• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Maybe old McCulloch saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calamari

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was given what may be an old MAC saw by a friend but it doesn't have any decals left on it to tell me what model it is. It hadn't run in over 10 years but luckily the previous owner had drained the gas. My friend put fresh in and it started right up with what seems to be good power although it smokes. I don't know what the mix was in the gas my315D9410-76F3-423A-8D85-80EA93CDBB41.jpeg friend put in so don't know if that is contributing to the smoke or if it's bad rings or just residual oil in the saw. The thumb oiler works great.
I tried to get two pictures of the saw but only one will transfer to my computer. Any idea what it is and what it's worth?
Thanks

Thanks for the reply and It sure looks like you're right as far as the model being a 610. I watched some videos of them being used and was surprised that they all seemed to smoke a lot. Maybe because of the original recommendation of a very rich oil mix.
Thanks again.

If it's only worth $70 to $100 the freight alone from California will put it out of reach to sell. I may end up just keeping it as a back up because it's easy to start and runs fine except for the (cough) smoke. It doesn't have that Mac 10 ringing exhaust note that was the start of my hearing loss when I ran some of those in the distant past so that's a plus.

Update on the saw. Like a lot of people i didn't realize you didn't have to take the chain brake apart to remove the bar and chain. Now, even after looking at all the You Tube videos about how to get the spring back onto the hook that makes it work, I can't do it. I'm just going to run it w/o the brake. I learned on saws that didn't have them and can still count to 11.
I cleaned what looked like several decades of crap out of the saw, cleaned the spark arrestor and exhaust port, bought a new rim sprocket, air filter and spark plug and have been using it to buck up a big dry oak I was given. The chain was abused with even one cutter torn off. I sharpened it and have been falling in love with the saw. It's got an amazing amount of grunt and has cut like crazy. The weight isn't an issue when you're cutting, only when you're carrying it and that's not bad. I'm glad I didn't just throw it away and recommend that anybody who gets their hands on a McCulloch 610, try it. Good saw. DO NOT TAKE THE CHAIN BRAKE APART UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

I got three of them (610) and one 650 they are the cheapest med.sized saws out there, cause some do not like them for what ever reason. I happen to like them, one reason I have never heard anyone say is , they are wide and if running and you put them on the ground they do not turn over, yeah I like that, go figure? manual oiler also with automatic one , another feature that I like , you can oil up the bar after a chain change, yeah I like that too. damn I must be nuts!

Back