Many old saws, mostly Stihl S10/08/08S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogorir

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just throwing some pics up of my bosses collection of old Stihls. He uses them to cut down cedars on the ranch, and for the entire time I've worked for him, out of the 50 or so he has, there have only ever been one or two running, so I've started going through them.

looking at the first pic,the saws are laid out like this:
S10 top handles (3, on the right)
S10 rear handles
07 and 07s (to the left) and later 08s models (new logo, taller muffler)
there is an 08 hiding behind the 07s to the right, and to the left is the pile of older style 08s.
last row from left to right: 051av, 041,040

there's a pile of handle/clutch covers in the top right corner, and a bunch of saw frames in the foreground.

I found another 5 saws (4 newer 08s, 1 S10) under the lean-to that aren't in this picture, as well as the 07 that's on the chainsaw mill. I think my boss has 3 or 4 that run most of the time in the back of his truck, too.
View attachment 235315View attachment 235316View attachment 235317View attachment 235318View attachment 235319

the last picture is where they're hanging for the time being. I need to come up with a good way to store 50+ chainsaws that doesn't take up much room. I don't really have enough space for all the Saab parts as it is.

WOW! What a collection! ...I'd hate to have to buy condensers for all of those!

View attachment 235331View attachment 235332
first pic is the 3 big saws and all the rear handle S10s. I pulled the bars off so they'd take up less space.

in the second picture, there is a newer saw on top of the rack that I can't identify. I'll take better pictures tomorrow, I just forgot. it looks related to the 040/041, but the clutch cover is different and it has a chain brake. it's missing the jug and everything that bolts to it, including the air cleaner cover, so I'm at a loss.

Is this a collection where certain models were acquired due to interest or is this a case where a new saw was purchased whenever the current one gave trouble?

Thats pretty cool indeed. I like the 051, it looks to be in good shape under the dirt. I've never seen that many S10, 07 and 08s together. What a lucky dude u are. :D

235315d1335234114-img_3798-jpg

235316d1335234360-img_3799-jpg

235317d1335234379-img_3800-jpg

235318d1335234388-img_3801-jpg

[snip]

in the second picture, there is a newer saw on top of the rack that I can't identify. I'll take better pictures tomorrow, I just forgot. it looks related to the 040/041, but the clutch cover is different and it has a chain brake. it's missing the jug and everything that bolts to it, including the air cleaner cover, so I'm at a loss.

235336d1335236067-img_3804-jpg

Left side of this pic - is that a 3 cylinder gas powered desk fan? Because that would be sweet :cool2:

Thats pretty cool indeed. I like the 051, it looks to be in good shape under the dirt. I've never seen that many S10, 07 and 08s together. What a lucky dude u are. :D

I just pulled all but 7 or 8 of these up to the barn from the garage by the bosses house, none of which have been run in a while. The 051 is pretty clean, but I havent tried to bump it over yet. That is one heavy saw...

I think I counted 46 frames when I took that picture(some are not in it) but then I found 5 more, and there are 3 that are set up for the spinning-blade-of-death brush cutters, as well as a few that Charly is currently using. It may well be the largest collection of these models around. Of the 08/s10 saws, I'd say that probably 70% will run with a carb rebuild and a new fuel pickup tube.

@ fear a bit of both. Chat boss is not terribly mechanically inclined; I'd guess about a third were runners at one point. The 041s,051, and 07s we're bought for interest( I'm interpreting here, I haven't asked and he's had all these saws since I started working for him a year and a half ago).
Charly likes collecting things, you may have noticed the line of saabs outside. Counting the parts cars, he has over 35. That's my real purpose; I restore cars, and right now I'm restoring some of these saabs for Charly. And curating the massive parts inventory he has amassed.

And yes, I am lucky to be able to dig into these old saws and not have to pay for them :) its a lot of fun specializing in a single model. The saabs are the same way. You learn a lot of quirky details that no one else knows after you've taken 10 or 15 apart.

@ Rudolph you could use it for that, I suppose. It's the engine from one of the saabs. 3cyl 2 stroke. That's an earlier one; the radiator is above and behind the engine, so the fanshaft is up top and pointed the wrong way :)

I am looking for some sources for the consumable parts on these.
Rear handle s10 air cleaner
08 air cleaners
08s Fuel pickup tubes ( I think these are the same in the s10)
Fuel filters
Carb kits in bulk. $6/ea ain't bad... Until you have to buy 30.
Paint codes for the orange, red orange, and bone color
Basically anything you can replace...

I also need a hub puller. If anyone has a spare one, I know I can trade parts for it. They're $60 on fleabay, but I'd rather spend that on gaskets and parts.

Im also looking for info on modding. Extending the intake port down 1mm helps a bit. I plan on taking another mm out and testing. I'd love to do an expansion chamber on one, but the low max revs makes the tuned pipe almost a yard long if you dont coil it up. Any thoughts on what to do to rev these higher safely? I have half a mind to retrofit a chain brake on a few, too. Charly takes them for granted and he won't use a new saw period.

Also, these are some sort of magnesium alloy, right? Anyone know how weldable it is? More than half the clutch covers are broken in some way or another. 2 have weld repairs, one looks like its holding, the other doesn't. They're both older repairs, though, so I'd guess they're going to be an oxyfuel weld, not tig.

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics

A big welcome to AS from MN!

If you want your pics to show up (embeded) there are instructions in my sig.

Looks like you've gotten your work cut out for yourself!

It would be great to dig though those buildings and see what one could find!:love1:

I cleaned up the 041AV. bar adjuster is broken, so I ordered a new one. apart from the small piece that's broken on the main frame, this thing is mint. needs a carb rebuild and probably fuel line/filter/pickup.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This is the saw I'm trying to ID. it's definitely AV, I'm thinking it might be a later 041 with the handle that surrounds the air cleaner similar to the 051. it also has a chain brake.

