McCulloch 250 Help E-Bay Special Wasn't So Special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might try Calvin...

Well the Stihl Stealership didn't have what I needed to convert to 3/8. They had a 8 tooth spur sprocket in 3/8 that would work with my existing clutch but the inner diameter is 13 mm with a needle bearing, 15 mm without the needle bearing which is what I need. I don't think the spur gear would last very long without the bearing or bushing in place. Would it if I kept the crankshaft greased?

They had a 20" oregon pro-lite bar that looks like it would mate up pretty damn good.

I guess I'll try to find a bushing online and drill out the sprocket from the dealership. Or if mfgsupply.com emails me back, I asked them what their 8 tooth 3/8 spur sprocket dimensions were to see if my clutch will fit and what size their bushing is.

Thanks,
Aaron

He has alot of NOS Mcc parts.... CM small engines on here in the sponser page..

Welcome to yellow fever! Since no one's said it, I'll do so. Call Discount Marine right here in MI for the sprocket you need. 906-466-2180.

Well the Stihl Stealership didn't have what I needed to convert to 3/8. They had a 8 tooth spur sprocket in 3/8 that would work with my existing clutch but the inner diameter is 13 mm with a needle bearing, 15 mm without the needle bearing which is what I need. I don't think the spur gear would last very long without the bearing or bushing in place. Would it if I kept the crankshaft greased?

They had a 20" oregon pro-lite bar that looks like it would mate up pretty damn good.

I guess I'll try to find a bushing online and drill out the sprocket from the dealership. Or if mfgsupply.com emails me back, I asked them what their 8 tooth 3/8 spur sprocket dimensions were to see if my clutch will fit and what size their bushing is.

Thanks,
Aaron

don't run it with out a bushing/bearing it will tear up the crankshaft,,,

if you want a 3/8 bar to try, baileys has one in teh christmas sale catalog for $25.00,,, it will fit big husky mounts, and will be a closer fit than the stihl, as far as i can figure.... i'll bet its cheaper too!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats the one i was going to try and mod for my 250, but i think i'll just get an old 404 b/c, and try it before i switch it over to 3/8, and buy a new b/c.......

don't run it with out a bushing/bearing it will tear up the crankshaft,,,

if you want a 3/8 bar to try, baileys has one in teh christmas sale catalog for $25.00,,, it will fit big husky mounts, and will be a closer fit than the stihl, as far as i can figure.... i'll bet its cheaper too!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats the one i was going to try and mod for my 250, but i think i'll just get an old 404 b/c, and try it before i switch it over to 3/8, and buy a new b/c.......

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured they put a bushing/bearing there for a reason. I'm assuming the metal in the sprocket isn't soft enough like a bushing would be and therefore wear the crankshaft down.

You might wanna try this...

Your wantin a saw for the winter,,and winter is almost here so your rushed.....I'm not tryin to sound like a a**hole,,,and I dont know how much you have in the 250 as of now,,but lets step back and take sometime...
Look on c/l or fleabay for a cheap 10 series saw...Mcc made millions of em,,and you can find a nice one if you look for under a hundred bucks...You can save up and relax and rebuild the 250 intime,,but dont rush it,,you'll be sorry if you do....Stash it back,,,when you have spare time work on it then...Parts will come,,just keep looking but sometimes it just cant happen now....Just take your time,,and dont get frustrated....

Stipes you hit the nail on the head with that response. After searching and searching for stuff today I'm realizing its going to take a little time to get this saw up and running the way I want it to. I'm not very patient but I'm going to have to be if I want the right items on this saw.

Thanks,
Aaron

Your wantin a saw for the winter,,and winter is almost here so your rushed.....I'm not tryin to sound like a a**hole,,,and I dont know how much you have in the 250 as of now,,but lets step back and take sometime...
Look on c/l or fleabay for a cheap 10 series saw...Mcc made millions of em,,and you can find a nice one if you look for under a hundred bucks...You can save up and relax and rebuild the 250 intime,,but dont rush it,,you'll be sorry if you do....Stash it back,,,when you have spare time work on it then...Parts will come,,just keep looking but sometimes it just cant happen now....Just take your time,,and dont get frustrated....

Congrats on your 250!! I will second Stipes on that. I have no patience at all, and that has caused me more headaches and problems then I care to tell. Most problems I have run into is from trying to rush it. Good luck on getting it running.

