Mastermind And The 562XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did some more playing around today with this saw. The EL46 is not cooperating in any way, not responding to any modifications I've made. Those modifications include swapping out the nozzle for the style that originally came in the EL44, playing with various different popoff pressures, and playing with the throttle butterfly.

The EL44 on the other hand seems to make this a completely different saw. This saw currently has the latest ignition module, an EL44 carburetor, and the AT unit off the EL46 (only because of communication with the ig. coil - EL44 comp works on different frequency). It still had a slight and intermittent hesitation after that. I the rotated the throttle butterfly so that one of the notches lines up with the 3 tiny transition holes in the body of the carb. It is running a stock spring for stock popoff pressure. Throttle response is looking lightning fast right now with zero hesitations. Idles for minutes at a time without loading up. That said, since I've rotated the butterfly I've not had the chance to put it in any wood for a complete test.

That's my update.

When you put EL46 carb and set proper software chainsaw seems to have cut speed, (not in every saw) but when you changed carb to EL44 and other stuff it is different saw you feel that power.

So I did some more playing around today with this saw. The EL46 is not cooperating in any way, not responding to any modifications I've made. Those modifications include swapping out the nozzle for the style that originally came in the EL44, playing with various different popoff pressures, and playing with the throttle butterfly.

The EL44 on the other hand seems to make this a completely different saw. This saw currently has the latest ignition module, an EL44 carburetor, and the AT unit off the EL46 (only because of communication with the ig. coil - EL44 comp works on different frequency). It still had a slight and intermittent hesitation after that. I the rotated the throttle butterfly so that one of the notches lines up with the 3 tiny transition holes in the body of the carb. It is running a stock spring for stock popoff pressure. Throttle response is looking lightning fast right now with zero hesitations. Idles for minutes at a time without loading up. That said, since I've rotated the butterfly I've not had the chance to put it in any wood for a complete test.

That's my update.
Good going Tk!!

TK, if you've given up on the EL46 and not going to use it, how about pulling the welch plugs and taking a picture. Maybe we can figure out what kind of circuits it has. If you're careful and drill a very small hole to hook the plug and pull it out with a bent safety pin, you can reuse them. I've resealed them with some nail polish after tapping them back in - rough as guts, but it worked.

If the throttle plate rotation made such a difference, it appears to be a low speed circuit problem.

The conventional C1M has the transition holes offset from the centreline and the idle hole. That's because the low speed jet is located off to the side and the transition holes sit right above it. It sounds like the AT carb is configured differently if they are in line. Which then brings up the question, where is the low speed jet?

I haven't given up on the 46. I've actually made progress on it since the last post. The 44 seems to be a far better fix at this point, but I'm hoping to make it so owners can keep their current carburetors and avoid the expense of buying a new one. I certainly hope no one is jumping the gun buying parts at this point as we update our progress. We will be sure to let you know when the fix is a solid and affordable repair. No need to spend money when it's not needed. While the 44 is a viable fix, why spend the money if you don't have to? Don't kick yourself because you didn't wait just a couple more days...... ;)

And EL44 carbs are still available new at dealers. Please don't go find someone with an older 562 and hijack their carb!!!!!

TK has suggested that my 44 swap is a bit hasty so before everyone

zepu6egu.jpg

Please understand a fix is near. Yes, if you have a 44 handy...it will be a instant fix but as TK said, have patients and save some money.

+1 on what brad says. l'm about to get one of these saws or a red one (2260). ls it only cause there are more huskys sold that the problem is showing up on 562's or have Jreds had the same issue. l just have not heard anything wrong with the Jred carbs??

I have no idea what y'all are talking about. I really need to do some basic carb reading, but I appreciate all the work ur putting in on this fix.

+1 on what brad says. l'm about to get one of these saws or a red one (2260). ls it only cause there are more huskys sold that the problem is showing up on 562's or have Jreds had the same issue. l just have not heard anything wrong with the Jred carbs??
It's a numbers thing as with most manufacturers defects. I know of one Jred with the issue. He is just waiting til I grind on it to fix.

I may add, it is a small percentage

Any idea how the older coil and older AT module work on the EL46. Finding new corners in the box. Don't have any EL46's to play with yet.

Will be surprised if you do see any. Husky will be changing the carb again soon. No experience with old module on new carb just new coil and computer on old EL44.

Mitch, thanks for pulling the welsh plugs. Even after I pulled the plugs on the conventional C1M, I still couldn't figure out how the low speed circuit got its fuel. It turned out that there was a hidden passage. The reason it was hidden is that the insertion of the low speed jet during assembly blocked off one end of the passage and you couldn't see it. It was only when I found the outlet for the passage in the bottom of the well in the center of the carb that I figured it out.

I think you may find the same thing with the AT carb.

The jet you indicated looks to be only for the low speed circuit. There is probably another passage that feeds over to the main nozzle.

Here's something that sparked my interest. You mentioned some sort of device on the side of the carb that fed information to the computer about the 'position' of the throttle valve. Is this some sort of cam device? If so, perhaps the cam profile can be modified.

Anybody able to get a Zama part number on the EL46 nozzle? EL44 is a A007703, which Husky lists as the same part number for the EL44 and 46, but obviously there is a difference and we know how low it takes for mother orange to sort out some of its IPL's.

Back