marking rounds for bucking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been cutting fire wood since I was a TINY TIKE . Dad had a buzz saw set up and anchored down good sowe built the buzz pile around it. Dad could set the piece on the saw and cut it pretty close to the 16 inch size we used then. We sold off all the farm equipment in the late 60's so cutting wood became a chain saw affair. I had devloped what I called measure eye sight. Devloped it even more when I started bow hunting so I can guestmate from 16 inches to hundreds of yards pretty close.
If I had to be so anal that every chunk had to be with in a thousands of an inch of each other I would just buy pellets and sort them to burn or say to h e l l with it and use natural gas.
I think some people just have to much time on ther hands.
Don't ya just hate it when you spent the time to mark the cut on the logs and the log rolls so you have to remark it?

:D Al

Last edited:
Because I sell a little wood, I cant go over18"-19". My stove will go 20"-21" max, so 18" is fine with me.

Use the same stick (piece of old yard stick) and a can of paint. Little dot of paint, flip the stick, dot of paint, flip, dot...

The link in my Signature shows the stacks from beginning (log load delivered) to end (final stack).

I am a little OCD about things, but I like things done, the way I like things done. To each there own. No? :rock:

u6equ2ym.jpg

I could be wrong, but I truly believe that this ugly pile is going to keep a few houses warm this winter. We'll see.

Without a doubt, it is indeed your stack and your wood

Because I sell a little wood, I cant go over18"-19". My stove will go 20"-21" max, so 18" is fine with me.

Use the same stick (piece of old yard stick) and a can of paint. Little dot of paint, flip the stick, dot of paint, flip, dot...

The link in my Signature shows the stacks from beginning (log load delivered) to end (final stack).

I am a little OCD about things, but I like things done, the way I like things done. To each there own. No? :rock:
It doesn't matter to me one bit how fast you wash it,OCD makes the world go round and round and round

I really don't see marking wood as OCD. If you are good enough to eyeball your lengths and it's close enough for you and everything you cut fits, then more power to you. Some in this thread talk like it would take hours to mark out a tree. I guess if you marked one then cut it, then marked the next it might could take a fair amount of time - but I normally mark the whole tree at one time then just go to cutting. Literally 5 minutes max for me to mark out most trees - even better, I just hand a precut length of pvc and paint can to my son and I begin cutting while he marks. I like to get as much wood in my stove per loading, which means there's not alot of margin for error on the lengths. For me, my wood needs to be real close to 21" long. Sure stinks to find several sticks cut a little too long to fit. The time it would take to get my saw out to trim such pieces would far exceed just marking the whole tree to begin with.

Just my opinion - each needs to do what works for them and makes sense to them. I do admire nice clean wood piles though. If anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right IMO.

Waylan

I hope no one has taken offense to my posts, not my intent

I am not as meticulous as some are with my wood. I do understand and appreciate the hard work that goes into near perfect cutting and stacks, and if that pleases the cutter/stacker then so be it.

Well Said.....

I really don't see marking wood as OCD. If you are good enough to eyeball your lengths and it's close enough for you and everything you cut fits, then more power to you. Some in this thread talk like it would take hours to mark out a tree. I guess if you marked one then cut it, then marked the next it might could take a fair amount of time - but I normally mark the whole tree at one time then just go to cutting. Literally 5 minutes max for me to mark out most trees - even better, I just hand a precut length of pvc and paint can to my son and I begin cutting while he marks. I like to get as much wood in my stove per loading, which means there's not alot of margin for error on the lengths. For me, my wood needs to be real close to 21" long. Sure stinks to find several sticks cut a little too long to fit. The time it would take to get my saw out to trim such pieces would far exceed just marking the whole tree to begin with.

Just my opinion - each needs to do what works for them and makes sense to them. I do admire nice clean wood piles though. If anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right IMO.

Waylan

My thinking exactly. Well said my friend.

Because I buy log loads, I roll out as many logs as I can and mark them. And when I cut in the woods, I do the same as you. Mark the entire tree. Then cut.

My son is 12 and as much as I say, that "I Mark them". I really mean "He marks them" He mostly marks and then runs the handle on the splitter. No real saw work yet. He has made a few cuts, but he aint bucking up entire loads. (As much as he thinks, he isnt ready. Momma dont think so either)

No offense taken from anyone. It does take a little extra time. But not as much as one would think.

Here are my stacks..........

Not gonna comment:msp_biggrin:

Damn Dex, those are BEAUTIFUL stacks! You could be the poster-boy for Woodpile OCD! Makes me feel inadequate.

On the subject of marking, when I cut in the woods, there are two of us. By marking the hole tree, we can start at opposite ends and work towards the middle.

Hopefully before it falls over :msp_scared: :laugh:

It ain't leaning. Camera angle I guess. If you look down the side its as straight as a gun barrel. Well except they ain't all the same length.

Weird.

Latest posts

Back