Measuring a cord in practical terms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting a headache rack with full length rails in the next week or so. Then I'll have some tiedowns so I can strap a load down if I go over level and won't chuck a piece of firewood through my back glass like I've come close to a couple times.

Ian

I need to do that myself. My partner built a set of racks from wood for his shortbed. We can haul 1/2 cord in it, but the racks probably aren't going to last too long. I'm looking for a headache rack for my pickup now, and then want to build some metal racks that will pin to the headache rack with uprights in the stake pockets (want to be able to take the side racks off w/out too much trouble).

Seems like a fair approach really. The challenge, as I'm sure you realize, will be in educating your customers on what X tons of firewood looks like and roughly equates to in cords.

Interesting that there are NYS legal measurements on firewood. Is there any on-line reference that you're aware of?

Here you go

http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/WM/WMwood.html

I just had what was supposed to be 2 cords of wood delivered - not "face cords", but 2 full cords. I fully understand that the technical definition of a cord is 4' x 4' x 8', regardless of the cut length. This would all work out easy if logs were cut to 24", but obviously they're not, and typical length seems to vary anywhere from 12" to 20".

What I'm being told is that in practice, what you get when you order a cord is two 4' x 8' rows, regardless of the cut length. I nicely, but firmly disagreed, indicating that a stacked cord needs to measure 4' x 4' x 8' regardless of log length. Fortunately we settled on a more agreeable cost, but it was a somewhat contentious conversation.

Who is right?
You are. If he is using that kind of logic you need one more row.

I just ordered 3 cords of wood and had it dumped on Wed Night. I stacked some wed night and some Thursday night after work and finished the stacking today. After measuring it I have less then 299 cubic feet.:jawdrop: Now I have to deal with getting this straightened out. Its very frustrating since I paid the guy cash. I'm in NY. I'M hoping the wood supplier is going to do the right thing.

He'll probably make it right with you. Anytime anyone questioned me I told them to stack it and if I shorted them I would certainly make it right (I always give people more than a face cord, which is what I sell it by) and have never ever had someone call me back (unless they wanted another load). I think most people want to do things correct.

I hate stacking wood on a truck and trailer. It's such a waste of time. I have to stack it at the persons house anyway. A lot of what I deliver goes behind the house or in the garage. I have a couple of dollies made up that hold split 1/8 of a rank of wood(4sqft on the front). I just give the 8 dolly loads. If they get a cord they get 24. Works great for steps also. Think of how much time you have stacking. Some people go to the woods and stack the truck full. They then split the wood and stack it in rows. Then they stack it in a truck or trailer. Then stack it at the persons house. Each rank of wood has been stacked at least 4 times. More if it was stacked before splitting. That wastes a lot of time. I stack it in the basket on front of the skid steer. Dump it in the dump trailer. Split it of the trailer and throw it in the pile. Load it with the skid steer and stack it at the persons house. I hate stacking it twice I couldn't take doing it 4 times.

Scott

Though i'm not a firewod dealer, i've been known to provide a cord or two to a friend or family member if i have more than i need. For me, its pretty easy to judge whether or not i delivered them a cord. My dump trailer is 6' X 10' X 2' (to the top of the steel sides). Only gotta add another eight cubic feet to have a full cord. Its nice to be able to argue whether or not its a cord BEFORE i dump it !

Thats true if you stack it in, but according to THE Ohio State University, a thrown cord (16" lengths) is 180 cubic feet;)

Thrown Cord

Thats true if you stack it in, but according to THE Ohio State University, a thrown cord (16" lengths) is 180 cubic feet;)

I measure all only this way and have never had complaints from customers being short. I use 190 cubic feet just to be safe and tell customers to call if it doesn't stack to 128. They never call back and keep ordering ever year so I must be doing something right.

I also try and make length as close to one size as possible. 12 to 20" sounds to me like too wide a range for most people and would be very difficult to measure properly when stacked.

Thrown cord is legal way to measure in State of Maine.

I just emailed a guy in Lexington that was selling wood in "ricked rolls" for $40, asking him how much of a cord his roll was. Turns out 4 rolls = 4 x 8 x 14" That's $547 a cord. I guess he's marketing to folk wanting a fire in the fireplace once in a while, not heating with it.

Ian

What I'm being told is that in practice, what you get when you order a cord is two 4' x 8' rows, regardless of the cut length.

It's not a matter of "practice" or local "custom", it's a matter of legal definition, and it's not open to debate.

You are right.

here we sell by the 'rick'. A rick being 4'x8'x?". I cut most of my wood at 18" but some shorties do end up in the stack. I have had a few people call and ask for a cord. I make sure they understand how much a cord is (both in size and price) before i show up with one. If theydo infact want a true cord, i take them 3 ricks ( each 4'x8'x18"). this is more than a true cord but im not going to argue the mathmatics. I get rid of the wood and make them happy all the same.

im kind of curios to know if the price will go up this yr because of the gas price. around here a rick is $65 for mixed wood and oak generally gets around $85.

An extra 25 to 50 sticks can make a person

a life long customer or the worst advertisement you could ever get.

Pops used to say, "fair it up boy whats a mater with you"

hey haywood

how much have you had to go up on a cord with this 4.00 gal gas

I haven't really decided yet. Last year I was selling 1/3 cord for $55 and 2/3 cord for $95 and I'd add $5 if I had to drive further than I wanted. I'm thinking $10 more on both prices and $10+ gas surcharge depending on how far off they are. I'm what the pro's call a "beer money" wood seller, I only have 8-10 cords to sell. Just enough to take the bite out of Christmas and the mid-winter propane fill.

Ian

:looser: same here I had an order for a load this week 5 x10x 1.5 trailer sold it for 90 bucks not a get rich quick thing at all but some people still think your ripping them

did you say propane:cry: :cry:

I think most people want to do things correct.

That's noble, but I'm finding it's not so much the case. What I seem to be finding is that once people realize you know what an actual cord is, they're not as interested in having you as a customer. Sad really...

I just had what was supposed to be 2 cords of wood delivered - not "face cords", but 2 full cords. I fully understand that the technical definition of a cord is 4' x 4' x 8', regardless of the cut length. This would all work out easy if logs were cut to 24", but obviously they're not, and typical length seems to vary anywhere from 12" to 20".

What I'm being told is that in practice, what you get when you order a cord is two 4' x 8' rows, regardless of the cut length. I nicely, but firmly disagreed, indicating that a stacked cord needs to measure 4' x 4' x 8' regardless of log length. Fortunately we settled on a more agreeable cost, but it was a somewhat contentious conversation.

Who is right?

The truth is, many people in my part of NY State may not know the difference between a face cord and a full cord.
Your problem might be the level of awareness of the seller.
Many sell by the face cord around here, and I'm guessing some have never heard of a full cord.

It's an interesting regional characteristic, and my guess is that it has to do with pick-up truck bed sizes, pick-up truck carrying capacaties, and average income levels.

Latest posts

Back