Mastermind Meets the Dolmar 120si

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to be off topic but to answer the question about the 288's - well they are just a really nice saw to use, especially in hard/dry wood. And they sound nice too!
After Matt talked them up in his great thread I got a 288 too. It went so well my son grabbed it, so I went on the look out for another. I found one, and it turned out to be a 281, then another appeared that turned out to be 181. I was initially a bit disappointed with the smaller bore but the 281 is a great goer.
But the biggest surprise was the 181. In really nice, original condition and with the thin ring piston pulling 185 lbs compression it is a cutting freak. Don't ask me why it goes so well but it is my favorite of the three.
If you can talk Randy out of that 288 you will never regret it.

Al.

not trying to hijack this thread but this is the 288 that i put together,, it is a torque monster

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bgrRL1nPiz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah Scott I was talking about your saw. With my bar and chain that's a fast SOB. A bit of port work and some more compression and WOW. :D

i hate to say this randy since i might get a beating from you guys,,, but that is the saw i got off of fleabay several months ago,, he had just listed it with a buy now of 225.00,,, i paid a total of 243.00 with shipping,, if i remember right i did nothing to it except to do a minor cleanup,,, sorry i just had to add this,,,,, question is did i get a good deal???? :D:D:D:D

i hate to say this randy since i might get a beating from you guys,,, but that is the saw i got off of fleabay several months ago,, he had just listed it with a buy now of 225.00,,, i paid a total of 243.00 with shipping,, if i remember right i did nothing to it except to do a minor cleanup,,, sorry i just had to add this,,,,, question is did i get a good deal???? :D:D:D:D

I'm afraid you got ripped off bad Scott. I sit it on my bench and it just fell apart. Luckily it landed in a box and I was able to catch all the parts. :msp_smile:

Well fellas, I have researched and read every thread I can find on a 288 and my findings were alarming. I found that it is absolutely vital to my very health, happiness, and self worth to lay claim to one of these beast immediately! The other thing I discovered while taking inventory is I dont own a single Orange saw and living in "UT" country this is unacceptable. 288 is the obvious choice as it is a classic saw with pure unbridled raw power. Hopefully I can resolve this need in the next few days. I could go for the new saw, but I like my stuff to look used and rugged, not like a shiny shelf queen. I am not interested in collecting, I want something I can take to the woods or the wood pile. That said- does any of the TN boys know of a Dealership in the surrounding area that carries Johnsered?

There's a dealer in Jefferson City but I don't know what they carry. The next closest is in abingdon va and they usually have a 2172 in stock. Those 2100s pop up from time to time. I have one right now that I need to get put together and useable.

I went all the way to Morristown today bc I thought there was a dealer down there. Want a 2188. I like the look of the Johnny over the 390.

I went all the way to Morristown today bc I thought there was a dealer down there. Want a 2188. I like the look of the Johnny over the 390.

They used to be a J'red dealer between Madisonville and Tellico.....give me a minute and Ill come up with the name.

There's a dealer in Jefferson City but I don't know what they carry. The next closest is in abingdon va and they usually have a 2172 in stock. Those 2100s pop up from time to time. I have one right now that I need to get put together and useable.

I past that dealer today in Jefferson City headed for Morristown- I was going off memory and I thought it was Alpha Equipt in Morristown. Alpha sent me on a wild goose chase over to Whitepine TN where there is a husky dealer. Ill have to check the one out in Jefferson.

Not to get back on topic or anything, this is a great thread, but I just bought a 120si and it says "Extra" on the side. Any idea what is extra about it? It has a full wrap bar but other than that it looks and acts like a 120si. Great saw - looking forward to next firewood season now.

Not to get back on topic or anything, this is a great thread, but I just bought a 120si and it says "Extra" on the side. Any idea what is extra about it? It has a full wrap bar but other than that it looks and acts like a 120si. Great saw - looking forward to next firewood season now.

I'm not sure but would bet that the "Extra" is about the full wrap.

Probably a west coast thing. Pioneerguy600 would know....

I'll post sopme pics when I get home in a couple of days. It's a nice saw, runs good, cuts good. I haven't had a change to really check it out, but so far, so good. Also the serial number is 030 080839 - any way to date this saw?

So full wraps aren't all that common out East?

I'll post sopme pics when I get home in a couple of days. It's a nice saw, runs good, cuts good. I haven't had a change to really check it out, but so far, so good. Also the serial number is 030 080839 - any way to date this saw?

So full wraps aren't all that common out East?

I don't have a clue about the serial number/age thing.

Full wraps are pretty rare here. I would love to find one for the 038 Mag II we have though.

Latest posts

Back