mathematic formula for choosing a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the mathematical equation is pretty simple. You look in your bank account and see how much cash you've got. Pinch a few dollars off anyone you know, then buy the biggest saw you can get :)

Then repeat until you run out of saws to own. Then you can start buying duplicates of models you already have, or unused versions of favourite saws.

Seriously though, you want a 361.

Shaun

my opinion - go for the 365

it doesn't sound like you'll be cutting all day every day, and I think you said you can deal with the weight. The 346xp is an awesome saw, but power/weight isn't nearly as important if you're not using the saw all the time. Look at how many people have MS290s and love them!

The 365 will deal with bigger wood than a 346xp, and for cheaper than a 372. I don't know about Stihl, but it sounds like the 361/362 might be worth a look if there's a local dealer near you.

I'd hesistate before getting a saw shipped from abroad if you don't know how to work on it yourself - I know several dealers who won't touch imported saws, not sure why but there you go.

Now go buy a saw!

cheers,
Joe

If you're not trying to make money with your saw(s) then there's nothing shameful about a one saw plan. Truth be told, though, I can count on one hand the people I know that own only 1 saw. Personally, for some unknown reason, I have a soft spot for small saws. I digress.

For one saw, I still say a 60cc whatever. The main brands' offerings in 60cc saws are quite competent and can comfortably be used to fell, limb or buck. The key there is if you're willing to take more time by using one saw than doing a quicker job with saws meant for a specific part of the job. If you want to see the weight savings of a 60cc over a 70cc+ saw, I'd stay away from the 365, IIRC, it's the same as a 372, but with a smaller bore. Good saw, but no weight savings. Either way, I wouldn't likely worry with a 14" bar. A 20" bar is very handy, and a 60cc saw will balance better with an 18"-20" bar.

I'm on the one saw plan so you can add another finger for me. I fully agree about the 60cc class and all you had to say about it. I have a 262xp with a 20" bar and it is great for everything I do - dropping, limbing, bucking. Know that 95% of my trees are less than 24" but I do both softwoods and hardwoods. Also I am not what you would call terribly rugged so weight was important to me especially since I only cut seasonally. Also, I don't do this to make money so if the saw failed, I won't go hungry.

All that being said, I could seriously use another saw! The main issue I have is what to do when your best plans fail miserably and you pinch your bar in the middle of a 24" butt? For me, I have had to get real creative with hydraulic car jacks, come-a-longs, etc. Having another saw would certainly make life easier at those times.

Good luck with your search but like others have said, I believe you are thinking too deeply about this. Talk to others who have them and who will be running it like you. Scour this forum and others and you will find the answers you are searching for.

It's a dogpile...

so why not pile on! I don't know just how mean Transylvanian trees can get for an occasional cutter, but if I could only have one saw, I would probably go with the 346XP. Gosh it's lightweight and powerful! If you regularly cut bigger than 24" wood, reconsider the 1-saw plan.
:deadhorse:
All in all, I would say you can get !!! A WHOLE LOT !!! done with a nice, light MS250, and certainly with a 346XP. Chainsaws become more enjoyable and less expensive when you start working on them yourself ... thus you'll be able to divert the savings plus any other money you can scrounge together to buy more saws, because you'll have caught the CAD bug within moments of your first carb rebuild/retuning. Don't forget a nice sharpening rig...
Then, like me, you'll be an absolute expert*, have an opinion on chainsaw-related topics, develop a brand loyalty and scoff in the general direction of others while they operate or wrench their saws in ways you deem inappropriate!

*by "expert", one may presume the author meant "just another officious idiot with an expensive hobby" :cheers:

I cut firewood for my personal use only. i use my 361 for 80% of my cutting. Love it. next is my 50cc saw for limbing and small bucking. and finally my 660 gets used for the last bucking of the big stuff of which normally my 361 could easily handle, but do because i can. if back to one saw... guess id have to rely on just my 361. because its not too heavy when wearing a 20" and will cut pretty much the biggest wood around the midwest wearing my 32". will it do limbing or large bucking very well??? nope but it can and does do anything that i have to do. in conclusion, go buy a good 60cc saw of what ever quality brand that has good dealer support the closest. then do good maintenance, run quality fuel/oil, and keep your chains sharp and your new purchase of whatever quality saw will more than likely last a lifetime.

my .02

Last edited:
you guys make a point
lack of experience sucks but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

All I have run was that Chinese saw that they say has 52 cc. it was kinda ok to me, but when oiler failed and I took the Husky 340, that had 40 cc, the latter felt somewhat stronger. wich makes me go back and wonder about the power of the first.
anyways as many of you said, I can`t go wrong with any of those pro models.

