Maple Syrup Shack Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whitty21, I work for Royal Homes, one of our sales centers is in Innisfil. Did a house there 2 weeks ago. I very seldom go thru Barrie without stopping at Princess. I was also in the Newmarket one yesterday and in Kitchener on Sunday. Tomorrow morning I'm going to the new one in Owen Sound. No wonder I never get anything done on my splitter.
What do you do at Royal Homes?
Just curious because I used to work for Viceroy Homes as a designer/estimator and contract administrator.

Whitty21, I work for Royal Homes, one of our sales centers is in Innisfil. Did a house there 2 weeks ago. I very seldom go thru Barrie without stopping at Princess. I was also in the Newmarket one yesterday and in Kitchener on Sunday. Tomorrow morning I'm going to the new one in Owen Sound. No wonder I never get anything done on my splitter.
priorities man, priorities!!!!! :laughing:

Well we got to work on it again today.

Got all of the facia and front end facing on. Then we have the roof now 75% strapped. This thing is getting heavy but it is nice and sturdy.

2015-12-05 14.09.51.jpg 2015-12-05 10.30.25.jpg 2015-12-05 10.30.07.jpg 2015-12-05 14.09.08.jpg 2015-12-05 14.09.21.jpg 2015-12-05 14.09.38.jpg 20151205_153316.jpg 20151205_163646.jpg20151205_152339.jpg

Marine5068, my Boss introduced me at a meeting saying that I was "some kind of Supervisor". Not sure if that was a compliment or not. Right now I look after delivery of the houses, truck drivers, vehicles and interior and exterior finish by our crews. I've been here for almost 30 years, started working on the floor of the factory, went on to leadhand, supervisor and eventually Plant Manager. I also worked in Michigan for 6 years, went to Japan twice to teach them how to build Canadian style houses. I've also worked on a couple of Viceroys homes over the years.

Vary nice frame work. Half of my barn was a sugar house. Ex father in law tore it down in 2000 cause it was falling in. All that's left is the 16 by 30 Fondation and the base of the chimney. One day I'm gunna build a new one there. Down at the farm we have Amish made pans about 5 foot by 20 feet. Run about 40 gallons an hour.

Just a minor update. But yesterday we finished strapping the other side of the rood. Dad is ordering the steel today. 400 bucks from some Mennonite company with screws and Ridge cap included.

Grade B is the only way to go. If it isn't giving you early onset diabetes it isn't maple syrup!

Grade B has no more, or less, sugar than Grade A.

And I'd recommend an addition for wood storage. It's nice to have extra space when boiling

Looks like a great structure though! How big are you thinking of going (# of taps, evaporator size, etc...)

And I'd recommend an addition for wood storage. It's nice to have extra space when boiling

Looks like a great structure though! How big are you thinking of going (# of taps, evaporator size, etc...)

There should be a good amount of room for some wood. The pile isn't far from there if we run out. We haven't thought too much about pan size or amounts of buckets. We aren't going into production or anything, just messing around.

Looks nice. I'd agree on wood storage space. At the farm We keep about 10 cord on the end room of the sugar shack. And another 10 cord outside. But that's for 4000 buckets. I only have about 300 personally. My barn had the sugar shack on one end and the lean to for wood storage on the other side of the equipment room. Whole building was 80 by 16, now it's 50 by 16. This thread really makes me want to rebuild the sugar shack. Being a bricklayer it will be block. Got enough just not enough time. One day...

You MUST have somewhere to free all the evap coming from the boiling. Like on top on the first pic. Opening made by cords/pulley combination from the inside. Or you can have pipes getting it out if you have a "closed" setup like second pic (But that kind of boiler costs arm and a leg).

For boilers, you could look at Dominion & Grimm, they are in nearly every sugar shack down here. There's few others too, I will take a look at that and get you back.

Attachments

• evap1.jpg
    evap1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 51
  • setup ferme.jpg
    setup ferme.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 46
You MUST have somewhere to free all the evap coming from the boiling. Like on top on the first pic. Opening made by cords/pulley combination from the inside. Or you can have pipes getting it out if you have a "closed" setup like second pic (But that kind of boiler costs arm and a leg).

For boilers, you could look at Dominion & Grimm, they are in nearly every sugar shack down here. There's few others too, I will take a look at that and get you back.
As stated above, we are going to build a hood and pipe it out. Thanks for the name too. We may get one made up. But we will look into that company

30 gallons an hour on a 2x4 pan is cranking, we have a 18"x60 3 chamber pan and struggle to get 15.

Was out of town for the past week and a half, so I didn't have a chance to correct that typo; it should be 20 gallons an hour. 30 WOULD be crankin'!!

That's right. Difference is the color; B is darker because it has been boiled longer from later-in-the-season sap that has less sugar content and hence needs to be boiled longer to get to syrup. I like B myself, A is just sweet and has hardly any other taste to it. To make your syrup sweeter boil it to 10 or even 12 degrees F above boiling water temp. (here that is 222 to 224 F) or take it all the way to sugar (crystalizing starts around 240 to 245F), but beware: One degree too much and you'll be scraping black goo out of your pot for a day!

Looking forward to more pics!

Black Dogg

Latest posts

Back