Meet the neighbors: How's it going for woodcutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one of the ones in the "lap of luxury". I have 80 acres here, with some neighbors across the street, but otherwise no one within 1/4 mile or so of me. A row of trees along the road helps with the folks across the street. I only had one complaint ever from any of them, a lady that just built and didn't like to look at my "junk" machinery. After a discussion (where I was happy to be able to stay level headed), she was informed that it may be rusty and old, but it ain't junk. I have another neighbor over there that I help split the big stuff they can't get by hand once or twice a year. Tractors, trucks, saws, guns, etc. are pretty well tolerated around here.

On a winter Saturday morning, I can usually hear at least one or two other saws running when I shut down for a break. Occasionally, I'll go visit with them on the ATV, or they'll stop by the woods and BS a bit. I'd say about 80% of my "neighborhood" burns wood in some fashion, and over half use it for primary heat.

Life is good here as long as the economy keeps too many more city people from jumping the river, and even with that, I'm still 5 miles out of the nearest small town, so development is pretty piecemeal.

Best of luck to all of you trying to keep the peace in the middle of town.

I'm with those for the country life, I'm on 125 acres most of which is row crops but the house sits about a 1/4 mile off the road and the woods is a good 1/2 mile from the nearest neighbor. I don't mind firing up the saw at 7am on a Saturday or Sunday out there, even if someone complained to the sheriff I'm not sure if they would be able to figure out how to get out to the woods!

I definitely agree that it takes some getting used to living out in the sticks. The nearest grocery store for us is a half an hour and farm and fleet is a good hour to get to, but you just make and add to a list for a couple weeks and make a trip.

The peeing outside comment is so true!!

I live 3 blocks from the heart of downtown. My neighbor to the south of me doesnt care one bit. shes an old farm wife who moved into the city. She was telling me the other day about how her husband used to cut wood like I do. She keeps trying to get a cord of wood out of me for her son in law. I am half tempted to give him a cord because she puts up with a fair amount of crap out of me. saws, scrap metal, banging around in the garage all hours of the day and night, looking at my trailer full or crap etc....
The neighbor to the north just keeps buggin me for wood for their kids bonfires, theyre kids are collage grads they can go find their own frickin wood.

The neighbor behind me cuts grass as often as I fire up my saws so he doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Jeff

we get along here

3-5 acre lots. we get along ok. if i'm splitting my one neighbor comes to help stack. the other guy brought his excavator to help push some trees and dig my stumps out. he then lifts the big rounds onto my splitter for me

I have 20, neighbor to the west has 80 and no home on the property, neighbor to the south has 40 and appreciates me cleaning up the dead stuff on her property. 160 acres of federal woods to the north and 400 acres of woods to the east. I could run a saw at midnight and nobody would be the wiser.

At my shop, on an average year, the cops show up atleast a dozen or so times. Half a dozen times for noise....chainsaw/woodsplitter/chipper.....ect.
The other half dozen.....shooting bb guns at pigeions/doves(they get in my shop and #### all over everything) Welding outside at night time....I kid you not had a neighbor call the cops on me because the "bright flashy light thingy" was disturbing there peice.....Diesel trucks starting up in the morning
The list goes on and on and on.....Needless to say I got to that despise me.
My shop is in a town setting with 5/6 houses in ear shot

Nah, no issues.

Every once in a while during a BBQ, shooting breaks out though, and the local Fuzz shows up to join in.

It's uncanny how our township PD knows when the grill is hot and chow is cooking. LOL!!

All the neighbors within a couple miles either don't care, or are too busy making hellacious noise themselves.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've never had a sound problem with neighbors as of yet. The one across the street from me has never said a word to me in 6 years, and I don't plan on it. The 78 year old man next to BS's with me all the time, I help him with his leaves and lawn all the time, he's a very active guy, acts like he's 45, very stand up guy. I feel bad somtimes because our houses are 25 feet apart, and when i start my drag car in the garage I KNow it rattles his house as it does mine, I just try not to be out too late. I live in the country though, not too many neighbors around, although it looks like it. The guy across the street has called zoning on me for having a parts car sitting outside, and screwed me over on lots of things. I like to play guitar with the windows open when he is outside:hmm3grin2orange:
Here is my setup, i do my cutting in the wood zone, it's filled up now. I got recently permission to cut wood on the property behind me, about 10 cord or so back there, not counting the stuff coverd in poison ivy:help:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I live on a one acre lot. Neighbor to the right gets free eggs from the wifes chickens. One neighbor to the left of me has gotten free firewood from me. Other neighbor to the right of me has older kids with their stereo's and reving fart cans. So I am not to worried about making noise ocasionally.

No complaints so far. Live in "midtown" Omaha so plenty of neighbors. Now, most my work is done out at my partner's so there is only the wood pile out back. When I started, I was getting wood from all over via Craigslist. I had piles in driveway and most the back yard. Never have had a complaint. All of them know they only have to ask if they want some freebie wood, but only one had taken me up on it (a few wheelbarrows full) and paid me back with free food. He gets a truck load for free this year for being a nice guy. In the winter, I do snow removal for most of them as well. We all look out for each other. I wish I had pictures of when I started, what a mess it was.

I like on a lake and have no one around me in early spring and late fall since they are seasonal people. one evening I could hear a chainsaw running just after dusk so I decided to get my saw and walk down to the lake and give them a few throttle bleeps go no reply in sawcode but it sure did make a racket, that showed up those jetski city slickers :chainsawguy:

Geez louise, bummer. You must be in either Cumberland or York Counties then...

Yep, Cumberland County, Town of Gorham to be exact.

I got to know the entire Gorham PD when I was in High School... That old Bat across the street was a real PITA:angry:. The LT came down after a while to find out what the issue was. He is a real nice guy and said that he had to send a car out once she called. The deal was if I was cutting or shooting I would call into Dispatch so they knew it was me. They would dispatch a car after about an hour or so:rock: Once I saw the cop car I packed it in for the day.

My Mom got mad one day after I shut down, she went out with my 22 and did some shooting. They came back to do whatever to me to find my Mom shooting:rock: Once she got a warning she sent my Sister out... Bet the old bat got really worked up that day.

Closest neighbor is my brother, 1/4 mi. away, only time I back off is opening days for turkey/blackpowder/gun deer season.

Guess I'm real lucky! My neighbor has 100 acres that surrounds my 5 and we live at the end of a dead end road. I have come home to him cutting my grass cause he said he ran out of things to do. He's also retired and stays home most of the time and keeps an eye on everything. We haven't locked the doors in years. Oh and we only live bout 5 minutes from anything you could possibly ever want!:)

Well, one of our our good neighbors struck again. Retired couple across the road has a pair of grown kids who cut, split and stack about 8 cords of wood for them.

Last year they loaned me the splitter. Loaned, no $, just my gas. This year I was going to split all mine by hand because I had it all here and cut up in April, but changed my mind when the grandma came over across the street and said they were going to put the splitter into summer storage, but she thought she'd come over and ask if I wanted to borrow it again.

My plans for the Fiskars SS and a long summer of splitting went RIGHT out the window. I said "YES THANK YOU," of course, and have been splitting wood all afternoon. About six more hours of splitting and it'll all be done, with a few days to stack it all and then the rest of the summer to relax and watch the wood dry. :D :D

Good neighbors are beyond the price of rubies. :clap: :clap:

Latest posts

Back