McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say anything about anyone reviving old saws since I've been working on these old Homelite plastic XL saws just to have something to do. I think I've built about a half dozen of them from spare parts..
I did the same thing last summer when I ran out of Macs to work on.I don't think I'll ever really run out of saws to work on,Lol.When I get tired of working on the red ones I'll work on the yellow ones & vice versa.

I finished up on the PM 10-10 today with bar plates & a bar & chain.I have an oil leak somewhere & can't figure out where it is.If I let the saw sit in it's normal position it leaks quite a bit,but if I lay the saw on it's side the leak is minimal,only a few drops.The leak appears to be on the lower corner by the bar.
Looks great.

I got the 1-75 out a couple days ago & started tinkering with it.I've had the recoil & clutch off for almost 4 yrs.I found another clutch on feebay & put that on & when I put the recoil on it'd just skip over the pawls & not catch.When I got the saw about 5 yrs.ago the recoil was half apart & it was missing screws here & there.From what I can remember I had to replace the pulley in the recoil,but for the life of me I can't remember pulling the recoil spring out.I sat there & looked it over for a bit & figured that someone (maybe me) had put the recoil spring in backwards.So,I pulled the recoil apart & took the spring out & put it in the other way.I put the recoil back together & on the saw & now it works like it should.The bar & chain that came on the saw is about a 20 in.bar & #62 Oregon .404 chain.Since the saw is 95cc I think it could handle much more than 20 in.I have a modified Husky bar on my 450 that's not running right now with a 32 in..404 chain & I'll see if that'll fit.Here's a pic of the recoil spring in backwards.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0
greenmachine - Pull the choke out for "choke", press DSP (compression release) in, usually helps to hold the throttle open if there is no latch (hard to see for sure with the choke knob in the way).

The saw is equipped with an automatic oil pump, located in the oil tank. Use the manual oil periodically when cutting dirty wood or with with extra pitch or sap and to prime the automatic oiler when the tank runs empty.

That is a very special saw, treat it with care.

Mark

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'm planning on actually using the saw. It runs well and frankly I need a backup saw of this power level. These aren't so precious as to make them just collectors items right?

Any good, modern 2 stroke oil and ethanol free gasoline if possible. If you must use ethanol blended fuel, try to run it empty when you are finished.

McCulloch actually changed their recommendation from 40:1 to 32:1 for the 82 cc saws since the porting was quite aggressive on those models. I run mine at 40:1 but make sure they running with the Hi adjusted just on the rich side.

Mark

Got this guy finished up a few days ago, late enough in the evening I was able to get pics of it on the kitchen table without getting in trouble. Still needs the stickers put on, but I've been too afraid of screwing up to actually do it.
View attachment 1089495View attachment 1089496
Wow! It looks great, what paint did you use?
It really looks like old McCulloch yellow.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'm planning on actually using the saw. It runs well and frankly I need a backup saw of this power level. These aren't so precious as to make them just collectors items right?
My favourite saw. 😍 use the heck of it man it's got years n years of life.

Back