McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put this together from a couple of parts saws over a few evenings. Needed a carb kit and still needs some self tapping screws, but it runs pretty well so far. A little unconventional in design but pretty easy to work on. The oiler bolts on underneath the flywheel which I haven't seen before. Maybe only a couple ounces lighter than a Stihl ms250, but I have 25 bucks into it so I can't complain.

IMG_20220210_213836.jpgIMG_20220209_153917.jpgIMG_20220209_153641.jpgIMG_20220210_235411.jpgIMG_20220210_235400.jpg

Yes, a few hidden screws. The blow gun on the compressor is a big help cleaning out the crevices and exposing them.
Adequate power for it's displacement if not it's weight. Very easy saw to flood, just like my friends 10-10. Maybe a downdraft carb thing?

The blow gun on the compressor is a big help cleaning out the crevices and exposing them.
This is the best blow nozzle out there -- bar none. The built in regulator can go from a delicate whisper to cleaning your driveway just by using the trigger. Nothing else I've ever used even comes close to it. Highly recommended.

Hello Mini Mac enthusiasts... or "masochists", either or. :)
It's been a while and I thought I'd return to this thread with this.

I've been having trouble with an MDC inlet needle that is leaking uncontrollably. Everything I have done to try and fix it, had failed. I had now lost count how many times I've taken the saw apart.

Looking around, I wished that the cheap MDC kits got the inlet needle right. Also looking at genuine Walbro kits for other carbs, the inlet needles are also too long. (I wasn't going to get a K1-MDC just for a needle either)

Original MDC Needle - Left.
Genuine Walbro Needle - Right.

Needle 1.jpg

I was so frustrated at this point, that I took a hard look at the two needles. And then, a thought entered my head. The more I pondered it, the more I wanted to try it. So I did this... I took a test subject needle, and tried to get an idea between the two.

Needle 2.jpg

I made a few markings on the test subject, and then I took a dremel, and a vice, and I made a redneck lathe.

Needle 3.jpg

Needle 4.jpg

I made a few just to test out if it was possible, but I didn't take pictures of them. Each one has its own idiosyncrasy.

I still need to refine how I go about it, as I was just eyeballing it and winging it.
It was just an experiment out of frustration. I'm very dismissive on if this is even viable in the long run.

Original MDC - Left.
Prototype Modified Needle - Right.

Needle 5.jpg

The modified needle clearly isn't perfect, but it was just to test if this was possible.

I made two more that I tried out. The second one I screwed up making it and I "corrected" it.
It kind of looks like a pagoda, and didn't hold pressure well, and still leaked.

The third one was slightly more in spec, but a tad smaller in length. This one performed much better.
Testing it out earlier, it seems to function alright.

Putting it in the carb, it beat the original MDC needle that was leaking like a sieve.
It isn't that stable though, and does bleed down, just very, very slowly. Two minutes pass before the pressure tester needle even moves. The saw ran... better than last time, and wasn't flooding to beat all hell. In the heat of the moment, it does perform and hold fuel.

As I said, I'm very leery on if this is even worth it. I also couldn't find out if I'm the only one who's done this, but I doubt It.

However, the more I thought about it, this came to mind: What happens when NOS needles can't be found?
Or the original kits are too expensive, and all you have are kits that don't get the needles right?

Maybe if someone out there has better equipment, and more patience than me, they can refine this idea.

Let me know what you all think.

M

Hi, I’m looking for the air filter and housing for this little guy. According to the guy I got it from, it sat in his dads workshop for 20 years.
771F4BA4-E8E1-4334-B544-0656A7616EC0.jpeg04F41958-FDDF-41A1-977E-9A6D3C7F047E.jpeg

Pro Mac 510? Good saw or nah? Been interested in getting a couple Mac’s. Seems like a slight risk on fb for 30 bucks. Ad says it needs fuel lines is all which probably isn’t correct but we will see

Hi, I’m looking for the air filter and housing for this little guy. According to the guy I got it from, it sat in his dads workshop for 20 years.

Does it run? I'd assume it would need a carb kit, and then you're in for an adventure (watch a video or two on taking them apart). Squirt some gas in there and see if it shows signs of life before going down the rabbit hole. They're not bad to dismantle once you do it a couple times. Probably takes me 5 minutes now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354099054315
You can find the cover on ebay with the filter too, or get an aftermarket filter. Just an example. Camp ebay or craigslist and you can probably get a whole saw for the same price and that way you have spare parts when you need them. Ask in trading post too, someone would probably send you a saw for the cost of shipping. Also, a lot of the mini mac parts are interchangeable across models.

Warning: every saw I've bought as a "parts saw" has turned into a rebuild. It's a slippery slope. :)

Paging @MacAttack
First off - How have you been doing? I hope life has been treating you well.

I just have a quick question for you about that fiberglass fuel wick idea you had.
Did you ever get around to trying it out?

I’ve been experimenting with retrofitting a Mini with a different kind of fuel filter, and have been looking for more ideas to try out.