Stipes - There were a number of 82 cc saws including the Super Pro 80, SP81, SP81E, Pro Mac 805, PM 850, PM 800, and PM8200. That sequence pretty well represents the chronological order as well. According to a McCulloch service bulletin I read, the PM800 was supposed to be faster and stronger than the 805 or 850 that came before it.

All of the 80 cc class saws had pretty good anti-vibe systems.

I have a SP60 and 7-10 that are both pretty good runners. The 7-10 is a blast to cut with but the vibrations are noticeable. The SP 60 with the rubber mounted engine is much smoother to operate, but I kind of like the solid feel of the 7-10.

On day while cutting my 036 Stihl ran out of fuel so I picked up the 7-10 to keep going. If I were to be completely honest about it, the 036 was probably faster in the smaller stuff, certainly much less noise, and so much less vibration I could hardly believe the difference.

None the less, when I have a chance I like to run the McCullochs.

Mark

Well I went to the parents house this evening for dinner and to check and see if I could rob a 3/8 sprocket off of a 10-10 or a 610. They are different. The crankshaft is much smaller on those saws versus my 250.
Guess I'm back to looking online again.

Thanks,
AA

Aaron, Look at cheapchainsawparts on e-bay, he is your best best at a bargain priced clutch drum with the spline for a rim type sprocket. As I mentioned, all of the large frame McCullochs use the same drum with a .625" shaft diameter.

Mark

Does this mean my crankshaft is .625" diameter? So I need a 5/8" bushing inserted into the drum? Is this correct?

Thanks,
Aaron

I wish I knew what size bearing..

Does this mean my crankshaft is .625" diameter? So I need a 5/8" bushing inserted into the drum? Is this correct?

Thanks,
Aaron

You have to have a roller bearing to fit clutch drum and shaft...I wish I can help you on this,,but I dont know the specs. on that old,,type of Mcc...

Thanks,
Aaron

Yeah, you have to take up the slack. .625 is 5/8 if I did the math right. I really think they are saying you should look for a drum that fits the .625 rather than shim it up.

Last edited:
Benzie !

Hey Aaron, no help here w/ your saw project--sounds like you got that covered!

I get to spend a good part of the summer in Benzie (my wife and kids and I help manage/host at a little resort near Lake Ann.) Love it up there! Wish I could cut my firewood up there and bring it back to New Mexico...

You have to have a roller bearing to fit clutch drum and shaft...I wish I can help you on this,,but I dont know the specs. on that old,,type of Mcc...

Both of my 250's came with a brass bushing or sleeve that is press fit inside the drum and goes onto the crankshaft.

Is that setup wrong? I noticed the 610 of my fathers had a different setup with a needle roller bearing that isn't press fit. I better stop typing im just going to confuse myself.

Why do I have to use a roller bearing? Don't the brass bushings work as well albeit not as well maybe but they still work?

Thanks,
Aaron

PM me your address, pay shipping and I will send the ####ing thing to you.

3/8" or .404 rim spocket.

RandyMac thanks for the offer. I think I have found a bushing at the hardware store with the correct inner diameter that I need to slide onto my crankshaft(.625"). If I can modify the length and outer diameter to fit inside the 3/8 rim sprocket off of a mcculloch 610 I am going to do that.

If I can't get it to work I will definitely take you up on your offer. BUT I will pay for the parts AND shipping. You don't have to give me anything. I'll let you know this evening.

Thanks so so so so so so much for the offer,
Aaron

You guys are all so great and helpful, I really do appreciate you helping out the newbie(me)! :cheers:

Aaron, most of the modern saws have the needle bearings rather than the brass bushing, the bearings last longer and don't require such frequent lubrication. Once the bushing wears a bit they tend to wobble and grab and don't let the chain stop moving. I run drums with the brass bushing on saws that I use only infrequently.

I think you will find that the clutch itself for the 250 is different (smaller diameter and wider) than the one for the 610, you really need the match that drum to the clutch as well as making your choice of sprockets.

Either take Randy's offer, or look at e-bay and find one that is adverised to fit on the the larger McCulloch saws.

Mark

I would be just happy to know that another 250 is out there, inflicting sonic damage upon the earth. I have a used clutch drum set up for rim sprockets, do you want the four shoe clutch?

Back