter into 18" lengths and roll them into the chipper and fill the chip box fast

Thanks for the replies i will be mixing it with mostly poplar and some ash and splitting it with a log splitter

I wouldn't mix it with anything. Boxelder is horrible wood. More than one season of storage and it turns into a paperweight that just pretty much dissolves in the wood stove. I had a friend who would swear buy box elder because no one else would take it... LOL terrible stuff and I am not a wood bigot like many.

I have burned a lot of it in the outdoor furnace and it makes heat, but not ideal wood. Mix with some elm for coals so my fire doesn't go out. I use all box elder on really cold days when I am home and can feed it often, then I get rid of it faster. I only use it if I am clearing them out of somewhere anyway. Otherwise will tip and leave if too hard to get to.

Dries fast, but as others have said it will rot fast. I usually let dry 6 months split and use the same winter. If the bark gets black mold under it stinks. Good for shoulder season wood in the stove - lights easy and burns fast.

Back