Mastermind Meets the Dolmar 120si

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant find alot of info on them. I think there were 3 varieties- 120, 120 super, and 120si. This one came up on a Craiglist ad as "Sachs Dolmar 20 saw". Price was right. Called the guy he had to go look in the shed to get me the model #. Read what I could over night, watched a couple videos, ran it through a piece of wood off the back of my truck next day, and brought it home. Gentleman was a older man and it had gotten to heavy for him. He had picked up a 55 rancher and was gonna do his cuttin with it. Sold me the Dolmar to cover what he paid for the used 55. It instantly became my one of my favorites. Grab it more than any of the other 70cc saws I have. That may change after Mastermind does my 044 next. We'll see. I know that 44 he let me run last week was a monster!

Meeting you and your wife was a pleasure Steven. She's sure full of life. It's a lucky guy that finds a gal he can enjoy hobbies and work with, she liked the saws as much as you!!!

I'll try to get some larger wood for your next visit so you can run this 064 I just finished.

Tuning, Check and probably replace the felt fuel filter element, also check the HS carb for a dirty inlet screen also the metering lever height and condition of the inlet needle

Scott

I agree with you Randy too bad they don't have the dealer network. Closest one to me is redding, about 4-5 hour ride. I would love to have a 166, and or a 9010 solid well built looking. How big is the 120, 70cc did I read that right above?

Kari is my second and last try at marriage. She is the perfect girl. My brother actually introduced us in a club thru another girl he knew. I could hardly speak to her even with the drinks in me. Few weeks later me and some of my friends went to Hooters. She brushed up against me and said "I know you" to which I replied "You do?" Needless to say, I started going in there alot always trying to get in her section. My brother finally went back in there with me and revealed that I was "smitten with her" while I stepped away from the table. She wrote her # down and placed it in the center of the table and said "well yall can call me" I cooly dove across the table for the paper. She came over for the first date and never went back home. Moved in the next day. I took on the role of raising her little boy who was 13 months. He is now 5. We also have two little girls, Ryleigh who is 2 1/2, and Madalyn who is 1 1/2. I had been married and divorced before and was bitter. Kari has completely changed my life in the last four years. She has been a blessing to which I can pen no words. She actually doesnt get my fascination with saws, but supports me in all things. Reason she talked so much, is I never have anything to say- very quiet. I brought her along bc she can have a full blown conversation with a tree.

I agree with you Randy too bad they don't have the dealer network. Closest one to me is redding, about 4-5 hour ride. I would love to have a 166, and or a 9010 solid well built looking. How big is the 120, 70cc did I read that right above?

I believe 68cc if memory serves me right. May be wrong.

The 120si / PS6800 were 68cc saws

Scott

Kari is my second and last try at marriage. She is the perfect girl. My brother actually introduced us in a club thru another girl he knew. I could hardly speak to her even with the drinks in me. Few weeks later me and some of my friends went to Hooters. She brushed up against me and said "I know you" to which I replied "You do?" Needless to say, I started going in there alot always trying to get in her section. My brother finally went back in there with me and revealed that I was "smitten with her" while I stepped away from the table. She wrote her # down and placed it in the center of the table and said "well yall can call me" I cooly dove across the table for the paper. She came over for the first date and never went back home. Moved in the next day. I took on the role of raising her little boy who was 13 months. He is now 5. We also have two little girls, Ryleigh who is 2 1/2, and Madalyn who is 1 1/2. I had been married and divorced before and was bitter. Kari has completely changed my life in the last four years. She has been a blessing to which I can pen no words. She actually doesnt get my fascination with saws, but supports me in all things. Reason she talked so much, is I never have anything to say- very quiet. I brought her along bc she can have a full blown conversation with a tree.

I met my wife and within three days we were living together. And in a week we got married. When you meet the right one there ain't no denying it. We're working on our 26th year of marriage.

I met my wife and within three days we were living together. And in a week we got married. When you meet the right one there ain't no denying it. We're working on our 26th year of marriage.

dang randy,, your a fast mover
my wife has put up with me for 12 years now,,, poor woman

The stock video doesn't do the 120si justice. It's far from running right. Seemed to start out ok but took a nose dive. The 120si's were "the saw" in that class. Not knocking you, but I'm sure you'll get the leaning out problem licked.

The stock video doesn't do the 120si justice. It's far from running right. Seemed to start out ok but took a nose dive. The 120si's were "the saw" in that class. Not knocking you, but I'm sure you'll get the leaning out problem licked.

That's very true. When I build a saw though I do a video of it exactly as it arrives. I did mention that it was dull and fat. :laugh:

It will be running perfect when I'm done.......sharp too. :D

Those old SDs were great saws. I got a brand new 116si (my one and only new saw ever!) when my 266 ate it's piston and killed the jug too. I went from a fine running 266XP 4.0 ci to the 116si with 3.7 ci. I couldn't tell much difference really and the SD was lighter. I got a 133 (might be a 144, it has markings for both 133 and 143 but I haven't measured the bore yet) later and it's just a monster as far as power goes, right up there with my old 2100 Husky. I also have a 115 I'm trying to find parts for. Unfortunately someone got to the saw with a tap and die set. I'm not sure I can ever get one of the AV mounts to hold.

Anyway, the SD's were great saws. I had a Husky/Jonsereds dealership and was the main wrench. They were right up there with those two as far as quality from what I could see. I know the si was always a great starter too, not something that could always be said for the Huskys or Jreds in real cold weather. Whatever they did to the carb worked very well.

That's very true. When I build a saw though I do a video of it exactly as it arrives. I did mention that it was dull and fat. :laugh:

It will be running perfect when I'm done.......sharp too. :D

IN RANDY I TRUST!:rock: Thats what I like about the Mastermind threads, the b4 and after. Those videos showcase the skills of the builder. I know there are builders whose work is top secret, but they wont get anywhere near one of my saws. I understand cornering your market and wanting to have the upperhand on your competition- the other builders, but this site is about sharing and learning. It is a global community of enthusiast who all share a commonality- the love of saws. Those that are secretive or boast of great things but wont show or prove it, dont belong here. I feel apart of something when I log in to the site. Always tell my wife "Gotta see what the fellas are saying" even though I will probably never meet or even speak to most of the guys on the site. I appreciate the sense of community most share here. I appreciate Mastermind threads bc, I personally will never go into one of my saws, and thru Randy's instructional threads, I get to be a part of the build and learn something about my saw. I can't work on a saw and would rather spend the money and have the peace of mind that its done right. Besides that, for me it's funner to run them than to work on em. Hell, I'm giving away firewood to folks at my church bc I have so much that my wife wont let me bring no more home until some is gone- that means no more cutting for me. So the woods gotta go.

Video # 2 pls!:popcorn:

I've got it all squared away Steven. What I don't have is a decent log in the bench. My help is gone too. I'll get it posted tomorrow at any rate. :)

The problem was the carb. It had the clear fuel pump diaphragm and evidently couldn't keep up with demand. I rebuilt the carb with the black diaphragm and a new kit now all is well. :D

When did you want to pick it up???

Latest posts

Back