McCullouch Super Pro 81E Value...What's it Worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear this as I'm going to do the same.
I measured the studs on the SP 125 and they are .363" / 9.23mm, the studs are 1.5"o.c. / 38mm o.c.. Looks like all I have to do to make my 32", .50 gauge, .476" / 12mm stud opening, (.50g, 3/8", 98GP teeth?) sprocket replaceable tip (STA-375) bar work is a simple set of spring spacers.
Any tips on replacing the SP 125 drive 7 pin floating sprocket and maybe down the road the clutch that is 3.13" I.D., 3.28" O.D. ?

I measured the studs on the SP 125 and they are .363" / 9.23mm, the studs are 1.5"o.c. / 38mm o.c.. Looks like all I have to do to make my 32", .50 gauge, .476" / 12mm stud opening, (.50g, 3/8", 98GP teeth?) sprocket replaceable tip (STA-375) bar work is a simple set of spring spacers.
Any tips on replacing the SP 125 drive 7 pin floating sprocket and maybe down the road the clutch that is 3.13" I.D., 3.28" O.D. ?
I forgot to point out that I'm doing this as the 42" and 63" bars I have are to much for smaller trees milling and bucking.

If the sprocket is good and the chain doesn't spin at idle, your good. 7 pin & .404 go together well on the 125. The stock 125 clutch has worked great for me on 50" bars buried.

If the sprocket is good and the chain doesn't spin at idle, your good. 7 pin & .404 go together well on the 125. The stock 125 clutch has worked great for me on 50" bars buried.
Yea maybe I should go with a smaller bar (not much) with .404 chain as it should be easier to square grind the .404 over a 3/8" square grind chain. I just happen to come across this 32" .50 g. windsor bar. The sprocket seems to run both .404 on a 42" bar as well as 3/8" on a 5 foot double ended bar. Both are to much for smaller trees milling and bucking.

I'm going with square grind as I found a industrial foley carbide type grinder for a song. Have not done it yet however I'm willing to take the time needed.

Yea maybe I should go with a smaller bar (not much) with .404 chain as it should be easier to square grind the .404 over a 3/8" square grind chain. I just happen to come across this 32" .50 g. windsor bar. The sprocket seems to run both .404 on a 42" bar as well as 3/8" on a 5 foot double ended bar. Both are to much for smaller trees milling and bucking.

I'm going with square grind as I found a industrial foley carbide type grinder for a song. Have not done it yet however I'm willing to take the time needed.
Why use a 125 on smaller trees, or even a sp81? I'd use a smaller saw. I mean if you hurt want to run it because you only have summer trees, ok, but those saws were mean, and don't really shine in smaller sized wood. I guess you could use an 8 pin in 3/8 on a 125 with a 32" bar or 24" bar on the 81, but you still won't experience what these old monsters were made for.

Why use a 125 on smaller trees, or even a sp81? I'd use a smaller saw. I mean if you hurt want to run it because you only have summer trees, ok, but those saws were mean, and don't really shine in smaller sized wood. I guess you could use an 8 pin in 3/8 on a 125 with a 32" bar or 24" bar on the 81, but you still won't experience what these old monsters were made for.
Good point however until I get a SP 81 for milling I thought I would try it. I agree the 125 shines the best in big wood.

Good point however until I get a SP 81 for milling I thought I would try it. I agree the 125 shines the best in big wood.
Don't worry as the saw will be cutting 32" - 40" wood up in the mountains. The 5' bar will be used on this size wood.

Don't worry as the saw will be cutting 32" - 40" wood up in the mountains. The 5' bar will be used on this size wood.
Looks like there is say 18 - 29 smaller trees I may be taking down for timbers etc. in the short term.

Latest posts

Back