Thanks.
M

My SP40 is a screamer, I just can't decide how I like the 1/4" chain. I have it pretty sharp and it cuts reasonably well, part of me just seems to think a good cutting 3/8 LP is faster...

This one has a Zama carb with a fixed main jet. For limbing and pruning the rear handle gives much better control than a Mini Mac, definitely feels like it doesn't want to cut your face off as bad, haha.

20200803_080955.jpg20200803_081008.jpg

Paging @MacAttack
First off - How have you been doing? I hope life has been treating you well.

I just have a quick question for you about that fiberglass fuel wick idea you had.
Did you ever get around to trying it out?

I’ve been experimenting with retrofitting a Mini with a different kind of fuel filter, and have been looking for more ideas to try out.

Thanks.
M
Life has been alright, some ups and downs. Spring and summer projects and activities have kept me from tinkering with saws. Now that it's getting cold, I may start up a new fixer upper.

In my queue to be repaired I have:

1 McCulloch 10-10 Pro
1 Mini Mac 30
2 Mini Mac 6's
1 Homelite 240
2 McCulloch 35cc "import" saws (MIM, MIT)

To answer your question, I have not had a chance to experiment with the Fibreglass wick, but I plan to! Good to talk again.

AJ

Life has been alright, some ups and downs. Spring and summer projects and activities have kept me from tinkering with saws. Now that it's getting cold, I may start up a new fixer upper.

In my queue to be repaired I have:

1 McCulloch 10-10 Pro
1 Mini Mac 30
2 Mini Mac 6's
1 Homelite 240
2 McCulloch 35cc "import" saws (MIM, MIT)

To answer your question, I have not had a chance to experiment with the Fibreglass wick, but I plan to! Good to talk again.

AJ

Good to hear that you are doing well, and are gearing up for some neat projects!
Wishing you the best luck on all of them. That SP40 looks real cool. :)

All of the projects I had, have come to a halt. Life has been a complete jackass.
However, I have a 240 myself that I've been putting off for quite a while now that I will get back to in time.
As well as looking for a couple of Pro 10-10 donor saws lately. I've just been very, very busy, and have hit a bit of saw dry spell, so no dice so far.

When you get a chance to try out that fiberglass filter, let us know how it goes.
Also, how is that PVC recoil holding up?

Good to talk with you again as well.

M

Here was the last thing I was working on. A little Eager Beaver that I came across a while ago. It was/is missing some minor pieces.

As you would expect, it's a electronic ignition, and has a integrated top handle throttle latch, instead of the usual idle screw mounted one. It's an even more unreliable idea than the idle screw latch.

It was completely filthy, and caked with dirt, oil and saw dust. It soon got sent to the back burner, and there it stays.
Looking at the front cover, I didn't see an oil adjusting screw. I hoped that it wasn't missing it, or the pump, and was just a manual only model.
Thankfully, it was.

It was much worse off. It's a little... "cleaner" here.

NotWhatYouThink.jpg

The piston and cylinder had some light carbon scoring and marks, but is in fair shape, and has decent compression. I didn't take any more pictures of the rest of the saw, but the fuel tank reeked of incredibly rotten gas, and the fuel filter disintegrated upon removal.

Here was what the inside of the Zama M1 - M7 carb looked like. It was this thick, black, gooey varnish that had the viscosity of melted rubber.

Nothing was moving in there.

TarPit.jpg

I'll get back to this one when I have the time again. Until then, I'm leaving the tar pit alone.

M

Good to hear that you are doing well, and are gearing up for some neat projects!
Wishing you the best luck on all of them. That SP40 looks real cool. :)

All of the projects I had, have come to a halt. Life has been a complete jackass.
However, I have a 240 myself that I've been putting off for quite a while now that I will get back to in time.
As well as looking for a couple of Pro 10-10 donor saws lately. I've just been very, very busy, and have hit a bit of saw dry spell, so no dice so far.

When you get a chance to try out that fiberglass filter, let us know how it goes.
Also, how is that PVC recoil holding up?

Good to talk with you again as well.

M
The PVC recoil is going strong haha, it's probably at least twice as strong as the original recoil drum with the flimsy metal to plastic pieces that cracked almost immediately.

If I find any time I'll get some of that 1/2 inch fibreglass wick and experiment, I hear ya on life being a pain. I can't get caught up, too many half-finished projects.

It seems to me that anything with the name "Eager Beaver" on the side had a particularly failure-prone electronic ignition. I have an Eager Beaver trimmer that's in otherwise fantastic shape but no spark. I tried modifying a replacement module for a different model trimmer to make it run. It has a great spark...but the timing must be completely off, it will not pop or run. So it's a wall-hanger, while my old points ignition Mini Macs keep plugging along.

This should be an easy one....Mini Mac 6, hot spark, everything is TIGHT like it has almost no running on it. MDC carb is kinda odd with a plastic fuel pump. Manual oiler only, vented caps, all yellow plastics. Also 1/4" bar and chain with original McCulloch chain in great shape. 20221021_214728.jpg

Latest posts

Back