I have the 051 apart and mostly cleaned up. needed a clutch and carb rebuild, both on the way and one of the front AV bushings. I just ordered a set. I found carb kits super cheap at goosegear.com as well as a gasket set from the TS version of this saw, looks like it will work for everything but the exhaust and the pre-carb intake gasket. the jug has had 2 fins broken off about midway down that have been JB welded back on. I'm thinking that I'll probably play around with the porting on this cylinder and plan on getting a new one in the future. anyone know the feasibility of putting the 075/076 cylinder on the 051?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks like a 041 AV to me. Welcome ~Z

Thats what I figured, lots of similarities to the non-av 041. I have 2 clutch covers (one with chain brake slot, but not the same one as the one on the saw frame) and a spare 041av air cleaner cover, as well as 2 air cleaner covers for the 041av and a spare half wrap, if anyone has the rear handle for an 041av they'd like to trade.

I also need the top half wrap av bracket that attaches to the chain brake lever, a jug/piston (super'd be nice) and the carb manifolds. I believe I have a spare carb.

Obviously, I have tons of 08s/s10 parts to trade, too.

Thats what I figured, lots of similarities to the non-av 041. I have 2 clutch covers (one with chain brake slot, but not the same one as the one on the saw frame) and a spare 041av air cleaner cover, as well as 2 air cleaner covers for the 041av and a spare half wrap, if anyone has the rear handle for an 041av they'd like to trade.

I also need the top half wrap av bracket that attaches to the chain brake lever, a jug/piston (super'd be nice) and the carb manifolds. I believe I have a spare carb.

Obviously, I have tons of 08s/s10 parts to trade, too.

So....what's the deal with all of this stuff? It belongs to your 'boss'. Right? Or did I miss something?

Oh Nice job on embeding the pics! REP sent!

Yep,

I restore cars for a retired heart surgeon with a cattle ranch who loves 2-strokes. My main job description is maintaining, restoring, and modifying the fleet of '57-72 Saab 93,95,and 96s.

To be honest, I don't really know what his attachment to the saws is. He likes old things and I assume his father used to have 'em on his ranch when they were new. ( not literally these saws, although one or two may be. I seriously doubt if any were that Charly could pick them out though)

From what I can gather, charly buys everything you need to be a top level collector, then realizes he doesn't know how to fix them, even with the tools. I was damn lucky to find this job, but he lucked out finding me, too. I can make things look pretty AND run :)

Thanks on the pics. I was surprised they didn't auto-imbed. The everlast welding forum is built on the same platform, same uploader, but of you 'insert inline' they show up. I suspect some setting is turned off or something in the code for the board.

Last edited:
I played around with with the 041 today, rebuilt the carb, put on the new bar adjuster, tried to fix the clutch...

apart from the bar adjuster, I found little success. so far I've taken the carb down twice, the first time I just cleaned it and put it back together with the old gaskets, as they looked brand new. I *think* did did put the new valve needle in the first time. long story short, it just dumps gas all the time. floods the thing in 1 pull :/ I put the new gaskets on it to see if that was the issue, on dice.

I'm going to put the original needle back in tomorrow (rubber tip, replacement is steel), hopefully that fixes it. if not, I have a few other HS style tillotsons (the 051 and rear handle S-10s).

I'm most of the way though the 051 now also. I made a socket to take the clutch off, now I just need to buy the puller for the flywheel side. got new AV bushings, inner chain guide, clutch(old one was lined, one lining had lifted) waiting to go on. I bought a set of gaskets for it and I'd like to split the case so I can put new oil seals in. I could use a new cylinder for this guy (w/ decomp valve) eventually. I'd like to port it out, so I'll use this compromised one to play around with.

the 08S I (very lightly) ported is still running well. hasn't cut anything but some 10" juniper rounds for testing, but it pulls stronger than the stock one. I did a bit more involved porting on another cylinder, I plan on trying it out tomorrow. about 6-7mm wider, 2.5mm lower intake (incl chamfer), probably 4-5mm wider exhaust, stock timing. intake dur is up to 145 deg, which is a bit more than I was aiming for. stock is ~101.

coincidentally, if anyone else is interested in porting these, inside of the fins on the flywheel is 361mm in circumference, which makes measuring the timing super easy. I use a piece of tape, mark the tape, and measure the marks.

saab,s are swedish why arent ths saws all huskys

Hey guys, I'm just throwing some pics up of my bosses collection of old Stihls. He uses them to cut down cedars on the ranch, and for the entire time I've worked for him, out of the 50 or so he has, there have only ever been one or two running, so I've started going through them.

looking at the first pic,the saws are laid out like this:
S10 top handles (3, on the right)
S10 rear handles
07 and 07s (to the left) and later 08s models (new logo, taller muffler)
there is an 08 hiding behind the 07s to the right, and to the left is the pile of older style 08s.
last row from left to right: 051av, 041,040

there's a pile of handle/clutch covers in the top right corner, and a bunch of saw frames in the fore

ground.

I found another 5 saws (4 newer 08s, 1 S10) under the lean-to that aren't in this picture, as well as the 07 that's on the chainsaw mill. I think my boss has 3 or 4 that run most of the time in the back of his truck, too.
View attachment 235315View attachment 235316View attachment 235317View attachment 235318View attachment 235319

the last picture is where they're hanging for the time being. I need to come up with a good way to store 50+ chainsaws that doesn't take up much room. I don't really have enough space for all the Saab parts as it is.
saabs are swedish,why not husky,s and j reds

Back