Max flo vs. stihl hd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I need the air filter back plate and everything else for the 066 I'm building. The max flows on Ebay are 69.99 and the HD setup are 85. So cost wise that is why I was wondering
The max flow kit can be bought for around $50 from a couple places. The HD 2 is any where from $38-55 in my area. I can buy the whole setup for the same price as one filter and have 2 filters to swap out with.

Outerwears makes the profilers specifically for the stihl saws, i bought some for the hd2's but they still pack with fines just as quick if ya ask me.

I also think that maxflo keep more out than the hd2, I see zero particles on my back plate when I pull the filter, I cannot say the same for either of the hd's.

Performance wise, all I know is I had to fatten it up on the low side so my chain wouldn't spin after installing the maxflo.

Outerwears makes the profilers specifically for the stihl saws, i bought some for the hd2's but they still pack with fines just as quick if ya ask me.

I also think that maxflo keep more out than the hd2, I see zero particles on my back plate when I pull the filter, I cannot say the same for either of the hd's.

Performance wise, all I know is I had to fatten it up on the low side so my chain wouldn't spin after installing the maxflo.

I agree , the saws ive run max flows on dont seem to pass really anything at all , i cut a ton of dead ash this summer with an HD2 and between the dust from the machines around me and as dusty as dead ash is to begin with combined with the humidity that HD2 was packed and was not easy to clean at all , i scraped it out with a carb screwdriver..i bought some outerwears but havent put alot of time on them yet

Milling with a cover on and HD 2 sucks. After 3 or 4 cuts it's packed up pretty good.

I paid $50 for the Max Flo delivered to my door. Dealer wanted $89 + tax for the HD2. I was unaware of the aesthetic "issue". And I'll admit, a part of me was/is happy to support quality aftermarket parts for Stihl. Wish there were more. I have a hard time justifying paying more for a chainsaw air filter than my truck (even a K & N).

Chad, is the outerwear prefilter a Stihl item? I did not like the felt pre filters my dealer had, and I stopped using them.

Also, unfortunately, there is a wide range that dealers may charge for HD-2 filters (which are different than HD filters). For the 044/440 I have heard prices of less than $40 to over $60, so beware!
and they shouldn't be over $25

Back