Max flo vs. stihl hd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20140906_121918.jpg I vote max flow..they both breathe well but on the stihl saws without " air injection " the filters pack so fast its almost a joke..depends on your use ..i know the HD2s supposedly still breathe well when they start packin up i personally just dont care for it....weather permitting i run the max flow without the cover anyway , function or fashion ? ..your choice

View attachment 372136 I vote max flow..they both breathe well but on the stihl saws without " air injection " the filters pack so fast its almost a joke..depends on your use ..i know the HD2s supposedly still breathe well when they start packin up i personally just dont care for it....weather permitting i run the max flow without the cover anyway , function or fashion ? ..your choice

Is that a marshmallow? o_O

How effective are max flow? HD2s keep absolutely everything bar pure air out - never seen any saw filter on anything as good at keeping the intake as clean. Can you say the same for a max flow?

The thing I need the air filter back plate and everything else for the 066 I'm building. The max flows on Ebay are 69.99 and the HD setup are 85. So cost wise that is why I was wondering

I have a hd1 on one of my 044's stock on the other and the 066 is in the process. Then I have a 064 that I'm building next that needs the same so that's why I was wondering.

well I just retro fitted the HD2 set up on my 064. After a bit of research it seemed the max flow doesn't keep as much stuff out. I got a back plate for about US$20, a rear cover for another US$20 and the filter for AU$40, so pretty much what you've found. It just seems to me the HD2 is the superior filter when it comes to keeping unwanted particles out... If you have a problem with it clogging maybe carry a spare

Did a dyno run a while back on it and the hd2 performed just like the max flow. I fully agree that the max flow can run longer before cleaning. The pleats on the hd2 filters plug up quickly. I recently started running outerwears prefilters over top of my hd2's and I love that set up. The outerwears are slick and sawdust dose not stick to them. The sawdust will not collect on the outerwears giving it a much longer service life.

Did a dyno run a while back on it and the hd2 performed just like the max flow. I fully agree that the max flow can run longer before cleaning. The pleats on the hd2 filters plug up quickly. I recently started running outerwears prefilters over top of my hd2's and I love that set up. The outerwears are slick and sawdust dose not stick to them. The sawdust will not collect on the outerwears giving it a much longer service life.

If they work well im gonna try them ..i bought some a while back and havent used them yet this season , if they do as they say i probably wouldnt run a max-flow anymore

For firewood, there is no reason to use a Maxflo.

I had one on my 460 and I went back to the HD. Plus, when it's time to replace filters if your anything like me and forget to order one. A Stihl dealer is usually right around the corner...

Chad, is the outerwear prefilter a Stihl item? I did not like the felt pre filters my dealer had, and I stopped using them.

Also, unfortunately, there is a wide range that dealers may charge for HD-2 filters (which are different than HD filters). For the 044/440 I have heard prices of less than $40 to over $60, so beware!

Back