Mastermind 346 comes through

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcaarms

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cleaned up the two main logs remaining from this Spring's tornado. I've been on the road a lot again for work. It's been a cool spell so I figured this was the weekend. I had cut the 30ish inch trunk into 18" segments and figured I'd roll them with good ole muscle power. Turns out some of the segments weren't cut all the way through. I got out my 2260 and made quick work of a couple of them. Too quick. Stuck the tip in the dirt. Put on fresh chain, and did the same thing again. No longer have a tractor, so I muscled a couple to the perimeter of the fire circle. I figured I could lift some of them onto the burning pile. Way too heavy. So instead of taking the time to sharpen a couple of chains, I went up and grabbed the first saw I came to that had a bar mounted. MM 346xp 3/8 7pin. with a 16" bar. I had my doubts, but figured I'd find out if the thing really was a stout as everyone says they are. Had the thing buried bucking several segments of oak. Noodled a couple of segments that were 18" across so once again buried. Finished up the oak and went over to the cherry trunk that was about 18" in diameter. It performed flawlessly. I am amazed at the saw. Of course If I had been a little more careful with the 2260 I would have never attempted the chore with the 346. I am now also a believer.DSC_0771.JPG

Nice! You've had the 346 how long? And just now realizing it's a lil' beast...

I'd have started with the 346 myself. :D
The 346 is very stout. However, the 2260 and the 372 will out perform it in big wood. If I wasn't lazy, I would have taken the time to put on another chain. Working in a cool spell of 90 degree %60 humidity makes prolonging the chore by sharpening and mounting chains not so desirable. Between the oilers and HP the 60 and 70 cc saws just work better in big wood. The weight of the 88 tends to keep it on the shelf except for really big stuff. My laziness led me to use the 346 in bigger wood than I set it up for. Till the next tornado, they are put up for now.

Latest posts

Back