Mastermind Worksaws Finally Gets More Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a big new holland mower that kind of matches that baler ,cut a 12 foot path ,i crushed it though ,all it needed was a fuel injection pump ,had a ford diesel in it .Looked like this
7867673_large_36227.jpg

We have 8-10 percent grade fields as well....just tough hanging onto a camera and the sticks to keep things right. Up right! New Holland square balers are really solid machines. AND parts are around as well as plenty of knowledge on how to make them work nice...great stuff! Did you port that thing to make it spit hay out faster??

I have 100 nice acres and around 25 that are brutal steep.
(Might have some hill side pics..)

Some of mine and about mid way through..my neighbors. Steeper than it looks in the video!

We have 8 percent grade fields as well....just tough hanging onto a camera and the sticks to keep things right. Up right! New Holland square balers are really solid machines. AND parts are around as well as plenty of knowledge on how to make them work nice...great stuff! Did you port that thing to make it spit hay out faster??

I have 100 nice acres and around 25 that are brutal steep.
(Might have some hill side pics..)

Some of mine and about mid way through..my neighbors. Steeper than it looks in the video!

If you mow the second swath first and the first one last, if there are any tree branches in the hay you will see them before the haybine hits them. Mowing the first, last insures you get the majority down in case you miss a branch.

I had a big new holland mower that kind of matches that baler ,cut a 12 foot path ,i crushed it though ,all it needed was a fuel injection pump ,had a ford diesel in it .Looked like this
7867673_large_36227.jpg
AHEMM!!!! me thinks,,your do for a ass beating.......the pump for that, would be 350 tops here..and THAT, was quite a machine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck yeah man, I am much the same I don't have a single tractor that I use for utility work that has a cab. Even took the cab off my skid steer. Now the one my parents farm with that's a different story air ride seat is not in heard of.

That's true, tractors nowadays are big tires, front suspension, cab suspension, air ride seat, finger tip controls, GPS controlled steering, etc.

My tractor, no cab, 16 speeds, 2 lever loader control, spring suspension seat, little tires, no anti-vibe engine mounts.

Biggest issue I have with cab tractors is their enormous glass doors. Only a back window to open to allow outside air in.

I have a stupid question. These days do folks still load bales of hay by hand (obviously not the huge round bales), or it mostly mechanized?

My father used load bales by hand. As a 17 year old he was 5' 9", 165 pounds, & had a 28" waist (according to my mother). And he ate very well--old fashioned Southern homemade cooking--living on a farm. Very little money, but plenty of food.

If they're mennonite or amish, everything is still manual labour.

But that's changing now.

Some hobby farms or dairy farms are still loading small squares by hand into the barn but most have balers with bale throwers to speed up work. (More people unloading at the barn while one operates tractor and baler.)

Many farmers have changed their operations to become more efficient due to lack of a work force.

Like, bring down the old barn, put up a new modern, efficient barn that takes big square bales or round bales, clean, brighter, more room, larger building, climate controlled etc.

hay isn't bad though easier than my job a little itch is better than tobacco poisoning. I would like to put you boys in a tobacco patch cutting and spiking and see who falls down first :eek: :laugh:
10001362_828040343877350_806301316_n.jpg

My best baler story

We were contracting to a prison farm, running a very old convetional square baler behind a ford TW25. This baler had no safetys, everything welded up and strengthened so it wouldnt break cotter pins. It was designed to be behind a 30hp tractor originally, now behind a 150hp tractor, it was somewhat overstretched.
Now someone mentioned to me that when the sex offenders were sent out to pick up bales, tradition was to give the bale density adjusters a few cranks to make the bales heavier and harder work for them to pick up. So im fueling up and give them 4 turns, and then hit the rows.
Right away the baler felt like it was struggling, but I figured 4 cranks wasnt enough to be a real problem so kept on moving. The offenders were struggling when they caught up with the new lot of bales. After a few hundred I stopped to talk to the boss and one of the prison officers drove over. We were watching the offenders when the boss said "man those 4 turns I put on has really made them hard work"
I looked at him "I put 4 turns on it to"
The prison officer grinned "I did to"
We walked up to one of the bales and gave it a kick, it felt near solid. rock solid. and weighed more than a bale should by a long way.
"it shouldnt have been able to even make it that tight" said the boss
we had to cut em, loosen the baler up and rebale em

I would use reverse psycology... There is nothing more miserable than a loose, poorly formed bale! A whole wagon load would be fit punishment for a prisoner!
You got that right, I hate trying to stack with my feet sunken into the bales, its like trying wear bales for shoes.

most well to do farmers want a cab tractor heat and a/c cruise control and gps navigation but around here a tractor with a canopy or a cap is a luxury item.
that might be a reason they didn't want your 12ft cut new holland Bryan.

most well to do farmers want a cab tractor heat and a/c cruise control and gps navigation but around here a tractor with a canopy or a cap is a luxury item.
that might be a reason they didn't want your 12ft cut new holland Bryan.
maybe not,,but I would have,,and there would have been air in the cab, pronto....

95 right now with matching humidity it does suck but i live in it and im use to it.

would have been perfect for what I wanted to do........dang.....

The bad thing of us being so far away ,is the shipping would exceed the value of the machine ,I would have liked someone to put it back in service ,it needed some tlc ,bunch of worn ribber friction things on the mower wheel were falling apart ,it did have a/c and heat in the cab ,i think it was from the early 80's in age ,There may have been more wrong with it ,i got it for scrap from the guy i buy my hay from ,am sure if it was current enough he would still be using it ,most guys around here doing it for a living do not use 30-40 year old equipment ,they may run it 10 years or so and trade it in on new ,for a guy starting out it would be good though .

Back