Measuring Length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cut most my for sale wood 16 inches. I use a 1 inch by 30 foot tape and a 1 inch diameter yellow chalk. Laying the rule on the log I mark every red number (stud centers). It's quick and requires no brain work.

I've tried using my arm or the 16 inch bar on my ole 028 but I get neater ricks when I use the rule.

So what's yer method?

I cut most my for sale wood 16 inches. I use a 1 inch by 30 foot tape and a 1 inch diameter yellow chalk. Laying the rule on the log I mark every red number (stud centers). It's quick and requires no brain work.

I've tried using my arm or the 16 inch bar on my ole 028 but I get neater ricks when I use the rule.

So what's yer method?

One word: "Mingo"

I have used a yardstick, homemade measuring sticks, measuring tape, and the Mingo. The easiest for me is to use is the line I put on my bar with a permanent marker. I measure the first cut or two and the rest of the cuts are made by visual estimation.

Just my $0.02 cents worth, what works for me....

From the tip of the very back of the handle, measure forward and Sharpie your measurement for 16" , and the same from the bar tip back on the bar.

Scratching the paint off the bar stays visible for a long time, again, Sharpie will be easy to see. (I worked with a guy that hooked me on Sharpies, never leave home with out one)

Firewood dose not have to be perfect, once you measure a couple off the saw or off the bar, you will get a feel for what the length looks like and be able to eyeball a good share of your work.

This works for me. Hook made long enough to extend to or past bottom chain. Hook is beveled so it will fit into cut easily.

MeasuringBar.jpg

This works for me. Hook made long enough to extend to or past bottom chain. Hook is beveled so it will fit into cut easily.

MeasuringBar.jpg

You gotta be kidding! How in the heck do you cut anything with that hanging off the side of your bar?????? Wouldn't that rod it the log when you are cutting the log once you got past 2 inches deep?

Last edited:
I think he means that you just use it to mark your sawpoints on a log with the saw and then you take if off. Still too much bother for me.

MeasuringBar.jpg

Holy crapola Batman! In the time it takes to assemble / disassemble that, you could mark more wood with a Mingo than you could cut with several tanks of fuel!

The speed of Mingo marking makes it pay for itself REAL quickly. Not to mention, it looks great to have uniformly sized wood.

firewood i eyeball, that being said its all for family use, i havent sold any in a long time.

when im logging i use a tape measure for sawlogs, but for pulp and other products that arent as important i use a 4' long fiberglass fencepost. ( i can multiply by 4 like you wouldnt believe!)

when making firewood that needs to be right i make 4' peices and tier them up. cut it twice and you have 3 16" peices, cut it 3 times and you have 4 12" peices. i just built a rack to stack them in and then bury the bar in the pile!

I usually use a 30' tape and a bright orange/green/pink lumber-grading keel... But I've used, sticks, my foot, my eyeball, marks on the bar, etc, etc.

There are two problems with making ahead of time.

1. You come to a crotch and have to adjust where the cut is best - screws up all subsequent marks.

2. Log rolls after marking, you lose the marks and have to remark.

I use a cut off guide on my small saw and carry a 16" 1x2. to see where each cut will fall. It is a nuisance having to grab it, eyball, set aside for each cut. Will Probably get another guide for the 310 to rid myself of the problem.

Harry K

One word: "Mingo"

bingo!!!! i mean Mingo. especially if the wood is large, say 10" or larger. it works well on the smaller stuff, you just have to slow down a little. my brother and i cut together. i have an insert and exact length is not so important to me. however, he has a WBS and insist that he be able to pack the maximum amount of wood into it. this is the first year i have used one. i will modify it this winter by putting some type of rubber tread (similar to what is on a toy bulldozer). if the wood is knotty or crooked, the plastic wheel tends to slip if you are not conscious to keep downward pressure on it. i have tried tapes and measuring sticks. nothing is as fast as the Mingo

:Eye: :Eye: It's all I use. If it looks tougher to split I cut it a little shorter. Although I don't sell any, I have given alot away.
The boiler takes it any length up to 4'!

Back