McCulloch 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There is a McCulloch 10-10 for sale locally, the guy wants 80$ for it. I checked mike acres site and it looks like a ProMac 10-10. I don't need another saw but i figure what the heck, anyone own one and what do you think of the saw?
0115050104020103032008090699655a6d8.jpg

I think the pro macs were the later versions of this saw. I have an early 10-10A and it is one of the most powerful saws in this size segment I have ever used. It is loud and vibey (though the pro macs had anti vibe if i'm not mistaken) but the power is worth it to me. I have worked on some later models and they are a well made saw. Some people say that the later models don't seem to have the a$$ that the earlier ones had and this has been my experience too but I may have had a bad example of a later one. I would say go get it.

There is a McCulloch 10-10 for sale locally, the guy wants 80$ for it. I checked mike acres site and it looks like a ProMac 10-10. I don't need another saw but i figure what the heck, anyone own one and what do you think of the saw?

Saw looks clean. $80 is on the high side. A good price is $40, I'd shoot hard for $60.........

10-10's are probably the most available of all the "vintage" Macs.

Remember, there are 10-10, 10-10A, Super, Pro, Pro Mac, and probably more iterations of the 10-10.

Is the muffler covered with a side cover or is the muffler exposed?

Casey

I forgot to mention that I recently sold another early 10-10A to a buddy of mine that does excavating deck removals and some clearing. He needed a saw in a hurry after his company's 262 husky was stolen and that 10-10 was the only one close to that size that I was willing to part with. So now he says he doesn't want to get a new saw cause he likes that 10-10 better that the 262. He claims that though the 10-10 does not have the speed in the smaller stuff that they use it for that it is much stronger in bigger stuff and in rough conditions. Also he says that it is more reliable than the 262 that he had. Maybe his 262 was not in the best shape, I don't know, but still that is a pretty nice endorsment. This saw is getting used 4 or 5 days a week for hours at a time in case you were wondering.

I think the pro macs were the later versions of this saw. I have an early 10-10A and it is one of the most powerful saws in this size segment I have ever used. It is loud and vibey (though the pro macs had anti vibe if i'm not mistaken) but the power is worth it to me. I have worked on some later models and they are a well made saw. Some people say that the later models don't seem to have the a$$ that the earlier ones had and this has been my experience too but I may have had a bad example of a later one. I would say go get it.

There is the Pro Mac 10-10 from the late 70's-early 80's, and then there is the Pro Mac 10-10S from about the mid 80's-late 90's. I think at some point the S sub-model was made overseas?........(beginning late 80's???)

Although there are probably exceptions, I think the quality control of the Mac's began to fall off by the early-mid 80's.

Casey

I forgot to mention that I recently sold another early 10-10A to a buddy of mine that does excavating deck removals and some clearing. He needed a saw in a hurry after his company's 262 husky was stolen and that 10-10 was the only one close to that size that I was willing to part with. So now he says he doesn't want to get a new saw cause he likes that 10-10 better that the 262. He claims that though the 10-10 does not have the speed in the smaller stuff that they use it for that it is much stronger in bigger stuff and in rough conditions. Also he says that it is more reliable than the 262 that he had. Maybe his 262 was not in the best shape, I don't know, but still that is a pretty nice endorsment. This saw is getting used 4 or 5 days a week for hours at a time in case you were wondering.

Although the new saws have their merits, the older Macs have demonstrated to me there is no substitute for a wide powerband and torque.......:D

Casey

I have 2 10-10 A's and a 262 and that there story don't add up to my experiances, but OK.

The 10-10A is a favorite saw of mine but I can't compare it to a 262XP. Heck I can't compare it to my 306A.

I have 2 10-10 A's and a 262 and that there story don't add up to my experiances, but OK.

The 10-10A is a favorite saw of mine but I can't compare it to a 262XP. Heck I can't compare it to my 306A.

Like I said maybe his 262 was not in good shape. This a construction guy not a saw guy so maybe he didn't take good care of it. I have run my 10-10 against a 306 poulan and the 10-10 was stronger in my in instance. But there are always variables.

Like I said maybe his 262 was not in good shape. This a construction guy not a saw guy so maybe he didn't take good care of it. I have run my 10-10 against a 306 poulan and the 10-10 was stronger in my in instance. But there are always variables.

The 10-10A is just as fast as the 306 if both have 16" bars. But 20" or longer and the games over.

Just my 2 cents and I have 2 of each...

LOL, Not looking to win just relating hands on experiances. Something I that seems rare around here sometimes.:dizzy:[/QUOT

I agree, that is what I try to do too. Sometimes people base opinions on reputation or hersay rather than the all important hands experience.

If it has good compression and the paint is good. I would think it would be worth that. A saw like that will bring anywhere from 75.00$ to 150.00$ on Ebay usually. It would depend why you are buying it. If you need it to use, or as a collector then its a pretty good deal, but if your are going to hawk it on Ebay like I would do then it wouldn't be such a money making venture. They were a well built popular saw that Mac was known for. Easy to work on. I always considered the 10-10- to Mac was as what the SuperXL 12 was to Homelite.

I run a 2-10, 10-10 Automatic and a Pro Mac 10-10. The 2 earlier models are a little tougher but not by much. They do seem strong for their size compared to similar saws in the class. They are also louder and vibrate more than others in this class, which was already mentioned. However, I like loud and don't mind the vibration all that much.

I'll post some more pics of my flea market 10-10 tomorrow. I have never owned or worked on a Mac before and I can't beleive how well made and easy to work on they are. Everything under the top cover is protected by a BIG air filter, and the carb layout is nice and simple. Does impulse come right off the crankcase on a 10-10, cuz I cant find a pulse line on it anywhere.

I hope to get it running later this week, and a piece of pipe insulation zip-tied over the handle should help with the vibes.

. Does impulse come right off the crankcase on a 10-10, cuz I cant find a pulse line on it anywhere.

Yup, once you take that carb off you will see the impulse channel.

I'll post some more pics of my flea market 10-10 tomorrow. I have never owned or worked on a Mac before and I can't beleive how well made and easy to work on they are. Everything under the top cover is protected by a BIG air filter, and the carb layout is nice and simple. Does impulse come right off the crankcase on a 10-10, cuz I cant find a pulse line on it anywhere.

I hope to get it running later this week, and a piece of pipe insulation zip-tied over the handle should help with the vibes.

I'm looking forward to the pipe insulation on the handle.
Have you thought about doing that to each of your fingers......Anti vibe gloves:monkey: :)

I tried in fact to buy another 10-10A last week at a flea market. Looked good and the seller said it ran, but it only had about a 12" bar on it???

He wanted top dollar for it, but brought it without any fuel in it to hear it run. Made him a lowball offer that got refused.

Wife was along and didn't want to have to expalain to her why I needed 3 of them anyway. :)

I'm looking forward to the pipe insulation on the handle.
Have you thought about doing that to each of your fingers......Anti vibe gloves:monkey: :)

The "Mechanix" brand of gloves come in a "Impact" style of glove for mechanics--you can usually find them at Autozone.

I usually wear some version of glove when cutting anyway, but if I'm running one of my Macs with no AV, the impact gloves are nice........

Casey

Back