Mastermind Meets the Dolmar 120si

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a bunch of saw there stock, showing it in such a bad light in the first vid does make for some good advertising.

Bet you would catch a lot more grief if you tried that with a 044/372.

A good running stock 120si/6800 will run right with either of those saws (even giving up three cc)

I for one ain't buyin' it. (little lean on the low side there too)

Cool. :msp_thumbup:

There's a bunch of saw there stock, showing it in such a bad light in the first vid does make for some good advertising.

Bet you would catch a lot more grief if you tried that with a 044/372.

A good running stock 120si/6800 will run right with either of those saws (even giving up three cc)

I for one ain't buyin' it. (little lean on the low side there too)

That's a low blow and was uncalled for. Randy ran the saw exactly how I delivered it to him, dull chain and all. I asked him to do the 120si bc it's a little different from the Stihls and Huskys. I knew the tuning was off when I took it to him. I dont know how to tune a saw is why I went to a professional that I trust. Randy has proven his work in his other threads. You mention the 044- Im taking him one next weekend when I pick up this one. There are those of us here who appreciate the Mastrmind threads and look forward to them. Thanks for the work again Randy... I'll get with ya on the business end of the deal.

I like your vids, mastermind. I think you were pretty clear in your explanation of the saws original condition. Dolmars are cool.

For those of you familiar with the Dolly.... do you think it would pull a 24'' bar with authority? I like that length on my other 70cc saws. I'm 6'5'' and the extra 4'' over the 20'' bar would be appreciated if it doenst cost me too much performance.

I run a 24 incher on mine. Mainly for the reach.
But the 120SI can pull it in larger wood.

Randy, the second vid sure looks great. But hard
to tell what the gains are since the first vid was a
saw that wasn't properly tuned.
Although i am impressed buy the second video.

Lee

thanks for the info. thats an original Sachs Dolmar bar on it- the old man I bought it from said it was the orig. Wonder if I can find a 24'' sachs dolmar bar for it? what brand bar do you have on yours? 20'' bar gets old at my height. Gonna be looking for another bar (and chain LOL)

Randy, Dont forget my "Mastermind" sticker.

Regards

For those of you familiar with the Dolly.... do you think it would pull a 24'' bar with authority? I like that length on my other 70cc saws. I'm 6'5'' and the extra 4'' over the 20'' bar would be appreciated if it doenst cost me too much performance.

Oh yeah Steven it will pull a 24" bar without breaking a sweat.

Don't feel any need to defend me my friend. I can take care of myself just fine. I agree with sachsmo that the 120 was misrepresented in the first video. Though I do think I mentioned that it was dull and I thought it was running rich. After trying to tune it modded I now know that it was running out of fuel in the cut. It ain't lean on the low side after warming up either...just a bit when cold.

There are different diaphragms that are better suited for crappy fuel (clear) or that will pull more fuel (black) Steven's saw had the clear one and wasn't pulling enough fuel.

One other thing about the two videos is that in the first one I'm cutting a piece of white pine, and in the second I cutting walnut. I wonder if that hard ass pine was causing the saw to bog when I dogged it in???? :hmm3grin2orange:

Didnt.

Just spoke honest for how I read it. what did the 019 need?

It had a Tygon fuel line in it that was too long and kinking up a little. We rebuilt the carb and added a couple of slits to the muffle outlet, dressed the bar and sharpened it up too.

Oh yeah, I have a nice Stihl case that's made for that saw to give you for it. I thought it would work for my 009L but my saw won't fit in it. :(

Another chip throwing son of a bit##! Forgot the first vid, been a week or so. The main thing is the saw is in good order now:clap:

Another chip throwing son of a bit##! Forgot the first vid, been a week or so. The main thing is the saw is in good order now:clap:

Thanks Norm. :rock:

These videos can be a double edged sword. I'm building a 372 right now that would be a tough one to show a gain in small wood. I reckon a feller could put a 8 pin on in the after video. :laugh:

Thanks Norm. :rock:

These videos can be a double edged sword. I'm building a 372 right now that would be a tough one to show a gain in small wood. I reckon a feller could put a 8 pin on in the after video. :laugh:

if you are talking about mine randy,, i have a new 8 pin waiting,, that was my plan

It had a Tygon fuel line in it that was too long and kinking up a little. We rebuilt the carb and added a couple of slits to the muffle outlet, dressed the bar and sharpened it up too.

Oh yeah, I have a nice Stihl case that's made for that saw to give you for it. I thought it would work for my 009L but my saw won't fit in it. :(

Thanks,
Now that ya mention it, I got a little 009L that needs some tuning. I'll bring it with the 044

Anytime brother! I am really liking my 372 the more I run it, got it used only had it maybe a year. Nice saw's if I had the dough I would send you mine. Had a dream the other night one of my saws had a new sticker on it. Seems I asked a fella awhile back about getting one LOL! My subconcious must be saying something to me it's time for a little devine intervention. I could handle a ported 372:msp_thumbsup:

if you are talking about mine randy,, i have a new 8 pin waiting,, that was my plan

Yeah Scott I was talking about your saw. With my bar and chain that's a fast SOB. A bit of port work and some more compression and WOW. :D

Thanks,
Now that ya mention it, I got a little 009L that needs some tuning. I'll bring it with the 044

How many damn saws you got dude???? :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah Scott I was talking about your saw. With my bar and chain that's a fast SOB. A bit of port work and some more compression and WOW. :D

How many damn saws you got dude???? :hmm3grin2orange:

A few. I'm gonna have to go shopping for some more soon. I want a Johnsered 2188 so bad I cant stand it but I dont have a dealer anywhere in Knoxville and the website is useless. Best thing I can do is keep working- that way I dont have time to look. Ive got a wish list a page long.

Anytime brother! I am really liking my 372 the more I run it, got it used only had it maybe a year. Nice saw's if I had the dough I would send you mine. Had a dream the other night one of my saws had a new sticker on it. Seems I asked a fella awhile back about getting one LOL! My subconcious must be saying something to me it's time for a little devine intervention. I could handle a ported 372:msp_thumbsup:

I just finished a 372 and I'm working on another.

In the first I didn't raise the cylinder wall to unshroud the lower transfers, everyone says to do that but I wanted to see just how much difference it makes. I just got a longer bar for some timed cuts and will have a tach before the end of the week. I plan to do some side by side testing in the same wood....

I do believe it will make quite a lot of difference. I just have to do these things to see why.....and how....and stuff. :D

A few. I'm gonna have to go shopping for some more soon. I want a Johnsered 2188 so bad I cant stand it but I dont have a dealer anywhere in Knoxville and the website is useless. Best thing I can do is keep working- that way I dont have time to look. Ive got a wish list a page long.

I've got a nice 288 I would sell. :)

I think a Stumpbroke sticker would look just dandy on yer saw:rock:

Sorry Randy, I just had to say it:hmm3grin2orange:

Looking forward to running a mooberized 372:)

Latest posts

Back