McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PTO side bearings and seals are readily available. Flywheel side bearings are usually O.K. and the seal for the 63429 bearing (61618) are current stock so no problem there. Many 10-10 models used a different bearing, 67905, and the seals to go with those (67906) are getting hard to find. There are plenty of 67905 bearings available.

Mark
Thank you for the part #s and the optimism!

You'll probably find the bearings will do another turn or 3. Seals and piston will see your days out if not you kids too:) no joke i haven't done didly to 90 percent of my Mac's except some love some clean fuel and perhaps a carb kit.

Welcome to the site. As mentioned there is. A lot of experience here and guys willing to help. We all started in the same spot. Had a question and asked. Im really interested in that meteor piston from greece. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated of it. I put a lrb piston in a nos block last year from the infamous bob johnson. Its held up fine. The 70cc saws are great machines. Keep us posted on your progress.

I bought a plastic replacement real off eBay for my power Mac 6 put it all back together spring action was good and smooth. I pulled about 10 times to start the saw, and it twisted the center apart on the reel.
Now what?
If you're referring to the recoil pulley in the PM6,most likely you didn't change the metal pawls out on the flywheel.When you put a plastic pulley on you must also put plastic pawls on as well.The metal pawls if left on wiill chew up the plastic pulley in no time.There is a kit that is sold for that purpose.

If you're referring to the recoil pulley in the PM6,most likely you didn't change the metal pawls out on the flywheel.When you put a plastic pulley on you must also put plastic pawls on as well.The metal pawls if left on wiill chew up the plastic pulley in no time.There is a kit that is sold for that purpose.
Who has/sells the kit?

There is also a wider metal starter pawl replacement kit, 94258. On either kit the instructions say to pry the old pawl pins out but I have not had much success in getting the old ones out. If I know a saw is going to be used with the all plastic starter drum I try to find a flywheel with either the plastic or the wide metal pawls.

This style of starter pawl should only be used with the original plastic/metal clutch starter drum.

20220113_091710.jpg

This style starter drum, preferably one that is not cracked or that has been reinforced.

20211029_095109.jpg

These are one type of the wide metal pawls.

IMG_4821.JPG

This is a more common retrofit metal starter pawl for use with the all plastic starter drums.

20220113_091641.jpg

This is a flywheel with the latest plastic starter pawls.

20220113_091554.jpg

Also keep in mind that somewhere along the way McCulloch changed the key and keyway from a standard 1/8" wide to a narrow 1/16" wide. You have to be sure your crankshaft and flywheel agree if you try to swap them around to find the right drum/pawl combination.

20220113_091723.jpg

Mark

Attachments

• 94258 Starter Drum and Pawl Kit.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
I pulled about 10 times to start the saw, and it twisted the center apart on the reel.
Now what?
You may want to consider checking for good spark by using a drill in reverse on the flywheel nut (or forward on the clutch) to spin the saw over while grounding the plug against the cylinder -- (kill switch in the run position, of course).

Western PA has a fine dealer , who has some nos stock of McCulloch chainsaw parts.
Dukes chainsaw salvage. Nice guy.

Just yesterday from Duke I bought 4 of those repro new 125 rubber intake boots as future spares for my 3 125's. Great price & all I hear from other people is the quality & fit is excellent. Had planned on getting them early last month but a 31 day in the hospital thanks to COVID & other BS had me sidetracked.Got home this Tuesday 1/11 finally,have to rest/recover for almost 2 months until I get all my strength back...So no using the saws,cutting/splitting wood,climbing trees for the time being.

I'm just glad to be retired now,even more happy to be alive,it was touch & go at first,expecially with the paramedics on my front porch,my heart literally stopped 3 times,was in the ICU 2 days before moving on to 7th floor where a wonderful team of nurses tended to me for 3 weeks night & day & literally saved my life....

Enough of that interruption,now back to talking about our passion for McCulloch's...... 👍 :rock:

I just got a LRB pm700 replacement piston. It's actually a thick ring 85239 and the dimensions are almost perfect. The rings fit good and they are exactly the same as my original thick rings. Do not use their wrist pin it's to small. The big bearing can be replaced by a pro mac 600 610 650 bearing and seal assembly.

Enough of that interruption,now back to talking about our passion for McCulloch's...... 👍 :rock:
The stuff in the quote from Maintenance Supervisor was actually written by you, correct? If so, I’m sorry to hear about your illness and I hope you recover soon. I just had a touch up surgery for a past problem and I’m not allowed to start saws for a few weeks, but yesterday the doc finally told me if someone else starts them I can run them. Nurses can be real life-savers and I’m glad that it sounds like your stay wasn’t too terrible, I’ll be praying for a swift recovery.

The stuff in the quote from Maintenance Supervisor was actually written by you, correct? If so, I’m sorry to hear about your illness and I hope you recover soon. I just had a touch up surgery for a past problem and I’m not allowed to start saws for a few weeks, but yesterday the doc finally told me if someone else starts them I can run them. Nurses can be real life-savers and I’m glad that it sounds like your stay wasn’t too terrible, I’ll be praying for a swift recovery.

Yeah I wrote that reply but messed up tried to correct my mistake with the edit button,think I hit Quote instead of Reply originally,dunno

There is also a wider metal starter pawl replacement kit, 94258. On either kit the instructions say to pry the old pawl pins out but I have not had much success in getting the old ones out. If I know a saw is going to be used with the all plastic starter drum I try to find a flywheel with either the plastic or the wide metal pawls.

This style of starter pawl should only be used with the original plastic/metal clutch starter drum.

View attachment 955975

This style starter drum, preferably one that is not cracked or that has been reinforced.

View attachment 955976

These are one type of the wide metal pawls.

View attachment 955974

This is a more common retrofit metal starter pawl for use with the all plastic starter drums.

View attachment 955977

This is a flywheel with the latest plastic starter pawls.

View attachment 955978

Also keep in mind that somewhere along the way McCulloch changed the key and keyway from a standard 1/8" wide to a narrow 1/16" wide. You have to be sure your crankshaft and flywheel agree if you try to swap them around to find the right drum/pawl combination.

View attachment 955979

Mark
I will get pictures of mine tonight and attempt to attach them here. Plus eyeball measure the keyway for my mental records.

Latest posts

Back