I was 99% on 346 but then someone said that he uses 346 but for bucking turns to 359
hmmmmm. It seemed to me that only 0.2 hp can`t be that much of a difference. and yet, 346 seems to be an excellent saw, somewhat lesser saw for bucking.

and I think bucking will be the main job for me.

there are a few areas in the city, where peoples moved from the village 30-40 years ago, populated with old peoples, my grandmother included and my parents (they are only 53); in those areas heating in winter is with methane gas but lots don`t have it. they use firewoods and a while back I was asked to buck some. for bucking 10 square meters, you get payed 50$.
so I have 2x10 sq m for my family/ year and maybe few neighbors.

that is why I turned to 365 lately. still not sure, but in the new light, looks nice.

what I would really like is to make some money and spend it on more saws. this way, the hobby is self sponsored. sweet, huh?

I apologize for being such a nag but I just had to squeeze everything out of you.
anything you have said, helped me in ways you can`t imagine.
and even if I get now the 365 (372 is almost 200$ more expensive and not sure it is worth it for bucking) next in line is an 346 XP. I really want that saw BADLY !!!
but for now, I`ll go with the working one, then the fun oneS

maybe after few months of feeling the power, I will have a better grasp of reality and better understand your words and put to better use your wisdom.

now don`t get cocky ! you are ok guys, but I wouldn`t take you home with me.

you guys make a point
lack of experience sucks but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

All I have run was that Chinese saw that they say has 52 cc. it was kinda ok to me, but when oiler failed and I took the Husky 340, that had 40 cc, the latter felt somewhat stronger. wich makes me go back and wonder about the power of the first.
anyways as many of you said, I can`t go wrong with any of those pro models.

I was 99% on 346 but then someone said that he uses 346 but for bucking turns to 359
hmmmmm. It seemed to me that only 0.2 hp can`t be that much of a difference. and yet, 346 seems to be an excellent saw, somewhat lesser saw for bucking.

and I think bucking will be the main job for me.

there are a few areas in the city, where peoples moved from the village 30-40 years ago, populated with old peoples, my grandmother included and my parents (they are only 53); in those areas heating in winter is with methane gas but lots don`t have it. they use firewoods and a while back I was asked to buck some. for bucking 10 square meters, you get payed 50$.
so I have 2x10 sq m for my family/ year and maybe few neighbors.

that is why I turned to 365 lately. still not sure, but in the new light, looks nice.

what I would really like is to make some money and spend it on more saws. this way, the hobby is self sponsored. sweet, huh?

I apologize for being such a nag but I just had to squeeze everything out of you.
anything you have said, helped me in ways you can`t imagine.
and even if I get now the 365 (372 is almost 200$ more expensive and not sure it is worth it for bucking) next in line is an 346 XP. I really want that saw BADLY !!!
but for now, I`ll go with the working one, then the fun oneS

maybe after few months of feeling the power, I will have a better grasp of reality and better understand your words and put to better use your wisdom.

now don`t get cocky ! you are ok guys, but I wouldn`t take you home with me.
Now you are making some sense. The 365 is a very good saw and a very good compromise, in price, size, power. Make money with it and buy more saws, YES!

You keep bringing up bucking and the 346xp. 85% of what I do is bucking and for 9 years, all I used was a 346xp. It's a fine bucker :) It will make your other two saws seem like very under powered toys! But like said, a larger saw is a bit better in larger wood. My 357 is better in wood over 20" but most of what I cut in under 20". And I cut a lot of wood!

Now, please go buy a saw :greenchainsaw:

mostly bucking or what?

So, if you're gonna keep posting on this, do you go into the woods and fell trees and use the entire tree OR do you have logs only OR will you do both OR something else. What size range exactly, and how often or what percentages of what size, in case you have to have "big" with some regularity? I think, based on the range of responses, some of us would have to change our recommendations if we knew exactly what you'll be doing 90% of the time. If you're going to be so detailed about your selection of saws, it seems you'll need to be more detailed in relaying your requirements to take full advantage of the experienced people who've replied. Of course, if you're truly looking for an all purpose saw, go with the consensus and get a 60CC name brand saw you can afford w/ a 20" bar and be done. Doubtful any of them will let you down. I just keep getting the idea that you *really* want a truly all purpose saw (medium to small/light) that will perform best at bucking midsize wood (not small/light), and this isn't really gonna happen for you.

Back