max rpm for MS360 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawfan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does any one happen to know the max rpm for a ms360 stihl. I have a tach. and want to tune it but cant get in touch with stihl on the weekends. Thanks

p.s. it is not in my owners manual

Rich is right on. It is the rpm in the cut that matters. Then be concerned about not exceeding a max no load rpm.

Said another way, you could achieve 13,500 no load with a carb setting that might be lousy in the cut.

The concept of what Tony and Rich are stating is exactly right. What isn`t right is the max rpm. It`s 13,000, right out of the Stihl workshop manual.

You should have asked me first because I never stretch the truth, even in fun, and I`m always right. :D

Russ

Russ, that was a rather Gypoish-sounding reply.  Are you sure you're you?

Originally posted by jokers
The concept of what Tony and Rich are stating is exactly right. What isn`t right is the max rpm. It`s 13,000, right out of the Stihl workshop manual.

The 036 that I owned was from around '94 or '95, pre EPA. I thought I remember seeing the RPM at 13,500 in the owners manual.

For example:

My Shindaiwa 757 lists the max RPM at 13,000. Having set the while cutting, the saw cuts best at 12,000 RPM. AT this speed the saw has incredible low-end!

Thanks guys

Thanks guys I went with 13,000 just to be safe. But didn't even come close to exceeding it when I adjusted it. Also those little limiting tabs on the mixture screws will get in the way this winter when its -20 is it ok to cut those off. Thanks

Tabs

Yes, if those tabs fall off accidentally, the saw will make too much pollution and cause all sorts of problems. I inspect mine every day just to make sure I am comfortable with things. I am glad the government finally stepped in and did something about the air pollution problems evidently caused to a large extent by chainsaws. I swear I don't know how life would be in this country without the great wisdom and foresight of our legislators.

I repaired a lean seized 036 with one of Jeff S after market repair kits. The exhaust side of the piston was fused. While tuning I discovered the high adjust cap would turn, but the actual screw did not turn at all. I removed the caps completely and they seem ok so far. Somewhat of a pita to turn while running though as mentioned previously.

limiter caps

I am not planning on taking the entire cap off the adjustment screw. Just the tab sticking off the side of it. Also when its -20 outside and I ritchen it up it wouldn't be putting out any more pollution than it is now at 65 degrees. Is it really illegal to take the tabs off for especially for personal firewood use Hmmm? But I think I cought the sarcasim in a couple of the posts.;) Thanks.

Rumour has it that removing the limiter caps from Stihl carbs can have terrible consequences-Hans Blix may move into your spare bedroom and complain every day about your failure to show him all of your limiter caps.
They come right off of other brands. If you should lose them the saw will still run fine. You can , however, slip them back on after adjusting things for best performance. If you are carefull you can slip them on in such a way that they 'lock up' at the ideal adjustment for your home altitude. If the saw gets out of adjustment then just open back up to the stops.:D

Sawfan,

The shop guy where I trade back home told me that if a saw which is supposed to have limiter caps comes in without them, or if they've been defeated, he's legally bound to set the saw to specs and install new limiters.  I guess that would be up to and including a new carb if the limiting system were hacked way up.  I forget the dollar figure he gave me for the fine he could be liable for, but I think it was 5 grand for himself and 10 for the shop, or something.

I looked it up in a quick fashion one day and found this <a href="http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/f98025a.pdf">http<tt></tt>://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/f98025a.pdf</a> (58,938 bytes) document.&nbsp; It's a typical government factoid sheet which is totally lacking in any reference to the actual regulations it purports to be explaining.&nbsp; It contains in part:<blockquote>What should I do if a unit comes in for repair that has
evidence of tampering?

EPA encourages repair technicians to restore a tampered engine to its original certified configuration.&nbsp; However, repair technicians are not required to restore tampered products to their originally certified and functioning configuration, unless the repair is to the tampered system.&nbsp; In such a case, the repair technician should restore the system to a certified and properly functioning condition.&nbsp; Basically, if a repair facility completes, assists, or participates in any way to tampering begun by someone else, they may be subject to civil penalties.&nbsp; In order to protect yourself and your repair facility, you should always document pre-existing tampering in writing on the service order.&nbsp; You are not required to notify EPA about the noncompliance, but you can help raise customer awareness by informing your customers that tampering is illegal and that it may reduce the life span and performance of the engine.</blockquote>It would <i>appear</i> as though the system employed on my Stihl saws allows for proper function (position-holding) without the flags on the caps.

Glen

A blessing

Ain't it a blessing to have a government that is so concerned about the lifespan and high performance of my saws? It is nice to know someone is looking out for the little guy. I am gonna go out right now and make sure my caps are in place. I would hate to think what kind of a world it would be were it legal to grind off limit tabs and open up mufflers. Saws would probably run really poorly and you could hardly breathe the air within a 100 foot radius. It least the saw would not last very long. God Bless the EPA!

great!

Isn't it great how one comment on here gets so much attention!

Actualy, there are no springs on the screws under the caps, so I wondered if the wedge effect on the threads works. After all, I cannot legally run a saw that way.:D

EPA

It makes me wonder why the EPA hasn't forced the agriculture department or forest service to genetically alter trees to limit termite flatulation output, a major greenhouse gas problem in the wooded areas. We would then need the DHHS's department of research integrity to tell us if the science behind it is accually scientific research or make believe. This could be a make work boondoggle and you could get your saw tuned to cut while they argue over the termite gas.

Latest posts

Back