McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,I've got a 2-10 that's driving me crazy.It's got spark with a chip in it,it's got 130-135 lbs.compression,I put a new plug in it & I still can't get it to pop.Any ideas?
Ed

Crank seals

Is any one else having trouble with the site? Sense the last upgrade I have had nothing but trouble accessing this site. It's like they changed servers and the new server has a throughput of 9600 baud. If you can get logged in it takes 10 mins before you can access anything and God help you if you try and reply to someone asking for help.
I like participating and helping others and receiving help from others but this is getting rather frustrating and more trouble than it's worth.

Brian

Would it not make sense for them or they or the powers at be to put out an explanation/apology for whats happening. Why keep everybody grumpy about it i know I'd be a little more understanding of the situation if i new what was going on

Bad crank seals are causing the 2-10 to not fire up?How difficult is it to change them?
Ed

Well have you dropped a tid bit of gas down its throat and pop pop? It can be easy to flood also if the crank seals are absolutely toast it won't make any crank case compression to put that fuel in the chamber. So try it straight down the plug hole n see how it go's. I've never done the seals but search around and youl find the info im sure

Try what Jethro says and see if it will pop. It could be a couple other things. Like not getting pulse to the carb to make the pump work. Could be flooding. Check the spark plug and see if it is wet. If it is wet it will wet fowl the plug and short it out causing it not to fire. If it is dry then it is not getting fuel so check the pulse system and make sure it is getting pulse to the carb. Check the carb and make sure it is good and clean. After setting for a while it can be tough to get it unclogged. or the diaphragm could be set wrong causing the carb to put out too much fuel or not enough to none. Check for vacuum leak on intake system. Make sure that the pulse hole in the intake is clear all the way through to the carb.

Brian

I picked up this saw about 3 mo.ago.I found that whoever put the chip on it did a real crap job.The wire was loose in a crimp on fitting,so I remedied that,but then lost the chip,so I put a new one in that I had here.I just found the old chip today,it was under my workbench behind some stuff.Good thing I dropped a bar nut today.Lol I haven't even bothered to address the carb because I wanted to see if I could get it to fire.I've never had a situation like this before where I had compression,spark,& put fuel either in the carb or the plug hole & not have it pop.If it'd pop,then I'd address the carb.I'm not putting my time & wasting a carb kit to find out it was all for naught.
Ed

I picked up this saw about 3 mo.ago.I found that whoever put the chip on it did a real crap job.The wire was loose in a crimp on fitting,so I remedied that,but then lost the chip,so I put a new one in that I had here.I just found the old chip today,it was under my workbench behind some stuff.Good thing I dropped a bar nut today.Lol I haven't even bothered to address the carb because I wanted to see if I could get it to fire.I've never had a situation like this before where I had compression,spark,& put fuel either in the carb or the plug hole & not have it pop.If it'd pop,then I'd address the carb.I'm not putting my time & wasting a carb kit to find out it was all for naught.
Ed

Ah right are the points still There? Have you got another saw that runs n maybe flog the plug? Many many times a brand new plug will have spark but not fire under compression. I wouldn't say rebuilding the carb isn't a waste of time it will be a good learning experience and then also another thing eliminated.

I have seen those chips fire and then quit and then start firing again. How much fuel are you putting in the cylinder? Take the plug out and blow the plug dry with compressed air. Also stick the nozzle into the spark plug hole and blow it dry. Put a very small amount of fuel in the cylinder and reinstall the plug and see if that might get it to pop. I have also seen in older 2 stroke engines where the carb leaked fuel into the bottom end of the engine and it is full of fuel and the engine will pump it into the cylinder and keep fowling the plug out. Sometimes I will remove the starter and put a socket on the flywheel nut, open the throttle wide open and turn the motor over with a drill. Use the drill to turn the motor over for a little bit with the plug out and throttle wide open and this will lubricate everything and expel the excess fuel. Keep the spark plug out and the throttle held open. That will help clean the bottom end.
I have seen many seals torn because the saw over heated and it stick to the crank, or just from setting the seal can stick and when you first turn it over it will stick to the crank and tare.

Brian

Wise words Brian. I had a battle with the 1st mac i got hold of a tired pm10-10 plug after plug had spark had fuel compression was sad but when i finally got it to allmost sputter and run i realized the carb was just dumping in fuel like mad even with the needles closed. It filled up the muffler haha still haven't messed with that carb yet

Edju, i had a similar situation with a couple saws, both with chips. Had all you did but no pop. Reversed the polarity of the chip and fired off. Tricky thing was that polarity was backwards on them. One was one way one was the other. Just a thought. Simple fix maybe.

Dam waste oil... It's like an inch thick behind the starter what does a greenie say about cutting up trees with waste oil? Haha any way kinda preserves stuff I guess the man I got this off has been known to have a drum of waste oil beside his log pile and just dunk the whole bar in it dont think this had that treatment though it got saved in time. Had to work at him he didn't want to let it go he knew what he had but knows I really love these and have a passion for them.View attachment 685532
The muffler is fairly sad looking but other wise not bad just a tad shabby like back of a ute sorta shabby its got a 24inch hard nose on it would rather a 20 I think
View attachment 685535
Can anyone tell me a Year with this number? It has a pop up decomp valve. Sorry for the stink picture.
View attachment 685536
How many macs is a positive diagnosis of yellow fever? I have 3 pm 10-10s now a 7-10 a pm700 n 800. A mate dropped off a mccinder block that seems to run fine too

Great find Jethro (the 7-10A). I think it's as good a time as any to post a pic of my 3 macs. The 7-10A is awesome I was lucky enough to find one a couple of years ago in Melbourne Victoria.
IMG_2945 copy.JPG

Latest posts

Back