McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This early MDC carb is odd... there is no return spring on the throttle, and nope it didn't fall off, you can see there is no hole drilled in the carb body to catch the spring like on the later MDC carb in my picture. However, other than a metering diaphragm that's like a potato chip, it's pretty clean inside. Tested the check valve, and it's good! There's even proof marks on the Welch plugs.

I thought I had some MDC repair kits laying around but nope, gotta order some gaskets and diaphragms....

I also found a manufacture date on the carb, Sept 1972.

20221021_222734.jpg20221021_222742.jpg20221021_222811.jpg20221021_223132.jpg20221021_223139.jpg20221021_224113.jpg

Waiting for my carb kit to be delivered for my MM6 job, in the meantime I was looking at classifieds for old McCullochs. People are getting downright stupid with what they think Mini Macs are worth (or my investment in them is about to pay off, haha!)

Look at this crackpot... imagine if a Mini Mac was worth this much! And most of the ads for running Mini Macs are getting to be over $150??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221025-221036.png
    Screenshot_20221025-221036.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Waiting for my carb kit to be delivered for my MM6 job, in the meantime I was looking at classifieds for old McCullochs. People are getting downright stupid with what they think Mini Macs are worth (or my investment in them is about to pay off, haha!)

Look at this crackpot... imagine if a Mini Mac was worth this much! And most of the ads for running Mini Macs are getting to be over $150??
😆 I suppose the freights reasonable though haha

It seems to me that anything with the name "Eager Beaver" on the side had a particularly failure-prone electronic ignition. I have an Eager Beaver trimmer that's in otherwise fantastic shape but no spark. I tried modifying a replacement module for a different model trimmer to make it run. It has a great spark...but the timing must be completely off, it will not pop or run. So it's a wall-hanger, while my old points ignition Mini Macs keep plugging along.

I'll keep that in mind about the ignition on that saw. I do know that the "Eager Beavers" had a problem with grounding out, but that it is easily rectified.
But yes, I do believe that points are oddly more reliable.

On another note: That is a neat looking Mini Mac 6. I couldn't quite tell from the picture, but are those the caps that have the foam type vent setup?

Also, I think recognize those "proof marks" on the welch plugs. Very strange.

M

I'll keep that in mind about the ignition on that saw. I do know that the "Eager Beavers" had a problem with grounding out, but that it is easily rectified.
But yes, I do believe that points are oddly more reliable.

On another note: That is a neat looking Mini Mac 6. I couldn't quite tell from the picture, but are those the caps that have the foam type vent setup?

Also, I think recognize those "proof marks" on the welch plugs. Very strange.

M
Ill get a few pics, they are the strange early caps that have a separate plastic "diaphragm" type baffle inside them to vent. It must have been a lousy design because they switched pretty quickly, haha.

This MM6 has insanely little use on it, there is barely any paint rubbed off the original 10" bar, or any wear on the chain. I'd estimate less than 10 hours run time.

What I've been working on in my limited time... indestructible PVC repaired recoil #2: sizing up and matching up to another Mini Mac recoil.

Also pics of the early Mini Mac gas / oil caps with a tiny hole in the cap itself (by my thumbnail).

20221103_232715.jpg20221103_232743_HDR.jpg20221103_232749_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20221103_232721.jpg
    20221103_232721.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi guys,first time here posting in the MM sticky.I posted in the main Mac sticky & was told to come here.I just bought an Eager Beaver 2.1 & it seems to have intermittent spark.I've tried 3 different plugs,including a Bosch HS8E.The saw will fire when I put fuel in the plug hole,or prime the carb with an empty tank,but if I fill the tank it's a no go & when I pull the plug it's wet.I'm assuming the carb needs a new kit,but it doesn't explain the intermittent spark.

Also,the manual oiler won't work.I pulled the tank & oil line off yesterday & all seemed to be in order,spring is in the oil line,oil pick up is clear,no kinks in the line.The problem seems to be in the pump.I've never had one of these pumps apart,so I don't know what's involved.

I think your intermittent spark / wet plug is 95% most likely your fuel inlet metering diaphragm in your carb is hard as woodpecker lips and flooding the engine.
Hi guys,first time here posting in the MM sticky.I posted in the main Mac sticky & was told to come here.I just bought an Eager Beaver 2.1 & it seems to have intermittent spark.I've tried 3 different plugs,including a Bosch HS8E.The saw will fire when I put fuel in the plug hole,or prime the carb with an empty tank,but if I fill the tank it's a no go & when I pull the plug it's wet.I'm assuming the carb needs a new kit,but it doesn't explain the intermittent spark.

Also,the manual oiler won't work.I pulled the tank & oil line off yesterday & all seemed to be in order,spring is in the oil line,oil pick up is clear,no kinks in the line.The problem seems to be in the pump.I've never had one of these pumps apart,so I don't know what's involved.

I think your intermittent spark / wet plug is 95% most likely your fuel inlet metering diaphragm in your carb is hard as woodpecker lips and flooding the engine.
I like that analogy - hard as woodpecker lips.Can't say as I've ever heard it before,quite original.

I'll be pulling the oil pump off & most likely apart to see what's going on with it.This time though it'll come apart in an aluminum baking dish to minimze the loss of any disc check valve like happened to me a couple yrs.ago.

The 300 Series pump is very similar. The steel insert, ball, and spring are not intended to be serviceable but I have had success carefully twisting them out with pair pliers. Be sure to note exactly how far is it pressed into the pump body as there is nothing in there to stop it. There was a Service Bulletin I saw describing how some left the factory pressed to the wrong depth. The groove in the insert must align with the inlet in order for the pump to function.

IMG_5154.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

The disc check valve (5) on the 300 series pump is located under the fitting on the front of the pump. That elbow (4) is just pressed into the pump body.

1668215834014.png

Mark

Latest posts

Back