Mapleton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
Mapleton Iowa is a little over 30 miles from me so I went down there with the MS460, MS261 and PM610.

Through friend I made contact to someone in that town and cut at the high school and then just drove down the street and just helped whoever was out trying to cut stuff up.

Where these pictures were taken is in the lighter area of damage. There were house that were a total loss where I was but I was on the edge of the path of where the actually tornado went. There is crap every where. Pictures on TV and on line do not do it justice.

Since I was not driving around taking pictures this is all I got.

I might have smoked something on the 460 but I am hoping the clutch is just filled up with chips as the chain spin stiffly and the motor will not spin it:msp_angry:

I was down there from 9AM till 2PM as I had to be home in time for my kids to return from school.

I did not see anybody crying foul or looking for hand outs. People were just digging in their heals and getting things cleaned up.

I saw a larger stihl on a four wheeler but no other big saws down there where I was. Lots of people with saws with 16-20" bars trying to cut up trees over 36" across. I hope to go back tomorrow again.

Went up on one roof and cut trees off the house. Young couple with a two month old son. My wife is currently out of town until this weekend so I am trying to balance going there to help but have to make sure I am back in time for my kids. I would have liked to stayed there all day to help, but I have to be here.

mapleton008.jpg

mapleton007.jpg

mapleton006.jpg

mapleton005.jpg

mapleton004.jpg

mapleton003.jpg

mapleton002.jpg

What a mess, it's real nice of you to donate your time to some folks down on their luck. Tornado season is kicking off with a bang. I think we had 7 in Wisconsin yesterday.
Kevin

Rep for your helping your not so near neighbors. Hope your saw is gonna be ok.
At first glance I thought there was a climber in the tree in your second pic. Sure looks like a large mess they have to clean up.
I'm really glad we don't have twisters here, just a few earthquakes every now and then.
:cheers:

When I was a teenager, a tornado came through the small town of Gary, MN. Dad and I were on the way to an implement to by some parts for the combine, and he just happened to have the Homie 150 in the pickup. We stopped for about 3 or 4 hours and cut until we ran out of gas and time. Same story, just good people trying to restore some order out of the chaos.

My SuperXL got a good workout after the big ice storm in Kansas City about 9 years ago. Same sort of deal. Cut a lot of trees for members in our church and for some friends who got hit hard. Same sort of deal. I had one friend without power for nearly two weeks. Lost a lot of trees in his yard.

Good on you. That's the way it has to be done, help your neighbors.

Kuddos to you for for helping others in need. I hope that a simple cleaning puts your MS460 right.

Edit--Can't rep you, need to spread it around first.

I took the clutch off the 460 and one side of one of the shoe the tab is broken off:msp_ohmy: I think it has been that way for a while. I wonder if I am going to do damage running it that way with one tab missing?

Just got back from the dealer with the seven pin sprocket and new bar studs I ordered last week and they stock no parts:bang: nobody around here seems to.

I even asked if the could make me a chain nope no .063 3/8 to be had even though they have a new 660 on the wall.

I might take the Mac 660 tomorrow and see how that goes. That thing while very fun to run is tough to drag around, but may be my only choice now.

The scary part is that oak tree in one picture I limbed it and bucked it into 8' sections but everything I try to cut is so twisted and broken up it is really tough to deal with on binding the saws. Sometime if not carefull a branch will swing up like A-rod does a bat and man could that ever hurt. Lot of pressure on many branches being so twisted around stuff.

It is going to take a couple of years for this town to get everything cleaned up. What a mess.

That's a big mess. You're a heck of a good guy to help out like that.:clap:

Good for you Struggle.

I saw a few clips on the news this morning (I was in the Detroit airport today) and wondered if some AS members would be able to help out.

I was gone when the F5 went through Parkersburg and New Hartford a few years back but younger son Josh went up to help with a few of my big saws. You cannot imagine the destruction and the complete mess it leaves behind. When I flew in to Waterloo after that one (maybe 10 days later?) you could see lumber and debris nearly 10 miles from the path of the tornado. looked like a kids game of pick up sticks.

Mark

Enjoy a couple new A's in your rep.

Let it be said here that Shane is a scholar and a gentleman.

I'm not certain I could handle this sort of work. I would feel compelled to help, yet seeing other's lives torn asunder might hit a little too close to the vest for comfort. I reckon I'd help because, after all, my misgivings would seem cheap and trivial to those affected.

God bless you and all of them.

Been a bad year already and it's only April...

Good for you Struggle.

I saw a few clips on the news this morning (I was in the Detroit airport today) and wondered if some AS members would be able to help out.

I was gone when the F5 went through Parkersburg and New Hartford a few years back but younger son Josh went up to help with a few of my big saws. You cannot imagine the destruction and the complete mess it leaves behind. When I flew in to Waterloo after that one (maybe 10 days later?) you could see lumber and debris nearly 10 miles from the path of the tornado. looked like a kids game of pick up sticks.

Mark

Hit me up next time you're passin' through. No need to run saws, I'll buy ya' lunch.

outstanding job for stepping up... our house in NY used to flood all the time and had people helping us some times.. so I know what it is like for someone to just stop what they are doing and help in a time of need!!! great job..

Good on you for helping out:) and hope you get your saw back in working order. Do be careful on those twisted limbs, dont want one to reach back and pop you. We dont get many tornadoes down here, and the ones we get arnt usually any stronger than EF-0s. We do get the occasional hurricane, but here on the Gulf side where I am at we havnt had a direct hit since the 50s I think.

I live 45 miles from there. We had 4 tornados go threw sac county..We had one come close to my home it blew out the windows in the shop and took off the doors of my shed and corn crib .Took out many farm places.. So my son and took time out for the last few days to help them clean up..God I feel really sorry for my neighbors some are homeless.God help them.

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am sure anyone one of you would do the same. It is really overwhelming to look at in person and where I was the houses were still standing and it is only a town of 1,200 people. They claim that 60% of the town is a total loss.

After I get some things done in the house and kids to bed I will see if I can ready the 660 to take tomorrow. It is missing the duckbill valave and I have not ordered a new one yet so I hate to take it with it leaking fuel. I am wondering the one on the SP125 I bought is any good and then I can take that saw. If not I can use the C-51 at least it has a 24" bar on it.

It does not seem like I got much done while there in comparison to all that will need to be done. Better to show up and work down there than sit here at the house and wonder if I could be of any help.

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am sure anyone one of you would do the same. It is really overwhelming to look at in person and where I was the houses were still standing and it is only a town of 1,200 people. They claim that 60% of the town is a total loss.

After I get some things done in the house and kids to bed I will see if I can ready the 660 to take tomorrow. It is missing the duckbill valave and I have not ordered a new one yet so I hate to take it with it leaking fuel. I am wondering the one on the SP125 I bought is any good and then I can take that saw. If not I can use the C-51 at least it has a 24" bar on it.

It does not seem like I got much done while there in comparison to all that will need to be done. Better to show up and work down there than sit here at the house and wonder if I could be of any help.

FWIW, the duckbill will only prevent leakage if you're felling with the saw perpendicular. If you're only buckin' and she can gulp air, go for it.

Latest posts

Back