McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked-up a very clean McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 chainsaw today. The model number is 60014U and the serial number starts with 12

I think this saw needs an electronic ignition.

I only paid $25 for it.

Is it worth fixing or should I part it out?

I passed through my late teenage years using an Homelite Super XL and a buddy of mine had a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10. I always liked that McCulloch and thought I'd like to have one to restore/use on some firewood if the $$'s aren't to bad.

Looks like a pretty simple saw to work on.

Any input on this saw would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

fix it and cut wood, I really enjoy my 10-10 for odd jobs around the house and light firewood cutting. See if there is a lot of saw dust and oil buildup around the coil, mine had week spark but I cleaned it up real good and found that it was just extremely dirty and now runs like a champ. I think I spent more for the chain than I did for the saw.
mcculloch001.jpg

fix it and cut wood, I really enjoy my 10-10 for odd jobs around the house and light firewood cutting. See if there is a lot of saw dust and oil buildup around the coil, mine had week spark but I cleaned it up real good and found that it was just extremely dirty and now runs like a champ. I think I spent more for the chain than I did for the saw.
mcculloch001.jpg

Yes - I pulled off the recoil cover housing to have a look-see at the coil and though it was fairly clean in there - there was a build-up of saw dust against the flywheel face and the ignition.

I'll clean that off and give it another try. Do you know the gap?

Anyone know the part number for a new ignition module and was this a common item across the variants of the 10-10 saws?

Thanks!
Bill

Pull the flywheel, clean and set the points, and don't worry about it.
I have seen 10 series coils beat to hell, and still function. Make sure the coil wire is not cut or chafed allowing spark to jump. Other than that, not much goes wrong with them.

Last edited:
I have 2 10-10 saws, a 700 and a Mac 55. I think I have less than 50 in all of them and they all run. I can't tell much difference in them except for the 700, seems to have much more than the others. I gave $5 for it.

Nice bragging.......Grrrrrrrr:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I picked-up a very clean McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 chainsaw today. The model number is 60014U and the serial number starts with 12

I only paid $25 for it.

I passed through my late teenage years using an Homelite Super XL and a buddy of mine had a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10. I always liked that McCulloch and thought I'd like to have one to restore/use on some firewood if the $$'s aren't to bad.

Thanks!
Bill

I say it is worth trying to fix myself though I can not help with part numbers. You may have to match up a coil from another saw, a lot of saws probably used the same/compatible coil.

I have seen 10 series coild beat to hell, and still function. Make sure the coil wire is not cut or chafed allowing spark to jump. Other than that, not much goes wrong with them.

Should not be any points in that saw, the 12 prefix on the serial number should mean it has electronic ignition.

I have seen 10 series coild beat to hell, and still function. Make sure the coil wire is not cut or chafed allowing spark to jump. Other than that, not much goes wrong with them.

The saw is electronic ignition - no points.

Thanks!
Bill

I have a couple, a ProMac 10-10 Automatic:

SandcastPoulans001.jpg

An a real nice late model ProMac 10-10S with chain brake:

Mac10-10S010.jpg

Mac10-10S009.jpg

I would say it is worth fixing.

Last edited:
I have 2 10-10 saws, a 700 and a Mac 55. I think I have less than 50 in all of them and they all run. I can't tell much difference in them except for the 700, seems to have much more than the others. I gave $5 for it.

$5!!! Haha; I love it. There are so many great finds out there, and it's cool when you stumble on something like that, isn't it?

Great score!

$5!!! Haha; I love it. There are so many great finds out there, and it's cool when you stumble on something like that, isn't it?

Great score!

Yeah, it is good. I've stumbled on lots of these in the last 2 or 3 years, mainly because people just consider them old, obsolete saws and generally want them out of the way. Don't ask me about the 4 Stihl saws I got last week for $60, one of them late model and running!
attachment.php

mcculloch001.jpg
I definitely spent more for the chain than my ProMac 10-10 too. Saw was $15 chain was damn near $30. Lol20210618_081050.jpg

What a difference 10 years makes! I don't have any McCulloch saws anymore, sold them all. I do still have several Homelites, 3 or 4 small XLs, and a couple of Super XL saws, I think I paid about $10 each for them in non-running condition. One of the Super XLs I had to give $40 for it...I do still like the Macs but I've gone mostly to plastic saws since my age and health aren't what they used to be..

What a difference 10 years makes! I don't have any McCulloch saws anymore, sold them all. I do still have several Homelites, 3 or 4 small XLs, and a couple of Super XL saws, I think I paid about $10 each for them in non-running condition. One of the Super XLs I had to give $40 for it...I do still like the Macs but I've gone mostly to plastic saws since my age and health aren't what they used to be..
I have 3 little homelites right now too. 2 are XL's and one is a Super2. But they are all pretty much the same. And im buying a 1970s Super Ez for $40 tomorrow. Also tryin to buy a Homelite model 17 i believe its called? From 1954 and its 82cc i think? Bt anyways i only paid $30 for the 3 little ones total! And they run!20210708_222209.jpg

I only paid $25 for it.

Thanks!
Bill

PHO #
Pro Mac 10-10 15lb 11.5oz muffler guard and chain brake
Mac 10-10 12lb 5.5oz
Mac 7-10 12lb 15.5oz
The pro mac never gets used.........almost looks new

Back