Maple tree question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryans4022

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, not sure if this is even the right place for this post but here goes. I have a large Maple tree in my back yard beside my pavilion. Over the years of it growing one or so of the roots has cracked the concrete slab under the pavilion. I wanna pour a cap over the slab this summer and my question is that if i trim the tree way back will the roots stop growing or am i better off taking the tree out. I just dont want another cracked slab! Thanks in advance!!

the tree roots will continue to be a problem until you either take the tree out or take the cement out.Here in Indiana, we get enough extreme weather in the winter that capping concrete is almost always a waste of money and time.Do away with the tree,ccut out the bad concrete and repour more to match

Pictures really help in cases like this.

Isn't your pavilion more enjoyable with the tree there?

The anser to your question is no, but you can slow growth with paclobutrazol.

I'd leave the tree be and just live with the cracks. The tree sounds like it has alot of value. If the tree were taken out it would take years to replace the shade. How close is the trunk to the pavillion and how big are the roots? Try and post some pics if you can.

Thanks for the input!! The tree is close (6or7 feet) from the pavilion and yes it would take away the shade. The slab is actually beyond just cracked its raised up in the middle a few inches and cracked both directions down the middle. Just dont wanna keep gettin cracked slabs. I guess the real answer is to take it out.

I dont know what anyone else would do, but I would take out slab. Maybe trim some of the worst roots out. Not to drastic. I would put extra sand on top of roots and pour another slab with good reinforcing in it. I'm sure you would like to keep the shade, so save it if you can. I hope the raising of the slab does not interfere with an entrance to the house. :monkey:

Take out the tree and all the roots and then replace the slab AND the tree with a new on. Maybe this time though, place a barrier between the new tree roots and the slab. With a maple, the barrier should go down at least 2 feet. It could be simply a 40 mil plastic barrier. The tree won't be harmed by it. It will just redirect the roots elsewhere. And move the tree away from the slab a bit.

Is it possible to put a free standing wood deck over the existing broken patio? Given the cost of concrete and the work involved in removing the old one might be a cheaper option and a lot easier to put a deck over the old patio and roots. The deck will not effect to roots of the obvious beneficial tree. If deck is not option and insist on concrete would be very careful cutting roots, they do hold up the tree. It does usually only takes a very small root to raise up concrete so cutting might be an option, but it would have to be evaluated. As to prevent cracking in the future, adding some reinforcement rods IE: wire, rebar to the cement will help. Maple do have a lot of surface roots, and studies have actually shown that the moist environment below the concrete is a great growing medium for tree roots. good luck

From my experience, you can cover the roots anyway you like but the tree continues to grown and as a result, the root problem will reoccur and recrack the concrete or lift the deck.

ok guys how do i get the pics on here, ive put em on photobucket now what

Under the image on Photobucket you should see four different codes for posting the pics. Find the one that says IMG Code and copy the text and paste it in your post here.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Thanks for the help with the pics! U cant really see the slab but notice the posts on the left side, the concretes humped up enough to have cracked the block posts.

Hello all, not sure if this is even the right place for this post but here goes. I have a large Maple tree in my back yard beside my pavilion. Over the years of it growing one or so of the roots has cracked the concrete slab under the pavilion. I wanna pour a cap over the slab this summer and my question is that if i trim the tree way back will the roots stop growing or am i better off taking the tree out. I just dont want another cracked slab! Thanks in advance!!

I would not advise you to pour a cap over the existing slab. The end result of doing this that water usually gets between the slabs and the freeze and thaw cycle shatters the cap in pretty short order.

What is the thickness of your existing slab? Does it have any reinforcement?
I'm basing this on not seeing the pictures yet, but if it was me I would remove the old slab and pour a new slab a minimum of 4 inches thick and rebar the hell out of it.

Another thought that maybe the tree guys can weigh in on is the possibility of putting about 6 inches of crusher run limestone down under the concrete as a base instead of sand. My thoughts on this would be that the tree roots would be less likely to grow near the surface.

Ok the wood deck will not work there, I misunderstood 'pavilion', you have a large silver maple tree, very prone to extensive surface rooting. Have to agree going over old concrete not the answer, the 2 surfaces will not adhere and it will crack that much faster. Best advice would be remove old material, extensive rebar and wire in the new slab. To late for any type of barrier and extensive root prunning will probably kill the tree and create another problem. Only other suggestion is asphalt, cheaper than concrete and easier to repair. On a side note the tree looks like it could use some pruning, but that is for another thread. Nice yard.

I can't really tell from the pics, are the piers your posts are resting on poured integral with the slab? What kind of foundation do they have under them?

Are your supports for your posts setting on top of your concrete slab? I take it, there is no foundation for those posts. You have a big problem then. I dont see no way in fixing the whole thing without taking the pavillion down. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Yikes!:jawdrop:

Back