McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant see pictures the last couple days for some reason. Kind of disappointing. Gonna check on the computer later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thats good to hear, I feel stupid about posting videos of my chainsaw cutting without my chaps on in half of them , after I teach chainsaw safety class. I think I'll follow your example.
Are you required to have masks to get into the wood lot?
We are not required to wear mask. I am going to even after this epidemic/pandemic passes. I have been thinking about it for a while now. We, or atleast I, breath in a lot of sawdust in a day. Also many times when I am cutting in the wood pile I am cutting things that are up at head level and I will be throwing chips right in my face. Have ate a few chips. But I would never throw chips on Ron at all.

Brian

We are not required to wear mask. I am going to even after this epidemic/pandemic passes. I have been thinking about it for a while now. We, or atleast I, breath in a lot of sawdust in a day. Also many times when I am cutting in the wood pile I am cutting things that are up at head level and I will be throwing chips right in my face. Have ate a few chips. But I would never throw chips on Ron at all.

Brian
Depending on what I'm cutting, I'm actually allergic to certain trees so I have to wear a 5 micron filter or it's medicine time! But thankfully not all trees or stinging bugs or I'd been dead years ago.
I got nailed by yellow jackets a few years ago cutting up an oak.

Thats good to hear, I feel stupid about posting videos of my chainsaw cutting without my chaps on in half of them , after I teach chainsaw safety class. I think I'll follow your example.
Are you required to have masks to get into the wood lot?

No. We are a strange and independent lot. Could probably buck buck naked and no one would say much. Someone must have given the ministry masks as they were handing out folded particle masks today. Nonetheless, I didn’t see anyone but Brian and me wearing masks. I was wearing a mask for two reasons today - out of respect for Brian, I don’t want to give him the virus if I had it, and our allergy season is peaking. Don’t know which species, but in addition to tree pollen, some sawdust really gets with me sometimes. I have considered wearing a mask in the past for that reason but those cup shaped masks irritate my neck. The corona convinced me to put up with the irritation. Though I turned down the offer of free masks today, I found a handful that someone had put in my truck. Think I will give them a try. If they are comfortable I might just start wearing one. I know wearing a mask while mowing can make the difference between a good night sleep and a miserable night trying to sleep.

Ron

Working on my Super 55A. Glanced at the bottom of the block. Says S44-55A and also 180. Is this telling me it's also a 1-80 block. I know they use the same part #, according to one IPL I have, but I didn't expect to see all 3 stamped.

Also, I always thought the S55A and S44A were the same motor, but this is clearly a S44.

IMG_20200426_46266.jpg

Now you've piqued my curiosity a little more on my "mystery saw".The pics I took of it are pointing towards a D44,or a Super 44 which had the external points box as I understand it,yet the bottom of the saw is stamped 1-71,which did not have the external points.
Ed

The 44 is crossed out and the other stamp is the model # S55A
The 180 I’m not sure about, that should be the serial #
I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in on it.

The 44's and the 1-70, 71 and 72 use the same IPL 56777

The 55's and the 1-80, 81 and 81HD use the same IPL 56778

Someone a while back wondered why MAC labelled the 44 as is was pretty much the same as one of the 44's.

His website says. 62814=62813 I just thought the part number just changed when I ordered them.
After researching after I got them they should be .20 oversize but they look a heck of a lot bigger than .20.
I could not find a direct fit for the caber rings but would a 44.7 x 1.2 fit.
The rings I took out are pretty worn and have like .090 end gap.
I put these cabers in her. I Bought them thinking they weren’t a pinned ring but they were.
I filed them to fit and put her back together.
The cylinder was scored a little and I lost my hone so I made one.
The carb was giving me fits so I covered the welch plugs with nail polish and that fixed that problem.
I couldn’t put her together without a little port work. she woke up a little bit.
I also got a Super Gas tank and carb Assy for her. Screw taking the air cover off to tune this thing.
36E4A6AA-04D9-42FB-9886-9363628C3F77.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hey guys if you are pressure testing crankcase seals can you use a cylinder leak down tool? I tried it today at 10psi held the pull rope to keep it from leaking out the exhaust. Is this correct?

A leak down test is really intended to check the condition of the rings. To accurately test the crankcase and seals you need to block the exhaust and intake ports, usually with a rubber gasket to cover the openings, and then see if the crankcase and seals will hold pressure and vacuum. Vacuum is not much consideration on a reed saw since the reeds will open under vacuum.

Mark

Was playing in the trees on the weekend. Took the cp70 and pm81 our. Both ran for a short time then took to flooding the 81 so bad fuel heard boiling inside engine then once cool wet at exhaust. Any tips on how a good run can go south so quick?
Will open up the carbs ASAP but wonder what to look for

Back