McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about it also. I believe it would have to help it some.
I have bunches of XL-12's. I thought about getting one running well and cut with it and then do a Q-port and cut with it again, just to prove the point to myself.
I could do compression test, check RPM's in the cut and out, time the cuts, etc. All done before and after the Q-port.
With the exception of the 800 and 805 I pictured earlier (and were tested much later), my experience has been the nonQs have about 5 pst more when hand cranked over the Q models.

NonQs 170 to 175 psi. Qs 165 to 170 psi. I IRC

Ron

With the exception of the 800 and 805 I pictured earlier (and were tested much later), my experience has been the nonQs have about 5 pst more when hand cranked over the Q models.

Ron

Its not alot really and when running it's probably nothing.
There's really nothing between them after the mufflers been done

It's pretty tough wood the old gum the bark is very stringy n furry and really saps the power

Ron
Thanks Ron.
That's not much to worry about with a normal use saw. race saws would be different.

View attachment 969946

View attachment 969947

I have one PM800 with the compression release and another with the Q port. I am not sure I could tell the difference while cutting with them, the Q port model pulls over a bit easier when starting but both require a determined pull.

Mark

Correct me if I'm wrong but all side compression release saws are Qports also?

My 82cc project is dead in the water until I get the correct FW side seal.
You may want to consider trying to track down a 67905 bearing and 67906 seal combination which is interchangeable as a set with the 63429/61618 assembly. 600 series saws are a common source as are many of the 10-10s. Mark details it beautifully in the thread below.

https://www.arboristsite.com/posts/7540514/

It would be great if there was an easy to find place where all the seals etc for each model could be listed without people having to search through this thread or ask the same questions every now and then. A separate sticky perhaps?
I know I will be searching or asking myself sometime in the future...

It would be great if there was an easy to find place where all the seals etc for each model could be listed without people having to search through this thread or ask the same questions every now and then. A separate sticky perhaps?
I know I will be searching or asking myself sometime in the future...
I bookmarked them most of the time

View attachment 969946

View attachment 969947

I have one PM800 with the compression release and another with the Q port. I am not sure I could tell the difference while cutting with them, the Q port model pulls over a bit easier when starting but both require a determined pull.

Mark

Mark,

I believe all 800 and later saws are Q port saws. Some have a compression release, and some don't.

Ron

Correct me if I'm wrong but all side compression release saws are Qports also?
In my experience you are correct. The early 800s did not have a compression release. The 8200 didn't either and apparently at least one of the Super 850 didn't. I believe MAC was saving money on the last two - half wrap handle and no DSP. The 800 IPL shows both variants with the only difference that I can detect is the older cylinders weren't drilled.

Ron

Latest posts

Back